Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
iiideuces

Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. Empty
PostSubject: Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.   Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Earlier this week I went on my first overnight dual sport trip. I picked the closest national forest to me, rode all day, spent the night, rode all the next day and headed home. It was kind of a trial run to work out any kinks with my equipment and pare down where needed or add things I forgot or overlooked. It was largely successful with the exception that I forgot both my firearm and knife. If found myself deep in the woods with nothing but a small swiss army knife. I made do none the less. At this point I am ready for longer multi-night trips. Are there any WRR riders in Atlanta?!?

An album with better descriptions of the pics is here: https://imgur.com/a/zkCpq

Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. 5VvEz
^This is my kit. It will continue to be refined.
Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. SwC2a
^An edited for clarity GPS bread crumb trail of my travels.
Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. Mj5dW
^Atop an un-named peak.
Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. DSPU0
^Potential camp by a creek. With a forecast low of 40 I thought it might get too chilly to camp here.
Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. UUWFZ
^I selected this site atop Hawk Mountain to spend the night. This is near an Army Ranger training area and I heard automatic rifle fire throughout the night.
Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. 8vw1R
^A pano picture of my camp and Hawk Mountain top.
Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. LI4yf
^Sunrise. This picture does zero justice.
Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. BoyBr
"G 23" marker. No one has a good explanation of why this is here.
Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EDWIy
^Camp all cleaned up. Heading out around 9:30a.
Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EZNxV
Plane crash. Full NTSB report here:Continued flight into clouds. And then into the mountain. http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=13080&key=0
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.   Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 8:24 pm

What size North Face bag is that? Looks just right.

Back to top Go down
iiideuces

PostSubject: Re: Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.   Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 9:23 pm

It is the small size Base Camp Duffel. It measures 12x12x20.
Back to top Go down
J-Glow

PostSubject: Re: Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.   Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 pm

What tail bag do you have?
Back to top Go down
iiideuces

PostSubject: Re: Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.   Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:31 pm

That is the Wolfman Peak Tailbag. A bit smaller than I had in mind, but awesome quality and function.
Back to top Go down
J-Glow

PostSubject: Re: Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.   Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:46 pm

I just bought the Wolf tail and am sending it back. It's too big, exchanging it for the peak.

Sent you a PM also.....
Back to top Go down
iiideuces

PostSubject: Re: Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.   Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:50 pm

If you found that one too large you will probably like the Peak. I replied to your PM. Let me know if you would like pics of the duffle secure method.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.   Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 1:23 am

Looks like a blast. How far was the trip and did you take extra gas. If so, how did you transport it. Don't see any in the pictures. 
Back to top Go down
iiideuces

PostSubject: Re: Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.   Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 9:08 am

It was around 200 miles round trip with maybe 60-80 miles in the forest. I do carry extra fuel in a 1 liter MSR fuel can that lives in the exhaust side of my panniers. I did not need it on this trip though. It is pretty difficult to get out of range of a petrol station on the east coast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.   Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR. Empty

Back to top Go down

Chattahooche National Forest. First Trip on the WRXR.
Page 1 of 1