Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?

Go down 
+6
skierd
TwilightZone
dtx
MeefZah
Gundy
Curbhopper
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Curbhopper

What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? Empty
PostSubject: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Enduro Enduro Enduro!

This year, I plan on entering my first Enduro.
Don't know what to expect. Can someone with experience throw in some good advice?

I am looking to enter a "several" enduros in south and central Jersey.

Tony
Back to top Go down
Gundy

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 5:56 pm

At registration, ask to be as far back in the rows as possible so you won't constantly be getting passed by the expert riders. Other than that just get good with using your odometer and roll chart. Unless you are a really good rider, you don't need to worry much about arriving early at check points. Oh and when a fast rider comes up behind you, they will usually hoot or rev their engine- just pull over and let them by. Checkout ecea.org for a lot more info.
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Thanks, thats good advice.

thumb
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:43 pm

What kind of riding experience do you have?

I've never run an enduro, bu have run a few dual sports on enduro courses, which essentially are untimed / no checkpoint but offer the same type of riding. I will tell you, with a couple years of dirt riding experience, I was woefully under-prepared. I went in thinking I was pretty hot shit, and came out realizing I was whatever the opposite of hot shit is. Cold vomit?

Having said that, I also hear that southeast Ohio enduros are among the toughest there are, lots of hills, rocks, gnarly single track...

Having said that, even being cold vomit, they were (are) a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:02 am

If you have not done it yet get your bikes suspension done,stock makes for a long day. Should be a good time overall.
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:42 pm

You can expect to be cold, wet, mud, ice freezing on hands, bike mired in mud, snow, creek crossings, impossible hills, impassible dust, downhills, rocks, and heat-stroke.

Other that that... good times!
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:30 pm

South and central jersey? Hope you like sand...

If you head inland to the PA and WV events, get ready for rocks too.

Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:56 pm

MeefZah wrote:
What kind of riding experience do you have?

I've never run an enduro, bu have run a few dual sports on enduro courses, which essentially are untimed / no checkpoint but offer the same type of riding. I will tell you, with a couple years of dirt riding experience, I was woefully under-prepared. I went in thinking I was pretty hot shit, and came out realizing I was whatever the opposite of hot shit is. Cold vomit?

Having said that, I also hear that southeast Ohio enduros are among the toughest there are, lots of hills, rocks, gnarly single track...

Having said that, even being cold vomit, they were (are) a lot of fun.

Haha, just got 1500 miles of off road experience riding. I just pray, there will be sweep riders to pick up my sorry, busted ass. bow

dtx wrote:
If you have not done it yet get your bikes suspension done,stock makes for a long day. Should be a good time overall.

I have not any suspension done yet, but have read somewhere that at my weight, 230. the stock suspension is actually working at "its" very best or Oem intended. Will know for sure after the first grueling experience.

TwilightZone wrote:
You can expect to be cold, wet, mud, ice freezing on hands, bike mired in mud, snow, creek crossings, impossible hills, impassible dust, downhills, rocks, and heat-stroke.

Other that that... good times!

It does sound so challenging. Like everything in life, improve more with little competition. wink

skierd wrote:
South and central jersey? Hope you like sand...

If you head inland to the PA and WV events, get ready for rocks too.

I love sand, hurts less and a free teeth sand blasting with every fall. Very happy
PA is next on my list. cheers
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 am

http://fastbikeindustries.com/
Yes the spring is fine,the guts are sub par.Yamaha went real cheep on its shock,Dave at fast bike ind will rework the rear and it wont be the same bike anymore.If you make no other mods,or add nothing for farkel. The shock is a must do.
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Alright, thanks for the link.
always good to have options.

thumb

Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Curb: My two... Get another 15K miles of off-roading experience first.

Start by attempting to ride that you now, in your assumed to be "right mind" would never ride on.

After initially failing miserably at that, then eventually doing it without thinking, you'll be ready to race. :)

I'd also find a friend that has some experience with enduro racing and go to school on them.

