Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

MiniBeast build - WR250R

Go down 
+7
X-Racer
SheWolf
cug
Elessar
mucker
A66auto
IAmABug
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
IAmABug

MiniBeast build - WR250R Empty
PostSubject: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 1:17 am

Hello all. I am in the midst of buying a 2011 WR250R. I am 5'6 and will be looking at lowering the bike. Going to be commuting during the week and trail riding on the weekends. Looking forward to having two wheels (powered) between the legs again!

Last edited by IAmABug on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A66auto

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:56 pm

It is a blast! I just got mine and love riding it.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 12:17 am

Welcome to the wrr. I am 5'7" and had to deal with the heigth since day 1.
Re- shaping my seat, lower, seemed to help a bit...bout 2".
Doing the factory linkage adjustment seemed to help a bit, 'bout 3/4".
But most of all, just putting time on it, seems to have cured most my concerns...to the point of wanting to reverse my seat mods, for various reasons.
Now more comfortable with it...I just grab the bars with my left hand, and back fender with my right(while on the kickstand side)...and shoot my right leg over the seat...like a good front kick. Once resting on the seat, its easy to slide into place.
While at a stop, I let my left foot hit the ground almost fully...left butt cheek hangin over a little...right foot on the back brake.
The more I practice, the taller I feel.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 12:13 am

I picked up my bike today, 2011 WR250R. Very nice and shiny. I got the shop to drop the fork tubes as much as possible, about 5/8" and set the rear shock to as low as it goes. Helped alot height wise, but I am still waiting for the Yamalink to get here to bring it down a bit more. Should be in tomorrow or Friday. Want to have it on for this weekend, going to try the old girl out. I will post my impressions as I go (Although I know it will be awesome)
Back to top Go down
Elessar

Elessar

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:19 pm

Ohhhhh, I am soo jealous. I want one but I have to wait. Congratulations on your new bike. Don't forget to get some pictures! (I know it looks the same as everyone else's, but not with you on it!) Remember you gear and have fun! Very happy
Back to top Go down
A66auto

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Ride it a little bit before you lower it any more. Mine felt too high at the dealership and at stop lights for a while and I planned to by a lowering link, until I got used to it.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:34 pm

So far I love the bike. It has enough go and seems to handle the dirt quite nicely. I already bought the yamalink. Putting it in Saturday. I almost lost it today just because I couldnt touch down enough. I figure I can always reverse the factory rear shock adjustment if nessasary to bring it back up. I won't do anything seat unless I just can't overcome the height. I rode a DR-Z400 for a few years with no lowering (stock it's about an 1" or so lower) and became used to it so I think the same will apply here. I will post some pics this weekend after the maiden trek. Cheers
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: First mod   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:22 am

This is my first mod of many to come I am sure. Took out the spark arrestor and made a billet end cap. Sounds nice and seems to have opened it up a bit. Little more snap. So far I am loving this bike, too much fun.
Back to top Go down
cug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:26 am

IAmABug wrote:
This is my first mod of many to come I am sure. Took out the spark arrestor and made a billet end cap. Sounds nice and seems to have opened it up a bit. Little more snap. So far I am loving this bike, too much fun.

Wanna sell the spark arrestor to me?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 11:16 pm

I am keeping everything stock I take off so when I sell the bike I can put it back to full stock.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:31 am

Hey neighbor! I'm about a half hour ride from you. Let me know if you need any help lowering the bike. I have heated grips on mine, and an outlet to heat the seat as well...another 12v plug for the vest too. MiniBeast build - WR250R 61865

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 10:30 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Hey neighbor! I'm about a half hour ride from you. Let me know if you need any help lowering the bike. I have heated grips on mine, and an outlet to heat the seat as well...another 12v plug for the vest too.

Just a word of caution. If you take her up on the offer yoooouuuu're ggooooingggg to get mudddddyyyyy wink
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:10 pm

IAmABug wrote:
Took out the spark arrestor and made a billet end cap. Sounds nice and seems to have opened it up a bit.
Under BC's ORV Management regulations, getting checked without a spark arrester on your bike will cost you. And removing parts from your stock muffler is worth a performance award and points on a gazetted road - as the Harley guys regularly discover. Plus a fix-it tickie requiring you to demonstrate the muffler is back to stock configuration.

