Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Survival Kit

Go down 
+8
skierd
Chrispy1200
Longview
miamimotorcyclist
macfast
derm75
1moreroad
fasteer
12 posters
AuthorMessage
fasteer

fasteer

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 7:10 am

Once upon a time, a couple of riding buddies found themselves in a situation where they had to spend the night out in the bush. It was early spring in northen Alberta & cold at night.
Both were wet from an adventure in an ice-cold creek and one guy had injured his knee.

This is the type of situation that could have had a very bad ending, but fortunately they used their wits & what gear they had to survive the night & make it safely home the next day.

After hearing about it, I added a few items to my backpack and to my bikes tool kit.

Since then, I caught a couple episodes of ‘Survivorman’ on TV (starring Canadian Les Stroud) and recently picked up Les Stroud’s book ‘Survive!’

It’s well written & well worth reading by anybody but especially those of us that travel to more remote areas.

Using Les’s book, I’ve decided to add to my survival kit.

It’s a long list, but is mostly small & can be distributed between pockets, backpack or whatever.

Most of this stuff would never be used, even on a forced overnight adventure, but who knows?

• balaclava
  • bandana
  • bear-spray
  • belt knife,
  • Cell-phone
  • compass
  • cup, collapsable
  • Duct Tape, compact
  • energy-bars (3)
  • fish: lure, hooks, leader, sinker, line, net
  • flares
  • flashlight & spare batteries
  • Garbage Bags, Extra-Large, Orange (2)
  • hat, crushable, waterproof
  • knife-sharpener
  • Leatherman
  • Lighter, butane
  • magnesium fire-starter
  • Matches, strike anywhere, in waterproof container
  • parachute cord, 25-m
  • pencil & notepad
  • pocket-saw
  • rain-shell
  • safety-pins (2)
  • signal mirror
  • snare-wire
  • space-blanket
  • SPOT Locator & batteries (www.findmespot.com)
  • tarp, ultralight
  • Water Purification Straw
  • Wet-Wipes, soft-pack
  • Whistle
  • Ziploc, Lg
  • Zip-ties

• 1st aid kit

• Antihistamines
    • Polysporin Complete 15g
    • bandages, sm & fingers
    • butterfly closures
    • hand-lens (Fresnel)
    • Imodium
    • Motrin Extra-strength
    • needle, large-eye & thread
    • scissors
    • surgical blades
    • triangle bandage (2)
    • tweezers

“Always keep an edge on yr knife, son. Always keep an edge on yr knife. Cuz a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the uncertain vagaries of life." - Corb Lund

Back to top Go down
1moreroad

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 9:33 am

Good list. The list assumes a reasonable water supply nearby. In most of the southwest US, that's a bad assumption. Add water to the list.

Bear spray is obviously based on location.

Knife sharpener? For an overnight in the woods?

25m of parachute cord?

I would recommend against taking Motrin or any medication in an emergency situation. Needle and thread? If you can use it correctly, you've got more medical training than probably 90% of the population. I'd just add more bandages.

How about an inflatable splint? Meh -- could probably use some sticks you find.

If you're going places you might need these things -- ALWAYS RIDE WITH A BUDDY (which your buddies did) and ALWAYS LET SOMEONE KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING AND WHEN YOU EXPECT TO BE BACK (or to the next point of contact). Seriously, I don't ride anywhere by myself where I can't self-evacuate in a day, which limits me to about 10 - 20 miles from civilization solo.
Back to top Go down
derm75

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 11:41 am

I'd skip the knife sharpener too, and probably only bring the Leatherman-type tool and skip the separate knife and scissors.

I'm an EMT and tend to over pack the 1st Aid Kit. I like the original list, but I would skip the needle and thread, that's what the butterflies or Steri-Strips are for. The antibiotic ointment is small, but for a night or two in the woods it I don't think it is too useful.
I bring roller gauze and large bandages to control bleeding, in a true emergency you can cut up your shirt or other clothing but then you have to weigh the weather issue.

I'd leave the butane lighter behind but bring some kind of tinder to use with the matches and magnesium fire starter. I used paraffin impregnated cotton balls (available at outdoor stores) to start a fire camping last weekend with my magnesium and it lit up easily.

I think the rain shell, garbage bags, tarp, and space blanket are redundant. I usually carry a rain poncho big enough to cover me entirely so it doubles as a shelter. You can also use the parachute cord to string up the poncho like a tarp. Wrap up in the space blanket underneath.

I'm planning a 1000 mi ride in Idaho later this summer in some large wilderness areas so I'm working on getting my 1st Aid/Survival kit really dialed in.
Back to top Go down
macfast

macfast

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 1:25 pm

I always pack an eye cup.
Back to top Go down
derm75

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 1:38 pm

I see you pee....

hide

No really, that's a good idea where motorcycles are concerned.
Back to top Go down
miamimotorcyclist

miamimotorcyclist

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 11:37 am

Good post.
Gotta love survivorman, way better than Bear Gryls, Les gets out there by himself.