...and have fun. The best race is the one where you load it all back up in the truck (uninjured) afterwards.

Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 3:04 pm

X-Racer wrote:
Curb: My two... Get another 15K miles of off-roading experience first.

Start by attempting to ride that you now, in your assumed to be "right mind" would never ride on.

After initially failing miserably at that, then eventually doing it without thinking, you'll be ready to race. :)

I'd also find a friend that has some experience with enduro racing and go to school on them.

...and have fun. The best race is the one where you load it all back up in the truck (uninjured) afterwards.

Great advice,

15k more.... let me do some math.. It took me 4yrs to crank out 1500, and 15,000 is 10X the mileage then I need to ride another 40 yrs! then my first enduro will be in 2052. eeek
:hmmm:
I have about 200 hrs of enduro experience from youtube, does that count? Very happy
How about I ride like the IRS is after me and the Mexican border is just on the other side of the finish line.

I am not looking to win anything, just to finish with a little HEAT at my behind. wink

My utmost priority is "Self Preservation."

You maybe right, I could use more prep but here's no terrain I wouldn't ride on but I don't like to ride WOT all the time.
I am guessing that an Enduro is no place for me. cry

What can I expect if I go TOO slow? I have no problem with being ask to leave, my feelings won't be hurt but will I cause any problems?

Really, what I was hoping for is an "experience", at the same time, you know...get that notch on the belt thing and of course, participation to encourage more events in the future.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 4:08 pm

Humpfh...

Okay... So the 15K more miles prep recommendation isn't going to work then.

You'd be my age and that's why the handle is "X" racer ! Ha !

Yes ! U-tube experience, coupled with dreams at night definitely counts !

Do you live by the border ? That would work too !

Just enter and do it !

Keep the rubber side down and don't ride over your head. * chuckle *
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm guessing a test ride of the terrain, beforehand, would answer allot of your questions.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 6:04 pm

mucker wrote:
I'm guessing a test ride of the terrain, beforehand, would answer allot of your questions.

Exactly. Go investigate a previous enduro tracks layout and run it.
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 6:28 pm

mucker wrote:

Chrispy1200 wrote:
mucker wrote:

Riding previous enduro can be great if done legit. I don't want to take a chance of violating any agreements the organization may have with land owners or officials by being in a place where I should not be in. Trespassing is the last thing I want to do unintentionally or with intent, can't jeopardize the sport for being negligent.
And I wouldn't know an enduro trail if it bit me in the arse. dunno

Is riding a past enduro common for newcomers to get a taste, I really don't have a clue.
I have been to several dual sport rides and I love it, finished and in one piece. I just hope its "similar." Very happy

Joining a club is my next move.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Hey Tony,

I have never done an enduro, but I have watched plenty of vids . wink I have done a couple hare scrambles.

I personally like hare scrambles better. The reason for that is they are typically not as tight trailed( stick farms), and whooped out as enduro's are. Enduro's are timed events, and hare scrambles are an actual race....fixed time, usually 1.5 hrs, get in as many laps as you can. Laps are on a loop that is 6-9 miles long for C group( starter level).

In my opinion, these dual sport bikes we have are not ideal for either event. I do think they are better for hare scrambles...personally. It all depends on the person. Although I can ride my WRR better than I rode my DRZ, its still a heavy bike and hard to throw around aggressively. I am usually tired after only an hour of hard riding. One of my buddies Trav, can throw it around all day on our weekend rides, and not slow down till he crashes hard. He is about 8" taller and 50 lbs heavier than me. I am sure that makes the bike seem like less of an anchor.

Also, there is a reason why more people do either of these events with lighter race bikes and/or plated two smokers/MX bikes.

I am looking to do MCI Stump Jumper Hare Scramble on 4/15.

http://www.motorcyclecompetitioninc.com/hare-scramble

I did the one in the fall and had a great time.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Curbhopper wrote:
mucker wrote:

Chrispy1200 wrote:
mucker wrote:

Riding previous enduro can be great if done legit. I don't want to take a chance of violating any agreements the organization may have with land owners or officials by being in a place where I should not be in. Trespassing is the last thing I want to do unintentionally or with intent, can't jeopardize the sport for being negligent.

