Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?

Go down 
+8
CDNSXV
jason meacham
X-Racer
BuilderBob
mordicai
motokid
SheWolf
densecity
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
densecity

6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  Empty
PostSubject: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Hello,
I just got my MS license. I have no prior riding experience.
I am looking for a bike to get me around NYC. I will rarely go above 65mph.
Some people are telling me I am stupid to get a 250 because of my size. Many have suggested a DRZ

I asked this question on another forum and got some decent answers, but I am looking for advice from people around my size or who know people in the same situation.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:43 pm

This bike will take you wherever you want to go. We have a lot of bigger guys here who love the bike, and ride it as an only commuter. Being you want to commute, it's a good bike for doing just that. Good fuel economy, very low maintenance schedule, and the list of mods you can do to it are endless (if you decide to go that route). I'm sure some of the bigger boys here will be able to give you their input on how well this 'little 250' performs. Many of them have taken this bike over the DRZ. thumb

motokid

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Actually - the physical size of the 250x will fit you better. The seat height is higher I believe than a DRZ.

I'm glad you didn't ask the question here like you did over at SMJ. thumb amazon hide

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Oh man...Ed you have the uncanny ability to stir the pot. poser2 Don't make me go there and have to look for it. lurk

motokid

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:54 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Oh man...Ed you have the uncanny ability to stir the pot. poser2 Don't make me go there and have to look for it. lurk

Making friends and influencing people..... poser2 poser2 poser2

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm 240 lbs and I rip on this bike. Love it.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Lots of people your size get scooters of half the displacement or less of the WR for commuting, and they work just fine for them. It just depends on how you plan to use it. At your size, if you get a WR and really start getting into it, I'm guessing that it won't be long before you'll want something with more umph. At that point, you'll want to skip right over the DRZ and move on to one of the larger displacement KTMs or similar.

You've got 85 pounds and 8" on me and I have already upgraded to a 290 big bore kit and still want more (310 to 320 kit on the schedule). Then again, I have other, bigger bikes and have been riding for a long time, so I'm accustomed to having more power on tap.

I think that the WR will be a plenty satisfying bike to start out on, but you'll probably outgrow it in time.

Ok flamers. Bring it on! hide
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:08 pm

BuilderBob wrote:
Lots of people your size get scooters of half the displacement or less of the WR for commuting, and they work just fine for them. It just depends on how you plan to use it. At your size, if you get a WR and really start getting into it, I'm guessing that it won't be long before you'll want something with more umph. At that point, you'll want to skip right over the DRZ and move on to one of the larger displacement KTMs or similar.

You've got 85 pounds and 8" on me and I have already upgraded to a 290 big bore kit and still want more (310 to 320 kit on the schedule). Then again, I have other, bigger bikes and have been riding for a long time, so I'm accustomed to having more power on tap.

I think that the WR will be a plenty satisfying bike to start out on, but you'll probably outgrow it in time.

Ok flamers. Bring it on! hide

No flaming, but the idea that the X - or a 250cc is a beginner bike is a bit errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....wrong.

I've been riding motorcycles since 1985-ish. I roadraced an FZR400 with AMA/CCS and then ended up with an R1 for a few years in the mid 2000's.

I sold the R1 to get my 250x.

By far this X is ten-thousand times more entertaining than my R1 ever was.

Riding a slow bike fast really is more fun than riding a fast bike slow.
Throw in the ability to go off-road, and climb stairs along with some other hooliganism and the X dominates the fun scale.

Guys are stunting these, racing them on cart tracks and SUMO tracks, adding turbos and big-bores, commuting, and being downright crazy with some of the stuff they do on these.

The DRZ platform is decades old technology. The suspension, from what I'm told is not as adjustable as the X. The X is lighter.

Yes - there are some people who live and breath by the mantra: There's no replacement for displacement.

If that's the case, like you've said, the DRZ will get "boring" just as fast as an X will and thoughts will quickly move to KTM's Husky's and Aprilias.

I just hate the thought process that says the X is a beginner bike, or potentially boring simply because it's a 250cc.

That's not giving our machines the proper respect they deserve.

IMHO

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:59 pm

+1 I've had lots of bikes,Honda bmw suzuki yamaha nothing comes close to the fun I have with this bike. I would not trade it for a BMW 1200GS, No way.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 12:21 am

densecity wrote:
Hello,

- I just got my MS license.

- I have no prior riding experience.

- I am looking for a bike to get me around NYC.

