Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

suspension set up for trail riding

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bees knees

suspension set up for trail riding Empty
PostSubject: suspension set up for trail riding   suspension set up for trail riding EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm

this is my first bike and would like some suggestions on adjusting the suspension for trail riding.
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: suspension set up for trail riding   suspension set up for trail riding EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Yesterday I completely re-adjusted my stock suspension settings.

for the front forks and rear suspension I made these adjustments:

Front Forks:
10 clicks out for rebound (12 out is max, 1 being the hardest setting)
2 click out for compression (12 out is max, if I remember correctly, 1 being the hardest setting)

*make sure to have the bike on a stand to get the weight off the suspension and equalize the air pressure with the bleeder screw before every ride

Rear Suspension:
20 clicks out for rebound (25 out is max, 1 being the hardest setting)
2 clicks out for compression (12 out is max, if I remember correctly, 1 being the hardest setting)

*rear sag should be around 3 to 4 inches(lean more towards 3 inches if terrain is more hard pack/street and lean more towards 4 inches in soft sandy terrain), more rear sag slows turning down and keeps more weight towards the rear of the bike.

See the service manual for location and function for the adjustments.

I was way more happy with how my bike handled jumping, bumpy fire roads and freshly tilled fire perimeter(basically fresh fire road).

I lean more towards a MX style, but because the stock suspension isn't that great even at close to it's stiffest settings it's still pretty soft.

Here's a link that may help you:
http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/dirt-bike-suspension.html

Last edited by aaronhall555 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: suspension set up for trail riding   suspension set up for trail riding EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:55 pm

aaronhall555 wrote:

Rear Suspension:
20 clicks out for rebound (25 out is max, 1 being the hardest setting)

http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/dirt-bike-suspension.html
Just wanted to add that after a few dual sport rides(20% on road and 80% off road with some jumps) I changed my rear shock rebound to 18 clicks out. At 20 clicks out I was loosing traction when riding down/on railroad tracks. After adding just two clicks in to stopped the bouncing effect I was getting across the railroad ties. I was pretty surprised at the difference just two clicks made while riding over the railroad ties. Also felt better over large gravel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: suspension set up for trail riding   suspension set up for trail riding Empty

Back to top Go down

suspension set up for trail riding
Page 1 of 1