Is riding a past enduro common for newcomers to get a taste, I really don't have a clue.
I have been to several dual sport rides and I love it, finished and in one piece. I just hope its "similar." Very happy

Joining a club is my next move.

If the area is used for races...I would assume , your impact, even if inappropriate, would be a minor hassle at best.
Your safety and preparedness should be a bigger concern...most would see it that way...if you weren't a prick...heh.
I have zero racing experience...but I have scouted a few potential venues, hare scrambles, and wouldn't try a race, without riding the area first...at least at my skill level, on my wrr.
Back to top Go down
Gundy

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Not all enduros are the same difficulty either. I did the Scrub Pine Enduro last fall on my DRZ, and while I was pretty slow, the terrain was manageable. I was told that it is one of the easier ones to do for noobs since it is pretty flat and sandy. The rockier ones I can imagine being a lot nastier based on some of the dual sport rides I have done (Hancock especially). Probably worth researching a bit to find the ones on easier terrain.
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 5:34 pm

DougZ wrote:
Hey Tony,

I have never done an enduro, but I have watched plenty of vids . wink I have done a couple hare scrambles.

I personally like hare scrambles better. The reason for that is they are typically not as tight trailed( stick farms), and whooped out as enduro's are. Enduro's are timed events, and hare scrambles are an actual race....fixed time, usually 1.5 hrs, get in as many laps as you can. Laps are on a loop that is 6-9 miles long for C group( starter level).

In my opinion, these dual sport bikes we have are not ideal for either event. I do think they are better for hare scrambles...personally. It all depends on the person. Although I can ride my WRR better than I rode my DRZ, its still a heavy bike and hard to throw around aggressively. I am usually tired after only an hour of hard riding. One of my buddies Trav, can throw it around all day on our weekend rides, and not slow down till he crashes hard. He is about 8" taller and 50 lbs heavier than me. I am sure that makes the bike seem like less of an anchor.

Also, there is a reason why more people do either of these events with lighter race bikes and/or plated two smokers/MX bikes.

I am looking to do MCI Stump Jumper Hare Scramble on 4/15.
bow
http://www.motorcyclecompetitioninc.com/hare-scramble

I did the one in the fall and had a great time.

I think you will see me there this April. cheers
btw, I met Trav. like you say, he can man handle that bike and his stamina is crazy. like an aerobics instructor. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 5:37 pm

[quote="mucker"]
Curbhopper wrote:
mucker wrote:

Chrispy1200 wrote:
mucker wrote:

If the area is used for races...I would assume , your impact, even if inappropriate, would be a minor hassle at best.
Your safety and preparedness should be a bigger concern...most would see it that way...if you weren't a prick...heh.
I have zero racing experience...but I have scouted a few potential venues, hare scrambles, and wouldn't try a race, without riding the area first...at least at my skill level, on my wrr.

I plan on getting more "inside" info about the enduro from the club, maybe get to ride it with the trail boss. wings
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Gundy wrote:
Not all enduros are the same difficulty either. I did the Scrub Pine Enduro last fall on my DRZ, and while I was pretty slow, the terrain was manageable. I was told that it is one of the easier ones to do for noobs since it is pretty flat and sandy. The rockier ones I can imagine being a lot nastier based on some of the dual sport rides I have done (Hancock especially). Probably worth researching a bit to find the ones on easier terrain.

Scrub pine is on my list also, Hancock was missed last year due to work but this year my VAC will revolve around it. thumb

I did the Berkshire DS with all the Heros and got lost in "ROCK"land!!! it was still a blast.
Got mys elf a roll chart holder this year also, oh yeah! gonna play with the big boys!!!
droooool droooool droooool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?   What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time? Empty

Back to top Go down

What to expect from entering an enduro for the first time?
Page 1 of 1