- I will rarely go above 65mph.

- Some people are telling me I am stupid to get a 250 because of my size.

So.... If we (Collectively) try ( I know it's hard for some) stick strictly to the OPs needs and factors and forget the UNRELATED errata about going fast, power, wanting more later, racing, experience, racing experience, the fun factor, why we have so many new vampire series on TV... etc etc... and all that hoopla we can PROBABLY ( if all try REAL hard) provide a meaningful, directly related answer.

So here we go.. I have no idea why the vampires on TV prey on men. I thought they lived on VIRGIN BLOOD ! I don't get that at all. scratch

Anyways.. Back to the subject. wink

IMO, you couldn't pick a better bike - Period.

I would guess that the opposing opinions WRT your mass are based strictly on THEIR utilization which may include freeway commuting whereby the ability to accelerate quickly has a POTENTIAL safety advantage.

On the other hand, if you never get yourself into a position and accurately calculate/estimate your ability to accelerate as well as time and distance (A = D*T) you'll never be short (safety-wise). No pun intended.

IOW: Having more power isn't safer if you lack the ability to accurately calculate time, space, margin and capability.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:42 am

motokid wrote:
I just hate the thought process that says the X is a beginner bike, or potentially boring simply because it's a 250cc.

That's not giving our machines the proper respect they deserve.

IMHO

The WR isn't a great beginner's bike just because it's 250cc. It has quality bits and technology not typically found on most beginner's bikes and has the potential for being a very satisfying mount for a long time, as is evidenced by all of the preceding favorable testimony.

Don't get me wrong guys. I enjoy the hell out of mine. I just remember back in the day when I started out on a small bike. It wasn't long before I wanted more. Additionally, I am in no way suggesting that the WR wouldn't be a good choice for the OP. I just know how these things progress. All of the responses to my post are from experienced riders who have had many motorcycles, so I am fairly certain that you went through a similar progression as well.

I will say this: The WR is WAY more fun than the Hayabusa that I used to have (glad I got rid of that thing), and I think it would be a great first bike for the OP. Obviously, it appeals to riders of all ages and experience levels. thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 8:51 am

The key with any motorcycle purchase is being honest with yourself about what you want and the kinds of riding you'd like to do.

If you want a touring machine, or a bike that can keep up with sportbikes on long straight roads, or something you can pose by and hope to impress people with - the 250x isn't for you.

If you want to really test your riding abilities and explore off-road situations while still being able to carve tight twisty roads with confidence the X might be for you.

Cross-country road trips? While a few have done it, Skierd, I wouldn't on an X.

The question really comes back to the individual and what they "really and truly" want from a motorcycle.

If they are not honest about what they want and why - they run the risk of not being happy regardless of whatever they purchase.

I'd think a wr250x would be a perfect urban assault hooligan tool even at 230+ pounds.

I've ridden two up where combined weight is over 250 pounds and never felt the bike was overloaded at all.

But if all your friends are telling you a 250cc bike is just a toy you'll outgrow in the first week, and they all ride 100+ horsepower sportbikes ...... well, they just don't have a clue how much fun these bikes can be.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 9:17 am

"If you want a touring machine, or a bike that can keep up with sportbikes on long straight roads, or something you can pose by and hope to impress people with - the 250x isn't for you. "

I don't know about that. I was at the beach one day and pulled in next to a chromed out, polished up Harley. So we are sitting there on our bikes; me 71 and a bit around the bend and this blond haired brute on his dream machine.....checking out the action...when this very hot chick in a bikini comes along, checks us out, and say's to me......"Nice Bike Dude", as she walks by.....no substitute for good taste.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 9:50 am

mordicai wrote:
"If you want a touring machine, or a bike that can keep up with sportbikes on long straight roads, or something you can pose by and hope to impress people with - the 250x isn't for you. "

I don't know about that. I was at the beach one day and pulled in next to a chromed out, polished up Harley. So we are sitting there on our bikes; me 71 and a bit around the bend and this blond haired brute on his dream machine.....checking out the action...when this very hot chick in a bikini comes along, checks us out, and say's to me......"Nice Bike Dude", as she walks by.....no substitute for good taste.

bow bow mordicai the STUD bow bow

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 10:04 am

Oh no, I don't think she even looked at me.....she was blinded by the beauty of my white wr250x!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 11:24 am

Yeaaah you'd be amazed what grey hairs can do to some young females out there. You've got experience. Very happy

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 11:30 am

SheWolf wrote:
Yeaaah you'd be amazed what grey hairs can do to some young females out there. You've got experience. Very happy

Oh yea... That's it. The grey hair. No wonder I can barely get out of my driveway.

