Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

08 Rear sprocket Up Date

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kansas Bob

Kansas Bob

08 Rear sprocket Up Date Empty
PostSubject: 08 Rear sprocket Up Date   08 Rear sprocket Up Date EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:28 am

I have been reading here and on the ADV mega thread about the 2008 only "padded rear sprocket" that was done away with in 2009. My 08 only has 700 easy miles on it from the original owner so when I did the first chain adjustment tonight I updated the failed design so hopefully my chain wouldn't start skipping as had been reported by many 08 owners.

I may or may not change the the stock sprocket sizes at some point, but I need to ride it in stock trim for a while to set a base line.

The process took a wood chisel and about 5 min. to complete.

08 Rear sprocket Up Date Wrsprocket1

That looks better

08 Rear sprocket Up Date Wrsprocket2

Trash can.

08 Rear sprocket Up Date Wrsprocket3

I adjusted my chain by having someone help me collapse the rear suspension to the point that the rear axle was on the same plane as the counter sprocket and checked for just minimal play. Got out the heat gun, warmed up the chain, and lubed with Chain Wax. Ready to Go! cheers

Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: 08 Rear sprocket Up Date   08 Rear sprocket Up Date EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 pm

I did nearly the same. But gently warmed the ring with a propane torch. Not too much, it melts into goo very fast.
Back to top Go down
Kansas Bob

Kansas Bob

PostSubject: Re: 08 Rear sprocket Up Date   08 Rear sprocket Up Date EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Since I did the mod, and adjusted my chain using the "compressed suspension" method of chain adjustment I have not had a problem with "skipping" chain issues. On the kick stand the chain seems to be a little tighter than I would have normally set on other bikes, but when I check it with the suspension compressed it feels fine and not tight enough to cause damage to bearings and seals.
I keep my chain running smooth with regular cleaning, and chain wax. The swing arm guard is showing minimal wear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 08 Rear sprocket Up Date   08 Rear sprocket Up Date EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:05 pm

this is the first I've seen or heard of this...

What a ridiculous design. The engineer who came up with that deserves a punch in the mouth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 08 Rear sprocket Up Date   08 Rear sprocket Up Date Empty

Back to top Go down

08 Rear sprocket Up Date
Page 1 of 1