Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed

Go down 
+27
Trike
cryptomundo
SPL
DragonNester
Mikef5000
TBird1
Cygnus X1
foofighter
sock monkey
zestymac
connectusa
Chief_Lee_Visceral
Boondocker
pbnut
WRXZ
Midnite171
X-Racer
Claus22
Sproat Sport
Scharcon
ramz
mordicai
toast
thumpjump
GsVs
joenuclear
ncbuckeye
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ncbuckeye

AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  Empty
PostSubject: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptySat May 07, 2011 8:52 pm

It seems that polymer skid plates are hard to find for the WR, but after some pointers from others on ADVrider and here, I looked up AXP racing in France. I decided to order one directly after speaking to Pierre from AXP. I had to wire him the money, and he shipped it right away. It took 3 days to get to NY, then it sat in customs for over 2 wks, for no apparent reason. It showed up finally and here are some pics of the plate and installation. It seems like a very well made plate, you can see from the pics that the wings extend up pretty high. It covers the entire bottom of the frame, and includes a nifty little piece of angle alloy at the very back to bolt up the far back of the plate. Install was easy. The oil drain plug is aligned perfectly within the cutout. I'm very, very happy with it. I can give some more pics or details if anyone is interested.

AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  5697299373_75015a679e
IMG_1613 by WR250R NC, on Flickr Shog

Thickness: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  5697874372_b910d8afda
IMG_1614 by WR250R NC, on Flickr

Install Pieces: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  5697875000_8086f8d240
IMG_1615 by WR250R NC, on Flickr

Front Clearance: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  5697305129_d4b7f2ba8a
IMG_1624 by WR250R NC, on Flickr

AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  5697882608_9cd7f1fef8
IMG_1629 by WR250R NC, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Nice! What did it cost with shipping.
Back to top Go down
ncbuckeye

PostSubject: Cost   AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:26 pm

100 Euros, shipped by regular French Post. Right now with the exchange, works out to be $143. I had to wire money directly to AXP, which added $25 I wasn't expecting. eeek
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:29 pm

Hey nc ...

Looks great ...

Just wondering if you had a Alum skid plate on before you got this one ?? If so can you compare the noise difference ??

Thanks ...
ncbuckeye wrote:
It seems that polymer skid plates are hard to find for the WR, but after some pointers from others on ADVrider and here, I looked up AXP racing in France. I decided to order one directly after speaking to Pierre from AXP. I had to wire him the money, and he shipped it right away. It took 3 days to get to NY, then it sat in customs for over 2 wks, for no apparent reason. It showed up finally and here are some pics of the plate and installation. It seems like a very well made plate, you can see from the pics that the wings extend up pretty high. It covers the entire bottom of the frame, and includes a nifty little piece of angle alloy at the very back to bolt up the far back of the plate. Install was easy. The oil drain plug is aligned perfectly within the cutout. I'm very, very happy with it. I can give some more pics or details if anyone is interested.

Front Clearance: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  5697305129_d4b7f2ba8a

Back to top Go down
ncbuckeye

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:47 pm

GsVs,

I don't have any comparison to an Aluminum Plate on the noise- this is the first one I've used. I'd expect it would be significantly quieter, though. There seemed to be a lot of people noticing noise with the Aluminum plates, and that's one of the big reasons I went searching for a polymer plate.
Back to top Go down
thumpjump

PostSubject: Skid Plate   AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 7:17 am

I'm very interested in the plate too.

I'm stationed in Germany right now and can get these pretty easy. I could then ship them back to the States, or bring them with me when I move in a few months. Since I ship from a U.S. military base, I avoid much of the hassle with customs. If there is enough of an interest by other WRR riders, I may try to setup a wholesale purchase deal with AXP.

Jim
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 8:52 am

In if you get a group deal.
Back to top Go down
ncbuckeye

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:56 am

toast and thumpjump- I think Pierre from AXP would be interested in working with someone to get this plate to more people. He was very nice to work with and he mentioned he might look into selling it directly on the internet, and I encouraged him to do so. Before I bought it, I mentioned that I felt there would be an interest in his plate from other riders. Now that I have it in hand and see the fit and finish of it, it is a really well made piece, and anyone looking for a polymer plate would be very happy with this product.

Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:50 am

I had e-mail Pierre last month. Nice guy. I would be in for some sort of group thing on this plate.
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 11:39 am

I want two AXP skidplates.

Any way I can get 'em - group buy, military airlift, interweb, etc. AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  490865
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 11:59 am

It's the $ 25.00 bank wire fee that is the problem. If we had some way to get the money to pierre he would mail them to us for 100 euroes. Might take a couple of weeks but who cares.
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: one !   AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm in for one - on a group deal !
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Quote :
It's the $ 25.00 bank wire fee that is the problem.
$25 / 25 skidplates is $1 per skidplate overhead - I'll gladly pay it. Plus a share of shipping.

GROUP BUY! AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  619190

PS I tried to get my bank to do a money transfer and after several weeks, they decided they could do it for some exorbitant fee, much more than $25. So I never ordered from AXP. It's no easier sending a bank check overseas, either. AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  9356
Back to top Go down
thumpjump

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 4:56 pm

I just talked to Pierre at AXP and he said if I can come up with a quantity of skid plates to order, he will give me a wholesale discount. Perhaps I could buy them from AXP, then take Paypal payment directly and ship them out to you guys. I can ship them through the US Postal Service on the military base, thus avoiding most of the customs crap, and it's a lot cheaper than shipping international.

So whatever the cost is, plus shipping, and Paypal fees is all I would charge. So maybe add, 5% to the total price and that should cover everything. I'm not looking to make a profit on this deal, but I don't want to lose money either.
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Add this to the AX1037 AXP skidplate IN list please:

ramz (Rick Ramsey) - 2 skidplates

I will happily pre-pay; today if necessary.
Back to top Go down
Scharcon

PostSubject: AXP Skidplate   AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Quote :
I'm in for one - on a group deal !

+1 thumb
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:31 pm

Count me in for one too.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:27 pm

GsVs wrote:
Hey nc ...

Looks great ...

Just wondering if you had a Alum skid plate on before you got this one ?? If so can you compare the noise difference ??

Thanks ...
ncbuckeye wrote:

Did you notice any noise difference after putting it on?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyTue May 10, 2011 1:51 am

Do you have any pics of the bottom mount ?

It looks cleaner ( and looks like it provides more protection ) than our Acerbis adaptations.

...and so what is the bottom line cost ?
Back to top Go down
thumpjump

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyTue May 10, 2011 2:23 am

X-Racer wrote:

I'm working on a deal with AXP right now. I asked them for a quote on 25 skid plates. I let you know the price when I know.

Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyTue May 10, 2011 2:36 am

Quote :
I asked them for a quote on 25 skid plates.
25 isn't gonna be nearly enough AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  4007133800
Back to top Go down
thumpjump

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyTue May 10, 2011 3:17 am

ramz wrote:
Quote :
I asked them for a quote on 25 skid plates.
25 isn't gonna be nearly enough

I told him that I may order more later, but the first batch would be 25. I'm not willing to dump more than 3k on inventory, especially if I'm not making anything on the deal.

It's not exactly legal for me to run a business using the U.S.P.S. on a military base and avoiding custom fees, etc. So I need to keep it as a transaction among "friends" for now.

Back to top Go down
ncbuckeye

PostSubject: More pics   AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:04 am

X-Racer wrote:
Do you have any pics of the bottom mount ?

It looks cleaner ( and looks like it provides more protection ) than our Acerbis adaptations.

Here is a picture of looking up at the drain plug from the ground- it's the best I could get with the camera- the front of the bike is to the right.

AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  5697306473_9c9d5ba18a
IMG_1627 by WR250R NC, on Flickr

Here is one of the little piece of angle alloy for the rear-most attachment point:
AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  5697301755_4476ac622c
IMG_1618 by WR250R NC, on Flickr

Here is one from the side showing how far back the plate extends:
AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  5697306113_d5f5091a4e
IMG_1626 by WR250R NC, on Flickr

Total cost for me was $143 + 25 bank transfer= $168 eeek

I think it is awesome that thumpjump is working on a deal-hopefully the rest of you wont have to pay the bank fee.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:27 am

Looks good!!!
Back to top Go down
WRXZ

WRXZ

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:05 am

Count me in for one. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed    AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed  Empty

Back to top Go down

AXP Racing Skidplate (Plastic) Installed
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next