Lucky I took all my passenger pegs off I'd have to have some hot chick in a bikini always wanting me to take her for a ride (so to speak).
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 11:49 am

Quit talking about your wife like that Rob. If you asked nicely she'd probably fore-go the bikini. wink deal

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 10:17 am

Hello,,,,Motokid took the words out of my mouth" it's alot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" I'm 6'2'' and 255lbs. and my wrr is just fine for me. it's got the usual performance mods which made the bike even more fun..I'm sure most guys will agree that whatever bike they own ,they wish they had a little more power..this bike has enough power to have alot of fun but not too much power to get you in trouble..as far as anyone saying a 250 is too small..F%&K them..I hear it all the time,,,these assholes think a 750 is a beginers bike,,,when I bought my wrr I was going to the dealership to buy a drz400 but ended up getting the wrr and i'm glad. I couldn't think of a better bike for nyc than a wr250x..just yesterday i stopped and looked at a used X about a mile down the road from my house and I'm still thinking about it,,if I only had an extra $4200 in my pocket there might be two wr's in my garage....................good luck.......Jason
Back to top Go down
densecity

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 12:33 am

I really appreciate all the insight. I think I am going with the wr, now i just need to find one at the right price.

Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 2:06 am

Make sure you get the Grecian Formula stuff to hide the grey hair.

We don't want to hear about a misplaced bikini top obscuring your vision and going face first into, well... You get the idea.

Come on back and tell us the rest of the story (ies).
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 4:40 pm

I am 210 lbs and 6'2" and have no problems adapting to the little WRX. It is a great little bike. I commute on mine and love both the gas mileage AND the fun factor. It takes all the stress out of my day to go flying through traffic, over curbs, down boulevards and past all the drones fuming in their big gas sucking SUV's.

For anyone who thinks they need more power, maybe take a lesson from my experiences. My first sumo was an Aprilia SXV 550. I was an expert level roadracer and had ridden everything up to an FZR1000. I had over 20 years riding and racing experience and figured a mere 70 hp sumo couldn't be all that bad. Boy was I WRONG. That bike did nothing but hurt me and hurt me badly. I now have a laundry list of injuries that will affect me for decades if not the rest of my life.

The Aprilia is an EVIL BEAST and it is not really all that much fun to ride in the dirt cause it is fricken terrifying. It also doesn't have much in the way of bottom end torque so it isn't the easiest hooligan bike either.

I have been riding the WR in the dirt and doing all my big hooligan stuff on it because it is so much more forgiving of hamfisted inputs.

I would actually dispute the idea the WR250X isn't a beginner's bike. Sure it is because after all we put beginners on less powerful, more forgiving machinery but ridden skillfully by someone who knows what they are doing, it is capable of a whole lot more. Like others have said, the longer I ride the more I enjoy riding smaller bikes.

The guys who claim to have outgrown any motorcycle are fools, fooling themselves. I roadraced an SV650 and we were at the level where we were twisting the forks trail braking into corners yet there were guys who could leave me for dead. I never once felt bored on that bike or that I had outgrown it and needed something bigger.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 7:17 pm

I am 6'3" and weigh 205lb. At the dealership, they had a WR and a DRZ400 sitting there. I chose the WR over the DRZ because I liked the higher seat, the stiffer suspension in the back, the newer technology (fuel injection, 6 gears etc.) and the looks.
On my first ride I was a bit disappointed about the power, my Quad (Bombardier DS650) had a better acceleration.
Sometimes I'd like a bit more power but then again the bike handles so great and is light, I don't regret buying it.
Back to top Go down
johnnyadventurepants

johnnyadventurepants

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Little late to the party, but I think it'll be just fine for you. I'm 6'8" 250 lbs and I'm loving mine. It's a fun little bike. Light dual sports are way more fun in town than larger bikes. I also think it's a good beginner bike because of it's low maintenance. If you decide that you like it, you could add bar risers and a taller seat if you felt so inclined.
Back to top Go down
johnnyadventurepants

johnnyadventurepants

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 pm

However...... one negative thing about small light bikes is that they are easy to steal. Make sure to have secure parking/ locked up etc. Especially in the big city.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?    6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?  Empty

Back to top Go down

6'4", 235lbs - am I too big for a WRX?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WR250X Specific-
Jump to: