Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?

Go down 
+6
dnf
Jäger
rc23
Arkmage
sturgeon
combo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
combo

combo

WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? Empty
PostSubject: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 6:32 am

Hi guys

I know there have been Scotts group buys and other owners have the GPR damper

How do they rate for your riding terrain and style

Tossing up whether to buy one or not, I'm 50/50 at the moment, I've got the money so maybe I just want to be persuaded Very happy
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 am

I've got a Scotts on a much bigger bike that I love (both the damper and the bike). But I haven't convinced myself yet that I'd need one on the WRR. It depends a lot on riding style and location. I'm a geezer, and sand is my nemesis, but so far I haven't felt I need one.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 am

subscribed... I've been wondering the same myself. I haven't got a lot of experience in performance riding (track or offroad) so I've never needed one... now that I'm getting aggressive I think it might be helpful at times.
Back to top Go down
rc23

rc23

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:16 am

Having just roadraced my X I can say that I don't think it needs a damper. With the exception of a few downhill highspeed turns that are a little sketchy the front end felt fine.

I'm all about suspension and I honestly can't ride my race bikes without a damper but the X has such a small amount of power the front end doesn't get light unless you want it to so its not surprising.

Just my $.02 but I think it would be a waste of money. Can't speak for riding offroad or on a WRR.

Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:32 am

I think the need is self defining. I don't think whether you're 50/50 or whatever ratio has much to do with it.

I'm pretty solid 50/50 and I have no need whatsoever for a steering dampener. But I don't ride in sand, lots of loose gravel, places where I get a lot of front wheel deflection, etc. If the bars are telling you the front wheel has a mind of its own a lot of the time, then you're probably a good candidate for spending money on a dampener.

The money for one would go a long way towards having Go Race or somebody similar play with parts of, or all, your suspension. Probably to greater benefit in many cases.
Back to top Go down
dnf

dnf

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 10:41 pm

I have a brand new Scott's damper sitting in a box (was bought for an unfinished SV650s race bike).
Was wondering if I could use it for my WRR but I have no idea why I would want it. 80% off road use. 1% sand use.
Probably need some expensive adaptor.
Back to top Go down
rc23

rc23

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 8:40 am

I was in the same boat bc I have 2 dampers on my R6 race bikes - love that they're universal. Here's the mount - Scotts Mount

Def not needed for $225...and the sub mount is a must for dirt bikes from my experience - that one is $289!

Again, maybe it is needed for the dirt or sand but as far as roadracing or serious street riding - I just can't see it.

Back to top Go down
got_the_bug

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 10:48 am

I know that the Scott's damper makes a significant difference on my bike, although that may have a lot to do with the specific tires/PSI I'm running. The PO of my WR250R had installed both the damper and a set of Michelin AC10s (front and rear). The damper was at it's lowest setting, and I didn't touch any adjustments until I hit some rutted pavement around 60mph...I realized that "front end twitch" was an understatement. Once I dialed up the damper and increased the resistance, my knuckles no longer turn white and the cold sweats are gone when I encounter similar situations... Very happy

I do like the tires...they have been great so far on the dirt roads and limited trails I've ridden, so the fact that I can change the sensitivity of the front end on pavement for tires that are more suited for dirt is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:23 pm

I never used one until about a month ago when I bought a used kx250f that already had one. I definitely like having it. there are times where I feel like I'm fighting against it rather than it helping me but there are also times that would have required a lot of energy to save the bike from going over if I was on the WR vs hardly feeling anything on the KX. if i sold the KX and used the WR for trail riding again I'm not sure I would go spend the money myself even though I really like it, but I would if I rode more sand and really loose stuff. that probably doesn't help you make up your mind at all.
Back to top Go down
combo

combo

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks for the replys

I've purchased some wheel weights to counter the rimlock on the front wheel, maybe this will smooth things out a little but I don't know if it will satisfy, I do tend to tense up on dry sand and other loose stuff, I've heard some people can ride comfortably faster offroad with a damper it's that true and also makes riding safer I think they could be worthwhile
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:11 am

On all the dirtbikes I've owned, I've never had need for a steering damper. I can't say the bike fights me in loose stuff unless I have shitty tires on. Otherwise I just sit back and goose it; the bike goes where it's supposed to and my arms are fine. WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? 61865

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 9:49 pm

I ride a lot of sandy/heavy silt woods trails and I'm leaning towards getting a damper. I'm gonna try some new tires and some suspension mods first but fighting the bike in the sand and fast gravel roads is getting old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?   WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $? Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250R/X Stearing dampers - worth the $?
Page 1 of 1