Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

EFM - AutoClutch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Horsman

Horsman

EFM - AutoClutch Empty
PostSubject: EFM - AutoClutch   EFM - AutoClutch EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Well, I have placed my order with EFM - Garry for the Auto Clutch. http://www.efmautoclutch.com/ It is like $625 Plus the cost of the install by my mechanic.
I am pretty excited to see how this mod turns out.

Has anyone else purchased this AutoClutch and how do they like it???

Yeah I farkled the crap out my WRR (every mod on here) - and I still love it (won't sell it - they'll probably bury it with me when I die).
let me know what you think,
Jon Horsman Shog
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

EFM - AutoClutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: EFM - AutoClutch   EFM - AutoClutch EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Let me know how you like it. I've been debating getting one for the kdx.
Back to top Go down
Horsman

Horsman

EFM - AutoClutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: EFM - AutoClutch   EFM - AutoClutch EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Arkmage wrote:
Let me know how you like it. I've been debating getting one for the kdx.
I will definitely post up about it once it is done and installed - I really can't wait for it to be done. They "EFM" did recommend that I drop a tooth in the front sprocket which I have already done. I was originally thinking Revloc but they are no longer doing autoclutches.
Back to top Go down
Horsman

Horsman

EFM - AutoClutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: EFM - AutoClutch   EFM - AutoClutch EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 am

Well I got the AutoClutch from Garry and my Mechanic put it on my bike. it took a little while to get it since they needed to make a clutch cover spacer for it. they recommended that I drop a tooth in the front (I went from at 13 to a 12 a while back so I was fine).

Review:
1) the mechanic had to slightly adjust the brake lower (which is fine - actually it is better a little lower).
2) felt a little weird at first (40 years of clutching) make it freaky feeling (Left hand was feeling lonely without a purpose "maybe I need it to hold my drink" LOL) - but after a few rides, I really started to like it. I still have the left hand twitch for the lever.
3) slight squeal in the clutch if you don't have the rpm's up or in the right gear (it was telling me - you still need to shift when you wind out the gears)
4) very cool when you can put it in 1st and just sit there -- then romp on the throttle and the bike takes off.
5) Changing gears is fine - no problems - just keep on the throttle and change away ( i noticed that I had the bad habit of letting off the gas and rev up/feathering the clutch when I was shifting) - this AutoClutch says - just shift it damn it and hang on - it will do the work for you! If you don't have the RPM/Speed right it will let you know - which you can quickly shift up or shift down.
6) Engine Braking - I haven't had it on a trail yet but I have the feeling that with just a little bit of throttle(very little bit - just above idle) it will engage the clutch going down hill. ( I always blipped it with my YZ 250 so this won't be an issue).
7) Braking - I noticed that the bike doesn't allow for Power Braking or sliding (maybe it is my brakes). It slows down fine but I definitely can't lock up the rear wheel like I use to (not sure if this is good or bad). It could be my new Tubliss I just added to the bike with the 15 PSI causing it to be more difficult to brake.
8) Sometimes I will get some noice from the Clutch area when I riding - My mechanic says he has the auto clutch too and it says it does it from time to time and not to worry (it is just talking back). I don't see any issues or concerns with this auto clutch.

Would I recommend the Auto Clutch?
Yes - I think this is a great little mod (a little pricey @ $625). It feels like I am cheating. I think this Clutch has turned my Bike into a Tractor and will not stop for anything - if you are hanging off a cliff and if you can give it throttle it will pull you out (no worries about reaching over to get to the clutch lever). I think this is the perfect entry for friends/family that have never riden before to get on a bike and ride and not worry about clutch/shifting and just enjoy the ride. I see myself keeping this WRR for a very long time now that I have the Autoclutch - it is perfect for friends and family to use and have a great time with it too (won't have to worry about the ride and just enjoy the view) . wings
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

EFM - AutoClutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: EFM - AutoClutch   EFM - AutoClutch EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Sounds cool...now what about a rear brake lever for your drinkin hand?
Back to top Go down
Horsman

Horsman

EFM - AutoClutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: EFM - AutoClutch   EFM - AutoClutch EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 5:01 pm

I know _ I was thinking about getting the left hand rear brake lever/thing. Rekluse has it. I don't know, I still have a bad habit of squeezing things when I get excited!!! LOL GAHHHH I think I need to break the habit of just grabbing a fist full of clutch first -- Then I will go with the Rear brake lever. I heard some people that did it and they love it. I am afraid in a crisis situation I might go FULL RETARD. LOL.
Back to top Go down
oldmansurfing

EFM - AutoClutch Empty
PostSubject: EFM turn around time   EFM - AutoClutch EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Great write up on the EFM. Have a Rekluse Z-start in my YZ250 and love it. What/How was the turn around time after sending in your clutch assembly?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Horsman

Horsman

EFM - AutoClutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: EFM - AutoClutch   EFM - AutoClutch EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 10:44 am

It took a while (about 4 weeks)-- the only reason why it took so long was because he had to make the cover spacer and he hadn't had many of the WRR&X orders (so he didn't have any in stock). I have feeling he will carry more of the Spacers needed.

I think I am going to keep the Clutch level on the bars - reason:
1) I can still disengage the clutch incase if I need to feather it (rev up the engine before an engage)
2) It will allow me to rev up and pop the clutch if I need to get the front end up.
3) I still have the habit of grabing something when changing gears. (better that then a fist full of rear brake).

It does make the bike more fun and nimble without worrying about clutching in the very tight tech stuff. I really can't wait to get it to Rampart this Summer. This auto clutch will make it easier for new riders too - when they are just out to have a fun ride without thinking about the clutch the whole time - so this will be my other bike for friends and family to use if they want to go on a ride.

I had an 03 YZ250 and this thing would be PERFECT for it - I remember kicking starting on a muddy high (really sucks) - I never wanted my bike to die on me on a hill - I would rather see it fall of a mountain but still keep running. With the Auto Clutch, I could walk it out of a bad spot with the engine still going(no clutching needed).

Last edited by Horsman on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
oldmansurfing

EFM - AutoClutch Empty
PostSubject: EFM   EFM - AutoClutch EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks for the follow up. Not sure I can live without riding the R2 for that long but might see if EFM will send parts and do my own wrenching.

Enjoy the clutch-free riding!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

EFM - AutoClutch Empty
PostSubject: Re: EFM - AutoClutch   EFM - AutoClutch Empty

Back to top Go down

EFM - AutoClutch
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: