Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Loading map from Map install on a Mac

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mordicai

Loading map from Map install on a Mac Empty
PostSubject: Loading map from Map install on a Mac   Loading map from Map install on a Mac EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 11:57 am

I downloaded a map from a free site on the net . I installed the map, " catopo11mapi ", on basecamp and it works fine. When I go to install this map on my GPS60csx using map install everything seems o.k. Takes about 5 minutes and the unit say's that it is recieving data, BUT, the map never shows up on the micro card. Is the unit preventing it from doing so because its not an authorized purchase? Do I need to pony up some money and buy a map from Garmin? I am using a Mac. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Max
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Loading map from Map install on a Mac   Loading map from Map install on a Mac EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Depends.

There is a difference between "free" data i.e. freeware that is offered by someone free i.e. the Ibycus mapsets done by Dale Atkins, and "free" data that is stolen data offered for theft, to thieves, on bit torrents designed to evade legal action. I am not familiar with the name of the data you mention, although that looks more like a file name than the name of a map set.

If your mapset is properly configured data, then it should show up properly in your Garmin - if the company/person that created the map data it doesn't require an unlock code, or to be configured to a specific GPS. You can't install Backroads Mapbook's maps to another GPS other than the GPS that those maps are licensed for, for example. There are instructions out there to help thieves bypass Garmin (and DeLorme, and others) anti-theft codes.

A second possible explanation is that you have multiple map tiles for the same area on your GPS - unless the map tiles at the top of the draw order are transparent (most aren't), the only thing you will see any map data beneath the tile at the top of the draw order. That is kind of unlikely unless you are mixing mapsets for upload, because uploading a new mapset overwrites any already-loaded mapsets.

It is kind of hard to diagnose the issue without specific details. Like, can you easily upload other mapsets i.e. Ibycus.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Loading map from Map install on a Mac   Loading map from Map install on a Mac EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:12 pm

I moved the file into a miro card I had on my computer and was able to download it to the card that way but although the gps reads that the maps are there it wil.l not open them. It's a great map and works well on Base Camp, but not in the 60csx. I'm going to buy the 100k maps on DVD and make it easy on myself. Thanks Jager.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Loading map from Map install on a Mac   Loading map from Map install on a Mac EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:41 pm

You might want to try loading the mapset to the GPS, through the GPS hooked up to a computer. Copying the mapset onto the GPS may raise some issues if done improperly. I always load maps directly from computer to GPS, via USB cable. Slower, but I don't care as I rarely change my installed mapset and I usually initiate the operation just before going to ground for the night. So who cares if it takes until four in the morning?

mordicai wrote:
It's a great map and works well on Base Camp, but not in the 60csx. I'm going to buy the 100k maps on DVD and make it easy on myself. Thanks Jager.
What is it a "great map" of? The entire US? A state? A map focusing on specific use i.e. dual sporting? The freeware maps available for download at legitimate GPS sites are usually very well supported by their creators and fans.

Before just buying "maps", look at the various products and figure out which ones best fit your riding style - including considering the freeware Ibycus map set.

For offslab-oriented GPS use, the 1:24k series are best - the detail on topo features helps to orient yourself to the ground when you encounter a confusing jumble of roads, etc on your GPS.

For more 50/50 GPS use (I ride 50/50 dual sport, but generally have the GPS turned off on the slab), perhaps the 1:100k series works better for you, or even City Navigator.

What works for one person is much useless to the next. Many ADV types say they prefer City Navigator as they find topo details "distracting". That obviously works for them, but around here, that lack of detail would have you hopelessly lost as to which road you should turn on to, use, etc in no time.

Download and use Ibycus US for now. Dale has made it available free of charge. It might be all you need. Alternately, you will eventually figure out what you want in your dual sport mapsets, what you like, don't like, etc and can then shop knowing what you're looking for.

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Loading map from Map install on a Mac   Loading map from Map install on a Mac EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks again Jager but everything you suggest I have long since done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loading map from Map install on a Mac   Loading map from Map install on a Mac Empty

Back to top Go down

Loading map from Map install on a Mac
Page 1 of 1