Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
greenfire6

greenfire6

My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner Empty
PostSubject: My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner   My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 12:50 am

This is where I will report most, if not all, of the mods and stuff I do to our two WRRs. Comments and suggestions are welcome as I proceed. This is going to be slow and boring however. I tend to ease into things and especially won't mess with the engine management system while the bikes are under warrenty.

I will list most everything but won't go into detail on the mods and such that are already well covered by others in this Forum. I will go into detail on stuff that I preceive may be new or not well covered.

Here are our new horses!
Build dates are Jan08 for the one that came off the showroom floor (mine) and June08 for the one that was stilll in a crate (the wife's).
My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner NEWWR250Rs017

I swapped out the stock mirrors with these. We've been using these robust, aftermarket mirrors for decades on our dual sport bikes. They mount into the perches and have a no nonsense ball joint that allows the stalk and mirror to pivot and fold down completely. Everything is adjustable including the degree of tension on the ball joint. For the photo I slid the dust boot up to reveal the ball joint. We buy these from Chaparral Motorsports in So. California, USA. I don't know who makes 'em but Chaparral list them as Folding Mirriors with a part number 360-1117 for normal thread and 360-1118 for Yamaha right hand perches. But we run only left hand mirriors.
My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner NEWWR250Rs001

My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner NEWWR250Rs006

The boys at the dealer routed the taillight wires wrong on the Jan08 build. (Incorrect routing shown.) I corrected that. While doing that I applied dielectric grease to all the single and multi pin connectors under the left side cover on both bikes. The boys at the dealer also forgot to tighten the aluminum bracket for the right side cover lower bolt and had the positive battery lug installed 90 degrees off which prevented the red plastic boot from fitting correctly. The bike that came outa' the crate (the wife's) appears to be dealer prepped correctly.
My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner NEWWR250Rs008

I'm going to leave the sidestand switches on for now. However I did reroute the wires to a slightly more protected path. I put a zip tie on each after I snapped the photo.
My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner NEWWR250Rs013

That's it for now! (I warned you this was going to be boring.) IMS 3.1s were backordered to the manufacturer but finally got shipped yesterday. Acerbis plastic skid plates are ordered. GPS hardwire kits are here and I will probably do that when I swap out the tanks. Still researching radiator guards and other goodies...
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner   My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 1:15 am

Nice bikes... beware of the fuel pump on that 1/08. Most failures were 2/08 but it's close enough that I'd be worried. After you get a couple thousand miles on it pay close attention to how it sounds while priming before a hot start.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner   My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 5:55 am

I believe those are Emgo mirrors; I had a set of them on a bike I owned, worked well. Nice bikes!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
greenfire6

greenfire6

PostSubject: Re: My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner   My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Hertz wrote:
Nice bikes... beware of the fuel pump on that 1/08. Most failures were 2/08 but it's close enough that I'd be worried. After you get a couple thousand miles on it pay close attention to how it sounds while priming before a hot start.

Thanks Hertz.

Yes, we discussed the possibility of faulty fuel pump(s) with the dealer. We'll be watching for the signs and symptoms, particulairly if and when warm weather gets here...

If it ever gets here, burrrrr!

What I can say is both pumps fire and sound identical at this point. Time will tell.

Just got notified the skid plates are on backorder. Yawn.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner   My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 8:19 pm

That first pic is epic! thumb wings

greenfire6

PostSubject: Re: My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner   My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Installed the IMS 3.1 gallon tanks. They fit great. No need to go into detail except I've read the stories about dropped tanks and broken fuel pump spigots. So I lassoed the tank to the handlebars while struggling the fuel line off the spigot:
My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner TANKSANDGPS008

One thing I did that may be of interest is I installed a "raceway" for running the Garmin power cable from the battery up to the coolant overflow bottle area. I used 3/8" OD air brake tubing. It is crush/kink resistant and large enough for two 14 AWG conductors or one Garmin power cable. This way I can replace/change things without lifting the tank:
My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner TANKSANDGPS003
Busy down at the battery. Photo shows fused Garmin power cable, single throw/single pole 10 AMP rated micro switch and fused battery maintainer connector. The Garmin 276C draws enough power to drain a motorcycle battery. Don't ask me how I know. baldy I need to be able to cut the external power to the 276C and let it go to it's own internal battery (like during a long photo or lunch stop). I didn't want to chop into the looms behind the headlight and I didn't want the external power to come from a closed ignition switch. Diane runs a little Garmin GPS III Plus so no switch necessary on her bike.
My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner TANKSANDGPS010

The big, honkin' 276C mounted to the handlebars via a Touratech mount. I took this picture sitting in the riding position. All this jive is proven on my previous dual sport ride... a Honda XR400. You can see the elevation in feet where we live. Very happy External power switch is "on" (closed) showing 11.7 volts from the motorcycle battery with engine off. (Not shown: 13.4 volts with engine idling).
My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner GPSANDSKIDPLATES003

Forgot to take a picture of the installed switch. I'll post one later.

Last edited by greenfire6 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
greenfire6

greenfire6

PostSubject: Re: My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner   My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Here is the installed switch. Easy to reach down and operate this switch with gloves on. At the same time it is in a very protected place. I guess the beauty of all this is I have not permanently altered anything on the bikes save a 3/8" hole drilled in the side cover on my bike.

My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner GPSPOWERSWITCH001

Also installed the plastic Acerbis skid plates. These are intended for WR250Fs. My killer heat gun came in handy for "spreading the wings" a bit which was necessary for an acceptable fit. No fastners come with these plates. I purchased stainless steel cap screws and stainless steel fender washers. 6MM 1.0 x 30MM up front and 6MM 1.0 x 16MM down and to the rear (not visible in photo). We tend to accumulate loads of fine fuel (twigs, leaves, etc.) between the crankcase and skidplate. I consider this a fire hazard and a impediment to engine cooling. So... I remove our skidplates often for cleaning. I made the fastners "captive" to the skidplate with cut lengths of rubber tubing. (Not visible in the photo.)
My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner GPSANDSKIDPLATES005

Look how vunrable the lower portion of the radiator is! GAHHHH That just won't do! Gotta make a decision about guards real soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner   My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner Empty

Back to top Go down

My WRR mods and accessories. An ongoing yawner
Page 1 of 1