Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Proper chain slack...

Go down 
+2
SheWolf
mucker
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mucker

mucker

Proper chain slack... Empty
PostSubject: Proper chain slack...   Proper chain slack... EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 11:29 pm

So...while on the kickstand, the chain should be, approx, 1/2" from the swing arm, while holding up the middle of the slack towards the swingarm?
Sounds straight forward.
Gotta do this tmo for first time.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Proper chain slack...   Proper chain slack... EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Yeah, that's the rule of thumb I go by. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Proper chain slack...   Proper chain slack... EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 1:54 am

Check the chain while someone is sitting on the bike. With the swing arm parallel to the output shaft it will set the rear at its maximum. I just make sure at that point it is not to tight.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Proper chain slack...   Proper chain slack... EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 am

usgpru27 wrote:
Check the chain while someone is sitting on the bike. With the swing arm parallel to the output shaft it will set the rear at its maximum. I just make sure at that point it is not to tight.

That's the whole ball of wax, basically:
It will be at it's tightest when the front sprocket shaft, swingarm pivot shaft, and rear wheel axle are aligned.
Most riders don't realize this, and tend to run their chains too tight in fear that it's too loose.
All seems okey-dokey with the bike unlaiden on the side stand, but once somebody sits on the seat and the rear suspension compresses, all of the slack is gone and the chain gets as tight as a bow string in the movie Deliverance.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Proper chain slack...   Proper chain slack... EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 8:44 am

I would assume that's why Yamaha amended the chain adjustment spec <--which can be found in this thread here

(not sure why people keep asking the same questions over and over when there is clearly a sticky thread regarding the EXACT topic in question)

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Proper chain slack...   Proper chain slack... EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 10:26 am

Sorry bout that, read the stickies so long ago, i tend to forget they are there. I searched for a thread but didn't have much luck...and the beer didn't help.
Anywho, my first adjust was as easy as you all made it out to be...heh, all excited over nuthin.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Proper chain slack...   Proper chain slack... EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 10:30 am

's all good....mods can merge threads.

freaky

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Rule292

Rule292

PostSubject: Re: Proper chain slack...   Proper chain slack... EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 12:41 pm

YZEtc wrote:
usgpru27 wrote:

That's the whole ball of wax, basically:
It will be at it's tightest when the front sprocket shaft, swingarm pivot shaft, and rear wheel axle are aligned.
Most riders don't realize this, and tend to run their chains too tight in fear that it's too loose.
All seems okey-dokey with the bike unlaiden on the side stand, but once somebody sits on the seat and the rear suspension compresses, all of the slack is gone and the chain gets as tight as a bow string in the movie Deliverance.

After I added my Yamalink and replaced sprocket/chain and adjusted the new chain to spec, I leaned over the bike putting my lower chest/body weight on the seat while doing a header down at the chain. I was amazed at how much slack was removed when the swingarm was nearly parallel to the ground and all of the sprockets /pivot were in the same plane.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proper chain slack...   Proper chain slack... Empty

Back to top Go down

Proper chain slack...
Page 1 of 1