Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Mt-43 new tire started chunking.

Go down 
+4
blackheart
skierd
RattTongue
Bjur
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bjur

Mt-43 new tire started chunking. Empty
PostSubject: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 1:00 am

I just put a mt-43 tire on my bike and filled it to 10psi. My bike is geared pretty low (13-49) and I was curious if I could get up to 50-60 mph. I took a spin around the neighborhood and was going around 45-50 very comfortably. The tire felt great, but when I got home, I noticed the rear was chunking the back of the center lugs off. This was street riding and only about 5 miles max. I was under the impression that the tire was super durable, but I'm not so sure now. What psi should I use for the paved street? I do have a single rim lock installed and run standard tubes. Thanks in advance for such a great forum and resource.
Back to top Go down
Bjur

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Any one out there have an issue like this with their MT-43 rear?
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 8:53 pm

I just got my MT-43 in today to replace my stock tire so I'll see. The guy I ride with as a klx250s and he runs this tire and swears by it (which is why I got it). He has never mentioned any issues with it and he rides both on/off rode and in some pretty rough rocky terrain.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:26 pm

My first one was fine, but my second one did the same thing. Returned it under warranty and replaced it with a knobby.

Mt-43 new tire started chunking. Mt43twoproblem

I was running it at 10-12psi if memory serves, which is what I typically ran the first one at as it wore the center knobs very quickly above that.
Back to top Go down
blackheart

blackheart

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:41 am

MT 43's New Mexico to Georgia

I rode from close to 3,000 miles with all of it pavement except for 40 miles in NM and 4 days of back roading in Big Bend.

Outside of Houston noticed one portion of the rear tire was wearing way differently than the rest of the tire, as in almost smooth. Called the Houston Yamaha Motor Sports and ordered a new MT43. The dealer was great, got the tire, balanced it ( which may have been the problem) and sent the old tire into Motorcycle Super Store where I had bought the original. They got it warranty approved so was given a credit.

The tire pressures I was running was 23 front and about the same rear. I lowered the rear to 18. The front looks really good and I am watching the rear. I have a 13 front and 49 rear so never ran much over 65.

Before I left on the trip my oldest son Matt and I did some rocky single track. I lowered the pressure to around 14 for that. These tires feel like they are part of the suspension. I love them! Used to run 606's...not anymore!

OH, and zero chunking. Up the pressure for the pavement even for short distances. I carry a hand pump and always bring the pressure back up after the dirt. Also carry a gauge and checked pressure every morning when the tires were cold.
Back to top Go down
Bjur

PostSubject: Update on my MT-43   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 12:39 am

I just wanted to give an update on my MT-43 tire. I've had the same tire on since early September 2012. I had a bit of a chunking issue when I first got it. This might have been a minor manufacturing defect. I've been running the bike all over now, using it for both trail riding and commuting. My next tire will be a MT-43. This tire is amazing. On the street, it rocks. On the dirt, it rocks. In the rocks...well it rocks. The only time I had issues with a lack of insane traction was in deep muddy clay. I didn't feel so bad because the other guys running typical knobbed back tires were having even more issues than I was. The MT-43 wouldn't clean real well, but it didn't seam that the other tires did either. The second I managed to get some speed, the tire cleaned out and I was back on the throttle. If you've been hesitant on this tire, just go buy one. I run at 8-10 psi now with one rim lock. I've got about 1500 miles on it, and while it is showing some wear, it's got plenty left. The chunking issue seamed to go away once I wore the tires down a bit. There might have been some binding issues with the rubber once it was molded. There was a layer just under the surface that seamed to peel off . I'm sure this isn't normal and I wouldn't expect this on another tire, but the tire has still performed amazing.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 9:17 am

I am running an MT-43 and I commute 56 miles round trip everyday. I have not had these issues. I keep the pressure up for the street. I think I have 18#'s in right now. I just let some out when I hit the dirt.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 7:23 am

mine is holding up fine 50/50 trail and street at 12psi.
Back to top Go down
Toddwr250r

Toddwr250r

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 6:05 pm

my rear is holding up well at about 1500 miles. anyone running the matching front?
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 6:51 pm

I did try one up front once. Has a rather soft sidewall that would tend to roll or slide in the turns when pushed. Now i just run a trackmaster,works for me.
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:25 am

Crawdaddy on ADVRider runs them front & back. Check out his posts over there for his feedback.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:47 am

I've got them front and rear. My previous bike was a Gasgas enduro with competition trials tires front and rear. Those held like glue to everything (no mud), so I wanted the closest thing on the WRR.

My first ride on the MT43's included 100 miles of high speed pavement and no tire problems running about 12-15 psi.

The front end has a tendency to wash out a bit but I haven't dialed in the suspension yet so it may not be the tire.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Like I said earlier I was running the MT43 on the rear. I used up two of them. They are a tall tire and I wanted something lower so I am now using a T63 front and rear but when I get SM wheels and street tires I will go back to the MT43 because the traction off-road is way better than the Michelin.

But in wearing out two rears I never had an issue with "chunking".
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Coop wrote:
Like I said earlier I was running the MT43 on the rear. I used up two of them. They are a tall tire and I wanted something lower so I am now using a T63 front and rear but when I get SM wheels and street tires I will go back to the MT43 because the traction off-road is way better than the Michelin.

Questions Coop:
How much taller is it?
Did it affect your gearing noticeably?
Why does the height matter so much to you?

I have a 30" inseam, so seat height matters to me.

I am planning to order a rear tire soon, and the Pirelli and Michelin are the 2 at the top of the list. Leaning towards the Michelin because it is smaller and I do a fair amount of road miles in addition to trail use, and because the MT-43 is new to me while the T-63 isn't.

I am planning to replace the rear sprocket soon, so might go up one tooth if I choose the tall tire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mt-43 new tire started chunking.   Mt-43 new tire started chunking. Empty

Back to top Go down

Mt-43 new tire started chunking.
Page 1 of 1