Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Motorcycle carriers

Go down 
+6
gatorfan
sewerat
duanew
Arkmage
trav72
trailpimp33
10 posters
AuthorMessage
trailpimp33

Motorcycle carriers Empty
PostSubject: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 11:56 am

Anyone here use one of those hitch mounted carriers?
If so, how do you like it and how well does it work?

I am considering one to haul my WR250X around on the back of a Sprinter I use for work. There is no room inside the Sprinter, plus I don't think I want to do a 18-36 hour drive with gas fumes!
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Yep, I use one all the time. I have thousands of miles on it at this point with no issues. Here's a pic of my old carrier. I've since had a friend build me a new one.

Motorcycle carriers Img-2019
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 1:18 pm

I just got one a few months back.

- It's way easier to load than a truck because it's a 3rd as tall.
- Mine is an older model so it doesn't have the anti rocking thing for the hitch... it keeps people from tailgaiting
- I had to add air springs to the back of my minivan to handle the weight, but now it drives stable regardless of wind or loading (cost me 5 hours and $89)
- If I ever get a chance to hit up some hair scrambles I can toss it on the back of a borrowed/rented RV which is also nice.
- I tip it up against the wall behind my lathe for storage... way more convenient than a trailer.
- Cost me $150 on craigslist.

In general as long as your vehicle can handle it they are unbeatable for the price.

Motorcycle carriers 6673969493_45beb2b5d1
KDX Comes Home by Noah_K_T, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 1:52 pm

I am thinking about getting a couple of them. Discount Ramps has a few cheap solutions, some as low as $140 for light motorcycles.

I am thinking about acquiring my dad's Chevy Silverado which has a fiberglass tonneau cover which I think that I would like to keep. It is also a pain to remove and put back on. My thoughts are that I would get a front mount trailer hitch and 2 carriers so that I can carry mine and my girlfriend's motorcycle without a trailer. I already have a Harbor Freight folding trailer that I have carried both bikes on, but it takes close to an hour to move everything out of the way, unfold the trailer, and mount the wheel chocks. It is a bit of a pain.

I think that the carriers would be quick. I have seen pics of trucks with campers with motorcycles on the front but not ones with two motorcycles. I am wondering how it would work but I think that it would not be a problem.
Back to top Go down
sewerat

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:43 pm

One thing that might be an issue with the front of a truck would be turn signals and headlights. You might need to put an extra set high above the bike, something like what snowplows use
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 10:40 pm

MX Ultimate Haulers are good carrier option.

Motorcycle carriers Brimst11

As it happens, I'm looking to sell mine. PM if interested so as not to hijack thread (any more than I just did). wink
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 11:17 pm

sewerat wrote:
One thing that might be an issue with the front of a truck would be turn signals and headlights. You might need to put an extra set high above the bike, something like what snowplows use

I might worry more about airflow to the radiator and cops getting you for obstructed view. deal

I've seen racks that hold two light bikes. Try looking into one of those.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Here's front and back on camper Duenew.

Motorcycle carriers Evergl10
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Daamud wrote:
sewerat wrote:

I might worry more about airflow to the radiator and cops getting you for obstructed view. deal

I've seen racks that hold two light bikes. Try looking into one of those.

Yea I have heard of that problem before. I plan on putting an XT225 up front or something else small. I think that some extra fog lights or something could help with the light as you would not want to have to look at the bike lighted up right in front of you with the headlights. The blinkers should be pretty visible. The cooling system should be able to handle it except if you are going very slow for long periods of time.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:44 am

duanew wrote:
I am thinking about getting a couple of them. Discount Ramps has a few cheap solutions, some as low as $140 for light motorcycles.

I am thinking about acquiring my dad's Chevy Silverado which has a fiberglass tonneau cover which I think that I would like to keep. It is also a pain to remove and put back on. My thoughts are that I would get a front mount trailer hitch and 2 carriers so that I can carry mine and my girlfriend's motorcycle without a trailer. I already have a Harbor Freight folding trailer that I have carried both bikes on, but it takes close to an hour to move everything out of the way, unfold the trailer, and mount the wheel chocks. It is a bit of a pain.

I think that the carriers would be quick. I have seen pics of trucks with campers with motorcycles on the front but not ones with two motorcycles. I am wondering how it would work but I think that it would not be a problem.

Man I'd hate to be in a crash with a bike on a carrier in front. That would be a helluva projectile.

Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:07 pm

I have a JOE HAULER that I paid about $350 at a dealership,,,,It was a last minute buy before I went to Maine on vacation,,,it was worth every penny to be able to take my bike with me..If you look around you can find something cheaper,,,,,,I saw that Harbor Freight had one for about $100-$150 ,,I can't remember exactly......I think it's a great alternative to a trailer............ wink Jason
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm

My buddy just built me this one. You can see the welded supports that go out from the center tube to underneath the wheels. That prevents any movement and rocking. This thing is rock solid and the bike doesn't move at all. My old Harbor Freight one (you can see a few posts up) moved all over the place and upset my Jeeps handling. It's a real POS and I do not recommend it. Unless you can get some supports welded on. Oh, did I mention my new one was free? Very happy

Motorcycle carriers Logan-23
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 8:21 pm

I love homemade stuff!!! thumb
Always wanted to make my own but lack skills.
I use this one and its does not move at all, its all aluminium.
Easiest to install to truck and load bike, no straps.

ABFF-$375 I paid but you can find it for less. Shipping included.

http://addabike.com/ABFFPICPAGE.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle carriers   Motorcycle carriers Empty

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle carriers
Page 1 of 1