Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?

Go down 
+2
RimBenty
bigg
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bigg

bigg

Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?   Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 11:08 am

So I'm finally installing a little digital thermometer to let me know when im dropping into the danger zone (0 C)

I was thinking of placing the thermometer itself here on the dash:

Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? Immag017

also because its not actually waterproof and I'll have to see to that myself (I'll use clear silicon) and there it looks at lest somewhat protected.

Anyway the point of my question:

The temperature sensor is on a 2.5 m thin wire so I can put it pretty much anywhere I like. Problem is where?

I need optimal temperature measurements (so out of the sun) but can't be close to the radiator/engine obviosuly.

Picture of the sensor:

Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? Immag018

I was thinking of putting it under the fender, but there it'll get super dirty making for hard cleaning. What do you think of the crack between headlamp and fender? Will the headlamp generate heat down there?

Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? Immag019

Or just under the dash where all the electrical wires are?

anyway I'm just looking for suggestions or ideas of where I can put the sensor! thumb
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?   Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 3:38 pm

I wouldn't put it near the head light because of heat like you said.

I would mount it near the dash or maybe somewhere under the left gas tank shroud (Opposite the radiator).
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?   Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 5:02 pm

How long is the wire?

Long enough to run up under the seat and for it basically find a home near the helmet lock or something?
That's about as far from engine heat as you can get.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?   Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 12:35 pm

bigg wrote:
So I'm finally installing a little digital thermometer to let me know when im dropping into the danger zone (0 C)
Danger as in icing conditions on the road?

For amusement's sake, with winter about here, go out a few times in those conditions and take temperatures at road level and then at about waist high...
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?   Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 6:00 pm

If its icing on the road that is your concern...a thermocouple will not react fast enough to give you any, useful, real time information. No better than the weather channel, before you leave.
Ambient air temperature can change quickly, compared to the surface ground temp. Those temps usually lead and lag each other.
Knowing the current air temp, only for a moment, only says so much.
If there is a threat of icing, there it is. Pushing that limit on my local roads, has racked up quite a toll. Especially first and last frost...there will be an example, every time.

Besides that...the drier the sensor, the more accurate. The less it touches a heat sink/source the better.
Mount it with the leads facing down, if possible.
Whatever you glue or tie it with/to, will be a heat sink...and affect reaction time/accuracy.

Remember... it is dry bulb temperature that you are concerned with for freezing...wet bulb for comfort...in a practical sense.

Check the weather, and prepare accordingly...black ice is where you least expect it sometimes.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?   Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 12:23 pm

refresh rate is pretty quick at 4 seconds. True it's only ambient temperature but that's better than nothing. At least it gives some indication of the conditions ( say -2 instead of 5).

When it's cold its cold and its hard to tell the temp when you are riding. So at least I know that if its 5 degrees air temp, I can be relatively safe.

Anyway the cable is pretty long at 2.5m so I can put it anywhere on the bike. I might give it a try bringing it to the back or just dump it in the cluster up front in the dash.

btw, the sensor IS waterproof, just not the thermometer itself which is being taken care of with some silicon.

hope all goes well thumb
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?   Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 5:31 pm

I've repaired/replaced "waterproof" sensors almost regularly, for 20+ yrs .
Haven't seen them all...but I'm sure I've seen more than most.
You want it to be as reliable and accurate as possible..."any job worth doing..."
Though just slapping it on, is fine enough to please some folks.
Of course , you will decide how useful it is, to you.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?   Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 11:47 pm

If it were me it wouldn't make any difference.

I'd be shaking so bad it better have a blue tooth (and blue lips to go with it) audible.

Put it in the jacuzzi so I know when it's too hot. thumb

Sorry for the jacking...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?   Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas? Empty

Back to top Go down

Optimal location for placing temperature sensor. Any ideas?
Page 1 of 1