Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?

Go down 
+12
kjharn
WRXR
mordicai
X-Racer
shep
5S Dude
dtx
DougZ
trav72
deerHater
YZEtc
bren5279
16 posters

How old are you?
<20
Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty3%Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty
 3% [ 3 ]
20-29
Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty33%Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty
 33% [ 34 ]
30-39
Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty23%Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty
 23% [ 23 ]
40-49
Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty23%Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty
 23% [ 23 ]
50-59
Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty12%Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty
 12% [ 12 ]
>60
Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty6%Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty
 6% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 102

AuthorMessage
bren5279

Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty
PostSubject: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 12:08 am

It seems like we actually have quite a bit of an older audience here... Considering the bike is reasonably affordable and good beginner bike I would have though wed have a lot of younger people on here.

Ill be the first to admit Im probably one of the younger ones (21 on 5/27) but Ive have 25+ bikes n do my own powdercoating n bike work so at least Ive been around the block. But how many other younger people are on here? N those of us who are slightly older, what makes you want to ride the 250x over other motorcycles?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:17 am

I've had a bunch of dirt bikes, dual-purpose bikes, and sport bikes over the years.
For myself, the way I feel right now, it's a combination of not feeling like spending $12,000 on another YZF-R1 and I'd rather be on a smaller bike where I can use everything it's got versus metering out the immense power in relatively small doses.
Believe it or not, if I was given a new R1 for absolutely free today, I'd put it up for sale and use the cash. :)

In my opinion, most young riders are very much concerned about peer pressure and buying a bike that will get them a slap on the back from their buddies.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 8:23 am

YZEtc wrote:
I've had a bunch of dirt bikes, dual-purpose bikes, and sport bikes over the years.
For myself, the way I feel right now, it's a combination of not feeling like spending $12,000 on another YZF-R1 and I'd rather be on a smaller bike where I can use everything it's got versus metering out the immense power in relatively small doses.
Believe it or not, if I was given a new R1 for absolutely free today, I'd put it up for sale and use the cash. :)
There are many alternatives between a WR250 and an R1. Take a ride on a Triumph 675 Street Triple. wink

I've done a far bit of riding, had my M-class license since 1979. I like having multiple bikes with different 'personalities.' I tend to prefer the lighter bikes too. The Norton Commando is my heaviest bike, and it's the closest I'll ever get to owning a cruiser. Very happy

I've done the bigger heavier bikes (Yamaha XS-Eleven, Suzuki GS1100E) many years ago. Also had the pleasure of touring the Alps on an older largish bike: borrowed 1980 Honda CBX. That was fun, but I wished I was on a more nimble bike. I returned for another Euro trip 3 years later, this time on a borrowed (that I now own) 1986 Honda NS400R V3 2-stroke. Excellent trip on that bike!

Except for a Honda 50 cc moped when I was 15, I've only had one bike smaller than my WR250: a 1981 Yamaha IT125 new in 1983. That's the only 'dirty' bike I ever owned.

If I added another bike to the stable, it would be a bigger supermoto, about a 500. Then I would convert my WR250X to a WR250R via Wheeling.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:34 am

I'm 38 and have had a ton of bikes in my garage. Everything from liter bikes, adventure bikes, big Dual sports, sport tourers and I even built a bad ass street fighter. But at this time in my life the WRR fits me perfectly. I ride single track on weekends, commute during the week, ride in DS events and I'm planning to ride in an enduro and a hare scramble in the near future. Not to mention the supermoto track days I have lined up this summer and the 2500 mile road trip I'll be taking it on. What other bike can do all of that with very little maintenance required? Yes, there are compromises that are made in all of those situations. But not enough that I don't have fun every time I ride it! thumb
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 12:36 pm

I am 37 and ride almost entirely offroad these days. Besides the WRR, I also still have my street bike, a 2003 Suzuki Sv1K. That poor thing barely gets ridden that much anymore.

I have ridden many bikes through the years.....have been riding for about 20 years now. Outside the WRR being on there, here my progression through many of them:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12245197#post12245197

( I know, i linked to another forum, but no way I am getting all that copied to over here)

After riding street and track for many years, and spending hours to find good paved roads, I just finally said its time to get off road, since I live right smack in the top of the NJ Pine Barrens. I had wanted the WRR initially, but finances made me get a used DRZ first. I road with that for a year plus, and decided to sell it before putting any more money into it, above what I already had, and decided to finally pull the trigger on the WR250R. The only thing I miss about the DRZ is the extra HP's it had over the WRR. Soon enough, I'll mod the WRR to get some more out if it.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 11:25 am

49 years
class,it fit in a dino class
40-45 on a 125cc
46-50 on a 250cc
50+ open bike
Was watching tards one nite at an indoor flat/mx track.They played with everybody,no down time.Looked like great bang for the buck.So i grabed an x then built extra wheels.
Have 14 bikes at this time,little yammie is a keeper. Makes a great trainer to sneek in some laps wink
Back to top Go down
5S Dude

5S Dude

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 11:58 am

57 years young, been riding since about 4 or 5. started out on a mini trail and moved up to bigger and faster bikes as time went on. Now that both our kids are in college and we've got no more house payments, we enjoy camping together and the two-fifty is simply the best tool in the shed. Even two up, it takes us virtually anywhere!

"Let's Ride While We Still Can!"
Back to top Go down
shep

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 2:41 pm

I'm 50 years old. Had my beginnings when I was 7 years old and have been going strong ever since. Starting young means I started off road, the usual dirt/motocross route. When I turned 16 my father bought me my first Dual Sport bike. Later I gravitated to strictly street riding and have gone through a large assortment of very nice machines over the years, mostly European. I am at a unique place in my life right now. For the past few years I was working a full-time job, running my own business on the side and finishing up a Master's degree. I am a high energy type and my life was chocked full of work with really no time to ride. Last year I bought an R1200GS and a Street Triple R, but never had time to ride them. Two weeks ago I sold my business and last week I graduated, so now I have the time to ride. I am considering this year to be the year that I am "Taking Back my Life."

I picked up the WR two weeks ago (have an X and just ordered R wheels) because it fills a space that I don't currently address with the bikes in my garage. I've had a few dual sports over the years and like the sound of this particular machine. I will do more road/gravel dirt road/adventure travel riding on it than actual trail riding. It will allow me to explore the roads I don't really want to take the other bikes down. I will take some weekend trips on it as well. Essentially, it allows me to expand my riding opportunities into another direction, while connecting somewhat with my past.

Shep
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 9:35 pm

bren5279 wrote:
It seems like we actually have quite a bit of an older audience here...

The data with 43 respondents looks skewed as you suggested. I would expect even (balanced) age responses. I'm 54 (riding since I was five years old) and she's 50 (started at 45 !).

bren5279 wrote:
....what makes you want to ride the 250x over other motorcycles?

I'll assume your question also applies to the WRR. I'm not so sure I'm convinced I want to ride the WRR any more than any other bike in the garage.

I like to ride them all. Ergonomically the WRR is really comfortable, it's quiet, smooth and easy to ride, but no more comfortable than the KTM SuMo which has a lot more power but no way near as smooth.. The KTM Brembo brakes are clearly superior. The hydraulic clutch rocks.

The Enduro (KTM - same platform as the SuMo with the Enduro components) is comfortable, quiet, smooth and powerful. probably the best all-round fit for general riding. Two-up (which we do around town) on it is a piece of cake. ....easier than the WR simply because it has more power with the 600cc powerplant. ...but having ridden two-up on some very twisty, turny, up and down hill with high speed sections, I gotta say the WR(R) is a very competent mount (my 220 and her 130 mind you).

The R1 is neither quiet or comfortable unless you are in fast turn-to-turn changes, then my body can keep moving and I don't pay much attention to comfort anyways. There's no place like that by the beach in LA so unless I plan to ride it out to a place to ride all day, I'd ride the WRR as an easy pick between all of them all.

In spite of the bright orange SuMo polished rims and CF "bling", the raciness of the R1 and the awkward look of the Enduro (good or bad, and for whatever reason) the WRR turns way more heads. ...which COULD be attributable to the grin from under the helmet.

Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 9:43 pm

71.......Got my first two wheeler in 1943, but had to wait until 1959 before I got one with a motor. Being on two wheels is a free spirited feeing I love.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 10:28 pm

I'm 33 and the WR is my first bike. dunno Better late than never.
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm 20. Owned a KLR 650 before the WR, and wanted something more offroad worthy and maneuverable. Had 8,500 of fun so far including numberous trips to motocross tracks, hill climbs, cliff jumps, hundreds of single trail miles, etc etc. It's not cosmetically pretty anymore, but damnit, I have a blast on it.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 11:15 pm

I'm getting up there too so I pull the average age and IQ up Sleep

Let's see if I can recall the list:

13 -- Cushman scooter....centrifugal clutch
16 -- Yamaha 360 twin, screamer
19 -- traded the 360 for a Yamaha RT!, first enduro
22 -- added a Husky 450WR, eventually sold the RT1
25 -- Huskey 360WR, sold the 450
26 -- added a BMW 600
36 -- traded the 360 for a Husky 430WR, Burleson replica
40 -- sold the BMW, rode the hell outa the Husky, one of the best ever, never even pulled the head
54 -- inherited a Kawasaki 1100 from son #1, rocket ship
60 -- sold the Kawasaki and DW got me a HD Road King for 60th, went to Sturgis
62 -- KLR 650, finally put the 430WR on Cycle Trader, sold in 2 hours for more than new
68 -- Sold the KLR (too heavy) and got a Yamaha WR250R, kept the HD; maybe the last bikes I buy

Now I'm on Medicare and SS, everyday is a vacation, except I can barely walk. lol!
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:50 am

TaoShum: Pretty funny. I resemble that remark. Thanks for the entertainment.

