Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?

Go down 
+7
oic0
f3joel
boyce418
Goosed
trav72
pbnut
KC0514
11 posters
AuthorMessage
KC0514

KC0514

My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? Empty
PostSubject: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:05 pm

I've realized that I enjoy riding my WR on the twisty back roads more than the dirt. So I've decided to pull the trigger and buy some X wheels.

I'm stuck between buying one of these two:
http://www.motostrano.com/sucokibabo.html
It seems like it has everything I need in a complete package for $1300 shipped to my door.

Or buying wheels from Wheeling for $1050 and then whatever brake parts I will need , and tires.
http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/1/12/index.shtml

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by KC0514 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 pm

I think if you're in Baaston, you'll be much happier on the X setup.

I can't speak to your choices, but we know the OEM stuff works. I've heard nothing about using the Motostrano kit.

Side note, I'm flying into Boston Labor Day weekend to see a lady friend of mine. wink
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:24 pm

I'm not sure about the Motostrano kit either. I would call them and make sure there is a caliper relocation bracket with the kit.

For ease of converting it, the wheeling wheels are your best bet. You'll still be able to use the R caliper. But, then you are stuck using a smaller rotor on the street. I bought the X wheels, X caliper/master cylinder and swap out the entire front brake assembly when I switch over. Which is at least once a week. I've got the conversion down to 20 minutes.

This is Friday
My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? Logan-13

This is Saturday
My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? Woodla10
Back to top Go down
Goosed

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 1:43 am

I would go with the $1300 kit it will save you some money and all the parts are good parts too. A friend of mine bought a kit from them for his YZ450F race bike and he likes it.
Back to top Go down
boyce418

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 10:35 am

is it just as easy to do the opposite? I mean, change the X into the R......
Back to top Go down
boyce418

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 10:37 am

oh, and Trav..... is that a lighting kit for the tailights and plate? looks real nice thumb
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 3:52 pm

you might want to contact motostrano before ordering
looks to me like it is for the wr 250/450 not the wr250x/r
complete different bikes
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Are you going to be going back and forth between wheels? Rear hubs are the same, could just use a spoke kit and rim to turn the rear wheel in to a super moto wheel. I think aftermarket 4.25 rear wheels would be a bit overkill for the WR250, more weight and not really any benefit.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:42 pm

boyce418 wrote:
is it just as easy to do the opposite? I mean, change the X into the R......

Yes. It's the same either way

boyce418 wrote:
oh, and Trav..... is that a lighting kit for the tailights and plate? looks real nice thumb

It's the Edge tail light.

f3joel wrote:
you might want to contact motostrano before ordering
looks to me like it is for the wr 250/450 not the wr250x/r
complete different bikes

I agree. I don't think it's for the R either. I think that's the F kit.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 1:04 pm

unless things have changed since I contacted them that kit from motostrano will NOT work on the WR250R.
Back to top Go down
KC0514

KC0514

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 8:13 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!

You guys are right. The kit is NOT for the WR250R. Looks like I'll be calling Wheeling tomorrow.

Sure made the decision really easy to make now.

Thanks again,
Mark
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 9:50 pm

FWIW Forrest at Wheeling is really pleasant to work with putting together a solution for the conversion.
Back to top Go down
brentwr

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 10:09 pm

craigq wrote:
FWIW Forrest at Wheeling is really pleasant to work with putting together a solution for the conversion.

Agreed...spoke with Forrest today and he is more than helpful...I will be going SM with Wheeling as soon as I can afford it.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: R to X   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 10:58 pm

There seem to be a number of X folks looking for R wheels. I have a X and did the swap with an R rider in the same state....Total cost for each of us; $Zero.
Give it a shot....

Cheers, Rick
Back to top Go down
KC0514

KC0514

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 12:21 pm

I would love to do a swap with someone.

I have a very small ding in the rear wheel, I have to get that checked out 1st.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by KC0514 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KC0514

KC0514

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 12:43 pm

Bummer, I just talked to Forrest and he is all out of the proper wheels. Gotta wait 2 weeks until they come in.

But it's still the best option out there. So, looks like I wait a few weeks.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?   My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose? Empty

Back to top Go down

My R will soon be an X, which kit would you chose?
Page 1 of 1