Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

r2 tool kit and how do you carry it

Go down 
+3
SheWolf
Krabill
motofishman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
motofishman

r2 tool kit and how do you carry it Empty
PostSubject: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it EmptySun May 31, 2009 10:09 am

I wanna see pics, what do you carry and why, how do you carry it, how is it attached to bike or rider?

I sure appreciate ADV and thumpertalk, but I hope this site does well and becomes THE place to go for wr/x.

thanks for listening, the fishman
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 2:52 pm

I made myself a custom tool roll out of denim. I'm not sure about the durability of it because it already has a couple of holes in it. Might have to re-think that.

I cleaned up the oem tool kit by removing anything I don't need and replacing some of the cheaper stuff with real tools, then I figured out what was missing to do pretty much a complete tear-down and added what was necessary. I don't have any duplicates or useless items. Only what I'll need . . . but everything I might need.

I'll take it all out and get a picture posted up for you later.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 3:31 pm

In the process of making a prototype toolkit at work out of Cordura/mesh for awesome durability. Same material all the bike bags are made from. thumb

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 8:01 am

The bag I use is a $3.00 tool pouch / "receipt holder" from Home Depot. It is pretty rugged Cordura with a zip top, about 6" tall x 11" wide, and it expands to about 2" deep, with two inner compartments. I use one compartment for tools and one for parts. One benefit I didn't realize until I began using it was that it will stand up by itself so it is easy to root around in the bag on the side of the trail.

I carry it in my backpack.

If you use a velcro wrap or tie a cord tightly around the bag to keep the tools from bouncing off each other you will eliminate the holes being worn in the bag that someone else mentioned.

See the pics for the stuff I carry, essentially it is the factory toolkit plus vise grips, ratchet and sockets, set of allen wrenches, razor blade, wire ties, wire, tape, a few other bits... also a laminated card with my personal information and "reward if found" on it.

The first pic shows it in "carry form" with a set of keys for size reference, and the second pic shows it in "deployed form".

Link to the product (although mine is all black):

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100282543&N=10000003+90401+501713

r2 tool kit and how do you carry it Toolkit002

r2 tool kit and how do you carry it Toolkit003
Back to top Go down
motofishman

PostSubject: Re: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 10:16 am

Everyone thanks for the responses so far, MeefZah thanks for the pics and link to the cheapest tool wrap in history! I use homemade rubber bands from old inner tubes to keep my tool roll snugged up, cheap and one tube gives you lots of them, varying the width makes them tighter or looser. SheWolf can't wait to see your new toolbag or toolroll, I thought about doing this myself (actually begging the lovely Peggy to do it) but haven't found the fabric. Oh and MeefZah what do you do for flat repairs? Look forward to your pics Krabill. My wolfman tool bag and dirt bagz should arrive UPS today, I'll try to post pics of my set up soon.

Thanks again and keeps the cards and letters coming, the fishman
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 11:18 am

Really liking the info in this thread. I think I need to get one of those tool pouches you can put on the front fender. My pack is already at 21lbs. Starting to rip too. Looks like I also need a better pack.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 11:35 am

As far as flat repairs, I carry an AMA card with roadside assistance. thumb

I actually carry a Moose front fenderbag with a 21" tube (fits both rims in a crisis situation), two irons, a valve stem tool, a new valve stem inner. The tube is wrapped in a US Postal Service Priority Mail Tyvek pouch (free at the post office) which is about the toughest and thinnest substance known to man and helps prevent chafing of the tube. In my backpack, along with the toolkit above, I carry a stripped down electric air pump. It can fill a tire in about 5 minutes and will seat a bead, it just takes forever to do that. It's also handy for adjusting air pressure on a trip as you transition from dirt to road.

I would not suggest putting your tool kit on the front fender, if I am reading inspector's post right, as that is too much weight up there. The tire kit really feels like it is almost too heavy up there, honestly.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes regarding tools. My suggestion mirrors Krabills - do some maintenance on the bike using only the tools in your kit - take of the wheels, change the oil, tighten all the bolts on the bike, etc., and make sure what is in your kit serves a purpose and that every purpose needing to be served has a tool for it. No more, no less.

If you are going to buy only one tool to carry in addition to the factory stuff, make it a set of vise grips. They can do a lot in a pinch!

Oh, I also have some duct tape which I carry in my tool tube, wrapped around the MSR fuel bottle. There are two strips of about 24" each wrapped around the bottle and back on itself, which can be peeled off and reused.

This is my tool tube BTW. I can carry my toolkit in there if I really squeeze it in, but I prefer to have it in my backpack; and the tool tube is a great place for the MSR fuel bottle. There is a post in the modification thread about the tool tube with links to ordering it ($5.00).

r2 tool kit and how do you carry it WRparts001
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Meefzah....I've seen your post on that tool tube thing and I like it. Next time you take it off can you take a pic of the mounting points?

*My bad on the weight. That is with gas, drinks, tire stuff, and misc others. I would only put tire stuff on the front fender.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Here's my solution:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh-those-sweet-mods-f5/potato-cannon-dual-exhaust-tool-tube-t388.htm

I don't like the size of the stock tool kit, but really liked the location. This simple mod made it easy to have a decent amount of tools on the bike 24/7 in a waterproof location, withuout using up tail-rack space or having the hassle of swapping the tool bag from back-pack to tailbag to ?? based on whatever else I might be carrying...
Back to top Go down
Beauregard

Beauregard

PostSubject: Re: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 5:29 pm

r2 tool kit and how do you carry it Img_1111

This is mine. The top row is the stock tools that I did not carry over into my new setup. The only stock tools I kept were the 27mm wrench, and the two sided screw dirver. I have tried to use the stock tools on the bike before, and they always fail completely. My new wrenchs fit all bolts that I would realistically need to take off when out in the field. Same for the allens, and sockets. I frankly will not be removing the swing arm, or replacing a tube while out on the trail. Thats for the base truck. These tools all fit easily in the stock tool carrier, and even fit in the stock "waterproof" bag.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: r2 tool kit and how do you carry it   r2 tool kit and how do you carry it Empty

Back to top Go down

r2 tool kit and how do you carry it
Page 1 of 1