To your point... I quoted the bike's I've had since I was 5 years old somewhere.

Problem is I can't remember where I posted it.

Cheers to you .... dutch
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 9:37 am

My pimp list:

19: new 1979 Yamaha XS400
20: new Yamaha XS-Eleven, fully Vetter equiped. Ugh!
21: new Yamaha 550 Seca
22: new Suzuki GS750E, sold @ age 28.
23: new 1981 old stock Yamaha IT125, let's get dirty!
- bit of a break in there as at age 25 I bought a nice convertible: 1970 Jaguar E-Type roadster!
29: used 1982? Yamaha 750 Virago. Partial trade for my POS car. Bike was POS too, and I'm NOT a cruiser rider! Gave bike to nephew.
- more break as I started college at age 30.
35: used 1984 Kawasaki GPz 550. Excellent bike for 1 year as a born again bike.
35: used 1980 Suzuki GS1100E. Having 2 bikes is nice, when they're old they need more maintenance!
36: new Kwak ZX6E, replace GPz 550.
39: used 1973 Aermacchi Harley Davidson Z-90, showing 265 miles and original tires. Bought for $50. Still needs work.
40: new Suzuki SV650S. Great bike, put 66 K on it.
42: used 1997 Suzuki TL1000S, replaced ZX6E
43: used 1981 Suz GS1100G. 3 month: comfy rehaBike for end-of-season riding while recovering from first deer attack.
46: used 2002 Kwak KLR650, replaced TL1000S
47: used 1986 Honda NS400R, sweet little 2-stroke vintage sportbike.
48: used 1973 Norton 750 Commando.
49: new Triumph 675 Street Triple R, replaced SV650S
50: new Yamaha WR250X, replaced the KLR650.

I love the bikes I have now, but looking forward to others in the future! wink

Last edited by deerHater on Tue May 10, 2011 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 12:44 am

I guess you could say Ive been through a decent amound of dirt bikes with all the powdercoating n all, n some street
My bike list

Pw80
Rm125
ttr125
kx100
ttr125le
rm100
kx85
yz125
yz85
kx125
yz250f
crf150r
kx85 (#2)
crf250r
kx125(#2)
kx125(#3)
kx85(#3)
kx250f
Yzf600R
06 R6 Blue
08 R6 Orange
06 R6 Black ---------- all before I was 20 bannana
09 R6 White
08 Wr250x

Kinda supprised, so far we only have one person whos under 20 here. woulda thought we would have more people buying it as a starter bike.
I guess teenagers go for street bikes because they think it will make em look cool Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 6:35 am

42, nearly 43. Still, they say you're only as old as the woman you feel!!
First 'bike': Suzuki TS50X moped at 16. Restricted to 35mph as per UK law. It felt REALLY fast at the time!
No other bikes until 2008, when I took my test.
Second bike = CB250, 1993 model (US import!)
Third bike = WR250X, 2009 model, purchased March 2010. Used for commuting (when not raining) & hooliganism on weekend wink Great bike, but not quite fast enough. I love handling etc., but would love a 650cc version.... dunno
I am a 'petrol head', & have a license for almost everything, including crane, tractor, fork lift truck, cherry picker, bus, truck......... Should have got a bike YEARS ago - I am now totally hooked!!!
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:29 am

56 here. Not going to list all of the bikes, there have been many. The WR replaced my SV650S track bike and I also have a BMW K1200GT for the long-distance touring that I like to do. The WR is great fun, but I want more power, hence the Athena 290 kit that was delivered this week. Now I just have to find time to do the install!
Back to top Go down
kbike

kbike

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:33 am

I'm 66, been riding since I was 18. Started on British bikes, still have a few. The 250X is a really fun bike, perfect for what it was made for. Great for around town, and riding to the trails and on the trails. I don't plan on doing much to it. It is down on power, but If I want more I'll ride my WR450F, and if I want to ride two up on dirt I'll ride my KTM 990. I must say that the 250X is as much fun as the 450 or 990, and I'll probably be riding the 250 more than the 450.
I always say, you can never have to many motorcycles. wings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?   Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone? Empty

Back to top Go down

Wr250x owner ages - how old is everyone?
Page 1 of 1