You might want to hang on to that spark arrester for a while...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 10:02 am

MiniBeast build - WR250R 61865 DOT and the cops have really been locking down on bikes; you see more and more of them pulled over in road checks. I was going to go with a non DOT tire but after talking with a cop that I deal with on a regular basis, it's not worth the fine and the hassle of having it trailered until things are rectified. And yes, they will make you trailer it home or to the bike shop. MiniBeast build - WR250R 163123

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 9:49 pm

In process of making a screen insert for this end cap I made. Here is a pic of the bike as of today.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Got the SpeedoDRD hooked up today. Took all of ten minutes. Going for a ride in the morning to try it out. FYI I am loving the 12/47 gear setup. Still can cruise at 110kph no prob and has lots of go in the bush. As well if in sixth I can ACCELERATE and pass.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 1:17 pm

I have finally got the time to rip the bike apart. I have spent the last week working on the mods I have wanted to do since day one plus others I have found through this site. First off, what a joy this bike is to work on. Everything fits nice and there doesn't seem to be any issues finding/losening bolts nuts etc.

I have now completed the AIS mod. I fab'd up my own block off plate and found a cap for the airbox end quick I put on with silicone and a hose clamp. Maybe a pound off WOOT.

Next, I attack the flapper mod. What a mess of vacuum lines and valves and wires that was. Another pound? very clean looking now.

I also installed a bus bar/distribution block (heard it called many things). Basically a central location to get ground and power for electrical. I installed a relay aswell tied into the license plate light so it is switched power.

Vapor computer next and a FMF setup.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:52 am

Here are a few shots of the mods and such

MiniBeast build - WR250R IMG_0501

MiniBeast build - WR250R IMG_0499

MiniBeast build - WR250R IMG_0498
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 3:58 pm

I ordered a set of Mitas tires for the old girl today:

Mitas C-18 Dual Sport Yellow Stripe Rear Tire - 120/90-18
Mitas C-21 Front Tire DOT (TT) - 90/90-21
$212 for the set
I also ordered a pair of Acerbis RAM Handguard Kit
$129+ tax = $144

Pictures to come when they get here and I will post a review after a few good rides to give you an idea how they work.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Here is the lastest shot of the Mini Beast

MiniBeast build - WR250R Photo-14
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 7:36 pm

These just arrived so I will be in the garage again tonight.

MiniBeast build - WR250R Th_6a11ac76
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Spent the night last night installing my Uni Vents to give "MiniBeast" more breathing room

MiniBeast build - WR250R Photo-19

MiniBeast build - WR250R Photo-20

MiniBeast build - WR250R Photo-21

MiniBeast build - WR250R Photo-22
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 12:16 pm

I have done some calculations as to what the project "MiniBeast" has cost to date. I am sure there are costs that I have missed but this is a rough idea.

2011 WR250R = $8600.00 OTR, taxes everything
1 Year insurance = $640.00
Farkles/Mods = $2040.00
Gear(pants/gloves/boots = $600.00
Total =$11840.00

Worth every penny simply because of the smile it puts on my face.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Nice job on the univents. Look forward to your review of them.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 pm

I recently acquired a set of OEM WRX. WOW. That's the best way to describe them. This bike is such a hoot on the road now with this setup.

MiniBeast build - WR250R Th_IMG_9195

I can now swap from the WRR setup to WRX setup in about 20-30 minutes. I bought a complete front brake setup, OEM, for a WRX so I simply just replace the whole master cylinder, line etc each time. Easy. My biggest complaint was adjusting the chain each time as I have a 44t for SM and a 47t for dirt. Have to adjust the nut/bolt setup about 3/8 each time(and I am somewhat lazy) so I decided to make a set of axle blocks to fixed this dilemma. Here they are. I will post some pics when I get them on.

MiniBeast build - WR250R Th_IMG_7734
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MiniBeast build - WR250R   MiniBeast build - WR250R Empty

Back to top Go down

MiniBeast build - WR250R
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next