I loved the cornchip tip, those things really are little firestarters.

Guess I need to add to my "kit."

I have a few of those things on board always, like at least a poncho, compass, leatherman, bandana, flashlight, small MSR towel, a lighter, zip tie, hose tape.
That's just from memory and is even on the bike if I run down the street, that stuff lives in the tail bag.

Hmmm, I should probably add some safety wire and some first aid to the "always on the bike" kit.
Back to top Go down
Longview

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 12:10 pm

That's a pretty extensive list. For my more remote solo hikes, I also bring a deck of cards. Then if I'm really in a jam I start playing solitaire, because you KNOW someone is going to come out of nowhere and chime in over your shoulder with "red queen on black king." Then I'll ask that guy for help. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 12:39 pm

Longview wrote:
That's a pretty extensive list. For my more remote solo hikes, I also bring a deck of cards. Then if I'm really in a jam I start playing solitaire, because you KNOW someone is going to come out of nowhere and chime in over your shoulder with "red queen on black king." Then I'll ask that guy for help. Very happy

Very happy Very happy thumb
Back to top Go down
skierd

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 9:55 pm

I don't think having the bags, space blanket, and rain shell are redundant, though the tarp might be depending on the size of the bags. I've used garbage bags to as a weather barrier in an impromptu lean-to shelter made from a fallen tree and random branches found on the ground, though you could do the same with a tarp. Tarps are useful for collecting water too (various methods). Space blankets are good in case your sleeping bag gets wet, or you're soaking wet and don't want to get your bag soaked. Rain shells are useful when you are moving around outside of your shelter waiting out the weather or for rescue. Garbage bags make great rain covers for you or other items.
Back to top Go down
wahilde

wahilde

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Don't leave the Butane lighter behind.   Survival Kit EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 5:37 am

Buy several Ronson Jetlite lighters. They are only $2.99 each at Walmart and are usually only found at one of the many checkout counters. Rite-Aid usually has these at their checkout counters as well for about $3.99 each. These are refillable and are a torch. Be sure to set the flame adjustment to full blast (screw on the bottom all the way out) and pre-heat to body tempurature and you will be able to light it in a high wind. It helps to press slowly so you let some fuel out before the spark igniter fires. You can solder with these things in the field (I've done it several times using heavy lamp cord wire on my truck). Don't substitute a Zippo -- they evaporate fuel and when you need it, it's dead -- they totally suck. Don't substitute it with a Bic lighter either. They can't be lit in windy conditions. The Ronson Jet Lite can be held at any angle since it's a torch. The only downsides to the Ronson Jet Lite is 1) you can't see how much fuel you have left since it's an all-metal case. No problem though, just always pack multiple lighters and rotate through them and refuel the dead ones when you get home. 2) The mechanical spark-maker part tends to break on about half of them after only a few hundred lights -- the other half will last for many thousands of lights. For $2.99 each, just make sure you have at least two of them with you. I'm a heavy smoker and have tested the crap out of lots of lighters in all weather conditions. The Ronson Jet Lite beats them all in all weather conditions. For $2.99 each, just buy four of them (one of each color/pattern) and a 2.75 ounce can of Ronson Butane and you will have enough fire to last the average guy a decade.
Back to top Go down
frogboy

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptySat May 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Dudes, your suposed to be Americans, just bring a gun, you can start a fire with it, shoot bears, shoot animals for food, get peoples attention, do drive bys lol nah seriously your missing the most important thing.... water proof your tabs (smokes) go to the clinic (your mum can tell you where it is) get a bag of condoms they also double up as good water carring vessels, i'd also bring a small plastic mirror to reflect light into peoples eyes from miles away. Hard cash is always good, for bribes etc, also water proofed. What about a comfy pair of walking shoes(if your bike is broken), think i would bin most of that other stuff just for that a poncho, fire, water, multy tool/knife and a bivvy bag. Top tip tie bungy's to the corner's of the poncho and string to them makes it easyer to put up properly.... Survival Kit 61865
Back to top Go down
ozarkadver

Survival Kit Empty
PostSubject: Personal Survival Kit   Survival Kit EmptyTue May 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Tube Tent
Strike-anywhere Kitchen Matches In Waterproof Match Safe
Flashlight
Fire Starters
Signal Mirror
Police Whistle
MPI Emergency Space Bag
Parachute Cord-50'
Aluminum Foil-36"X36"
Insect Repellent
Water Purification Tablets
Pocket Survival Guide