Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Free Scotts Steering Damper fo

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Curbhopper

Free Scotts Steering Damper fo Empty
PostSubject: Free Scotts Steering Damper fo   Free Scotts Steering Damper fo EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Free Scotts Steering Damper advice needed here please.

Went on a rock ride a couple of weeks ago and caught myself a decent beating.
I rode the ride host's 525 EXC for the last 1/2 mile of the day equipped with a Scotts damper, his bike tracked straight and sure footed.
The suspension was so dialed in that the rocks seem non existent, the ride was pure pleasure.
It felt natural, my eyes were no longer glued to the trail and I found myself looking further down the trail and rode effortlessly.

The handlebar held ground, no more twitching. The damper kept me stable.
Visited Bustersdirtshop.com and a Scotts in my near future. (sub mount 1-1/8 bar)

Can anyone offer some installation tips? I am wrench challenged. cry

All help are greatly appreciated. thumb

Tony
Back to top Go down
rc23

rc23

PostSubject: Re: Free Scotts Steering Damper fo   Free Scotts Steering Damper fo EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Honestly it was prob 99% the difference in suspension you were feeling and not the damper.

Scotts makes a great product though - I have one on each of my race bikes.
Super easy to install...the instructions are more than enough.

Don't touch the low speed adjustment(screw on the side) - you more than likely dont need it.

Start with the damper all the way open and adjust as you ride.

Sidenote* I'd recommend getting the knob - its easier to turn on the fly and doesnt spin on the threads like the stock arrow
Bottom of page
http://www.scottsonline.com/dampacc-form.php?Type=dirt

Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: Free Scotts Steering Damper fo   Free Scotts Steering Damper fo EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:17 pm

rc23 wrote:
Honestly it was prob 99% the difference in suspension you were feeling and not the damper.

Scotts makes a great product though - I have one on each of my race bikes.
Super easy to install...the instructions are more than enough.

Don't touch the low speed adjustment(screw on the side) - you more than likely dont need it.

Sidenote* I'd recommend getting the knob - its easier to turn on the fly and doesnt spin on the threads like the stock arrow
Bottom of page
http://www.scottsonline.com/dampacc-form.php?Type=dirt

Thanks for the input.
I will know for sure once my damper is in place, whether the improvements derived more from the suspension or damper. wink
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Free Scotts Steering Damper fo   Free Scotts Steering Damper fo EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:00 pm

rc23 wrote:

I would only add a word of caution. Before you start adjusting the dampener "on the fly", learn where the extent or resistance is.

If you adjust it from "Zero" to "Max" you could be in for a real surprise in the next tight corner.

One time I jumped off of some very smooth flat stuff that required no dampening, and I got use to just to (Successfully and repeatedly) "rolling" my hand up the knob in one motion, which I did when I jumped from that into a high speed sandwash.

However, this time I was somewhat hasty when I scrolled my hand across it, and I got to a fairly tight corner at speed which required some turn input from the bars, and laid the bike into it and just kept laying and laying and laying it over (it wasn't turning in at all) until it high-sided. Off I went.

When I got myself off the deck and picked the bike up, the bars were locked almost solid. dddog
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: Free Scotts Steering Damper fo   Free Scotts Steering Damper fo EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 8:51 pm

X-Racer wrote:
rc23 wrote:

I would only add a word of caution. Before you start adjusting the dampener "on the fly", learn where the extent or resistance is.

If you adjust it from "Zero" to "Max" you could be in for a real surprise in the next tight corner.

One time I jumped off of some very smooth flat stuff that required no dampening, and I got use to just to (Successfully and repeatedly) "rolling" my hand up the knob in one motion, which I did when I jumped from that into a high speed sandwash.

However, this time I was somewhat hasty when I scrolled my hand across it, and I got to a fairly tight corner at speed which required some turn input from the bars, and laid the bike into it and just kept laying and laying and laying it over (it wasn't turning in at all) until it high-sided. Off I went.

When I got myself off the deck and picked the bike up, the bars were locked almost solid. dddog

Good tip X Racer.
I will remember not to brush my hand across it!
This maybe a "two birds with one stone" kinda thing, I need to raise my handlebars anyway.
Back to top Go down
kbike

kbike

PostSubject: Re: Free Scotts Steering Damper fo   Free Scotts Steering Damper fo EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Curbhopper wrote:
Free Scotts Steering Damper advice needed here please.

Went on a rock ride a couple of weeks ago and caught myself a decent beating.
I rode the ride host's 525 EXC for the last 1/2 mile of the day equipped with a Scotts damper, his bike tracked straight and sure footed.
Tony

You just drank some orange cool-aid! I know, KTM made a believer out of me.
hide
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: Free Scotts Steering Damper fo   Free Scotts Steering Damper fo EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:56 am

[/quote]

You just drank some orange cool-aid! I know, KTM made a believer out of me.
hide [/quote]

Very happy Very happy Very happy Very happy Very happy I sure did! I would have a KTM in the garage if I knew how to work on it. They require lots of TLC I hear. budah

I have confidence that with the damper installed, it will changed the ride.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Free Scotts Steering Damper fo   Free Scotts Steering Damper fo EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Curbhopper wrote:
I would have a KTM in the garage if I knew how to work on it. They require lots of TLC I hear.

Not the two stroke KTMs. I had one and it required minimal maintenance. However, the days of getting a title in NJ are gone.

How are you Tony? It has been a long time. I am still on the DL but hope to ride with you in 2013. thumb
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: Free Scotts Steering Damper fo   Free Scotts Steering Damper fo EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:25 am

njbill wrote:
Curbhopper wrote:
I would have a KTM in the garage if I knew how to work on it. They require lots of TLC I hear.

Not the two stroke KTMs. I had one and it required minimal maintenance. However, the days of getting a title in NJ are gone.

How are you Tony? It has been a long time. I am still on the DL but hope to ride with you in 2013. thumb

Hi Bill

Just saw the pic and it looks like it will be a speedy recovery. Can't wait to get back out with you and the boys.
We have to get together for a super easy ride. I have not been on the bike since the Berkshire ride and I could use a gentle ride myself.
The scotts damper is just plain cheating. Very happy don't know how I rode with out it.
As for the KTMs, looks like a 300 in my distant future but it will have to wait because I just picked up a Hobie for my kayak fishing hobby.
Hope to see you soon.

Tony
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free Scotts Steering Damper fo   Free Scotts Steering Damper fo Empty

Back to top Go down

Free Scotts Steering Damper fo
Page 1 of 1