Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Kickstand Switch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
granite4brains

granite4brains

Kickstand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Kickstand Switch   Kickstand Switch EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Well, I heard rumours about the kickstand switch leaving you stranded was a "when" and not an "if", so I was about to get rid of it.

.... until I did a search on here and read a mix of feelings on the matter. It sounded like some got stranded as a result of the mod.

What's considered the best option for this? Is the mod still a good idea, and what is the best way to perform the mod, if so?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, how many folks have kleft their kickstand on and never encountered any problems after many, many miles
Back to top Go down
skierd

Kickstand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Switch   Kickstand Switch EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Its not a big deal. The nice thing about these bikes is nothing really breaks unless you break it. My kickstand switch issue turned out to not be the kickstand switch at all, but a busted spark plug causing an unnecessary ground and throwing all kinds of weird codes. That being said, I don't miss having it. Same deal with the clutch switch, which I still have.

The switch can only leave you stranded if you aren't prepared for it. Bring a butt connector, a way to cut/strip wiring, and something to secure the connector and you'll be fine, all stuff you should have in a tool kit anyways. Or just do it at home as below...

Best way to perform the mod is to unbolt the switch, the follow the wiring up to the clip connecter under the side panel, behind the battery wiring harness. Unclip the switch and remove the wiring. On the wiring for the switch that you removed, below the clip cut the wires and tie them together. Then clip back in to the harness.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

Kickstand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Switch   Kickstand Switch EmptyFri May 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanks Skierd. I think I will just opt to throw the extra tools in my fender pack and leave it on for now.

Believe it or not, I actually try and ride away with that kickstand down now and then!
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Kickstand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Switch   Kickstand Switch EmptyFri May 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Remember the old adage
If it ain't broke don't fix it
No matter how many times you hear about a problem there are Vastly more people who DO NOT have the problem
So it only makes sense that you will likely NOT HAVE the problem either
And believe me, the first time you tip into a corner and put your side stand on the pavement you will see god, maybe literally if you do it in traffic
Back to top Go down
greer

Kickstand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Switch   Kickstand Switch EmptySat May 07, 2011 6:26 am

I think of that very thing. Way back in the day my brother-in-law rode off with the sidestand down, the ensuing crash into a mailbox just down the road resulted in a badly bruised spleen and caused him to be laid up for several, several days.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kickstand Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Switch   Kickstand Switch Empty

Back to top Go down

Kickstand Switch
Page 1 of 1