Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice

Go down 
+3
Rule292
motokid
cuban11182
7 posters
AuthorMessage
cuban11182

Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 8:59 pm

So I've never purchase a chain, or replacement sprocket for any of my bikes. I know that I want to go with either a 47 or 48 on the rear of my X. I've also read that I will need to get a different chain with more links to accommodate the larger sprocket. I've also read something about having to replace the bolts for the rear sprocket with a different type, is that corret? Finally I know I will need a SpeedoDRD to fix my already off speedo.

I don't really know the differences in chains, or good manufacturers either. Can someone point me to some good reading, and/or suggest a good location to purchase them.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 9:12 pm

I got my chain and sprockets from rockymountainatv.com

X and O ring chains need less maintenance, and theoretically last longer because of it.

They also rob some power from the rear wheel.

The bolts for the rear sprocket depend on the sprocket you get.

I used the stock Yamaha bolts on mine without any issues at all.

I would not buy aluminum sprockets. I got steel ones. Heavier, but much more durable.

On some level you're just going to have to make a choice on your own. Many people will have different opinions on what's "best".

Check out rockymountainatv.

They did right by me. You can select things based on your model and year.

Good luck - and pictures are always welcome.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Rule292

Rule292

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 11:53 pm

motokid wrote:
I got my chain and sprockets from rockymountainatv.com

X and O ring chains need less maintenance, and theoretically last longer because of it.

They also rob some power from the rear wheel.

The bolts for the rear sprocket depend on the sprocket you get.

I used the stock Yamaha bolts on mine without any issues at all.

I would not buy aluminum sprockets. I got steel ones. Heavier, but much more durable.

On some level you're just going to have to make a choice on your own. Many people will have different opinions on what's "best".

Check out rockymountainatv.

They did right by me. You can select things based on your model and year.

Good luck - and pictures are always welcome.

As always, good advice!

I got my 48t sprocket, a plain old steel one, and Regina chain at Rocky Mountain and they had them here to the right coast in 3 days flat. The steel sprocket I bought worked fine with the factory bolts, it had both tapered and not holes. They were out of 112 link Regina O ring chains when I ordered so I bought longer and cut back to 112 which works perfect. I entertained buying an Ironman sprocket but figured it was overkill for what I needed. Like Motokid, I don't care for aluminum. Function over form for me.

One thing I might add is that I went with the less popular Regina because they were good to me years ago. I didn't think to order a spare master link and of course I butchered it doing the install. Adding insult to stupidity, I should have realized that nobody in this area stocks the Regina master links, just the common (and equally as good) DID. And since each chain mfrs 520 roller pins may be slightly different I didn't just want a generic. So I had to pay freight for a few extra links.

Thus a subtle reminder from my stupidity, always get an extra master link or two of both clip on and press on types when you buy your chain. Very happy
Back to top Go down
socalmike

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 2:12 am

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/c/250668/1/wr-250rx-09-10.html

~mike
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 4:52 am

So this is what I am thinking based on what everyone has said:

RK 520EXW XW-RING Chain 520x112
&
Primary Drive Rear Steel Sprocket 48 Tooth

Thanks for all the information. I'm going to wait and see what the outcome is of the new Hot Rods Stroker kit, to see how they turn out as well.
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm

cuban11182 wrote:
So this is what I am thinking based on what everyone has said:

RK 520EXW XW-RING Chain 520x112
&
Primary Drive Rear Steel Sprocket 48 Tooth

Thanks for all the information. I'm going to wait and see what the outcome is of the new Hot Rods Stroker kit, to see how they turn out as well.

I just got my order in from rocky mtn. and I had ordered exactly what you did. I got on this forum after looking at the sprocket and starting to wonder if I need the tapared bolt set as well (which I neglected to order). I haven't removed the old sprocket yet, were you able to use the stock sprocket bolts?
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 7:33 am

I just put chain and sprokets on from Rocky Mountain ATV. 14 t on front and 49t on back. All Primary Drive brand. I did not need the tappered bolts for the rear. The rear sprocket was set up with holes to use eaither the tappered or the stock bolts. There are two sets of holes in it.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 9:40 am

bsheet2 wrote:
I just put chain and sprokets on from Rocky Mountain ATV. 14 t on front and 49t on back. All Primary Drive brand.

Which 14T did you get? I just looked and all that they have in the Primary Drive is the 12T and 13T. Supersprox had one though.

I like the Primary Drive stuff. It is cheap and long lasting. I was planning on trying our their 520 RDO chain because of the redesigned center links. My plan is to go 14/51 with a 114 link chain.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 11:08 am

OK. I might have figured this out. If you select the link to other bikes that the countersprocket works on and select another bike, then you are able to select the 14T. Is this how it has to be done in order to get the 14T or do you select a certain bike first? I guess that this option is not available because it interferes with the stock case protector.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Ok, I do not think my 14t is Primary Drive brand. Can't remeber what brand it was. But it is a known brand. Everything else is Primary Drive.

Edit >> It is a Renthal 14t.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:54 am

bsheet2 wrote:
Ok, I do not think my 14t is Primary Drive brand. Can't remeber what brand it was. But it is a known brand. Everything else is Primary Drive.

Edit >> It is a Renthal 14t.

Ok I see that now. Only the renthal rear sprockets are aluminum. That is the reason that I did not choose them the first time.

They also have a RMA front sprocket on closeout for $5.25 right now.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 3:07 pm

What??! That 14t sprocket I put on there is aluminim?? Crap, I did not see that and I did not notice it handling it. wings

Oh...mine is the front sprocket. Pretty sure it is steel.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:21 pm

The front one is supposed to be steel. The rear one is the aluminum one. I don't think that an aluminum counter sprocket would last very long.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice   Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Want to purchase new chain and sprocket. NeWb needs advice
Page 1 of 1