Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc

Go down 
+4
xy500
pbnut
craigq
motokid
8 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc Empty
PostSubject: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Watch this video. Watch how much the chain bounces and moves. Watch how much it slaps the swingarm.

Thanks to Magiksc for the video. bow

So do you really think a 12t versus a 13t front sprocket will really make a huge difference in swingarm wear and damage?

Yamaha put the protector there for a reason. Keep an eye on it. Replace when needed.

But seriously, a 12t front isn't going to eat your swingarm like it's soft butter when compared to a 13t.

IMHO

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 6:56 pm

That's a nice vid, thanks for posting it...
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Pretty shocking how much the chain "flexes" and undulates under different conditions isn't it?

10 inches of travel in the suspension means the chain does a lot of dancing. A lot.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:46 am

Maybe it's just me, but that chain appeared a bit on the loose side. While he's still on pavement it gets pretty slack when he decelerates, and then you see it go tight again as he applies some throttle.

I'm not arguing your point. I'm just saying that may, or may not, be an accurate depiction of what's happening on a properly adjusted chain.

Very happy
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 5:29 am

slapping the guard isnt as bad as grinding up against it, which this chain looks like it does under decel.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Good video. Thanks Motokid.

My chain, yours, his, even that guy over there, does the exact same thing whether adjusted right or not. Be on it, if the guard starts to get shredded, replace it. Easy. That's why it's there.

My mountain bike, if I don't wrap the chain stays(swingarm) with a tube, after a day at the mountain, beats that shit out of it.

A chain is a hunk of metal whipping around bouncing slapping etc. Soft metal/plastic will lose every time.
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 9:21 am

Slack is always there, whether it's on the top or the bottom depends on whether you're on the throttle (bottom) or off the throttle (top)....not a point of concern, at least for me.

Thanks for the illustration.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 9:37 am

DragonNester wrote:
Slack is always there, whether it's on the top or the bottom depends on whether you're on the throttle (bottom) or off the throttle (top)....not a point of concern, at least for me.

Thanks for the illustration.

Yep.

I think, generally speaking, a chain that's too tight is much more of an issue than a chain that's too loose.

Especially on a suspension system that has 10 inches of travel.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 7:49 pm

DragonNester wrote:

Since the swing-arm pivot point is between the drive and rear sprockets, some slack is always present, but the chain is tighter when the front and rear sprocket centres line up with the pivot point of the swing-arm. Above and below that, as the rear suspension compresses and expands, the chain is looser. Basic geometric principles of a triangle. This effect is more exaggerated on bikes with longer rear suspension travel.
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 9:42 pm

sturgeon wrote:
DragonNester wrote:

Since the swing-arm pivot point is between the drive and rear sprockets, some slack is always present, but the chain is tighter when the front and rear sprocket centres line up with the pivot point of the swing-arm. Above and below that, as the rear suspension compresses and expands, the chain is looser. Basic geometric principles of a triangle. This effect is more exaggerated on bikes with longer rear suspension travel.

When you are on the throttle the counter sprocket is pulling the chain over the top and what slack is in the chain is at the bottom where no force is being applied. When you roll of the throttle the force applied to the chain is coming from the rear wheel and is pulling the resisting counter sprocket causing what slack there is in the chain to be on the top of the swing arm. Watch the video closely and even on smooth pavement you can see this effect in action.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 10:58 am

I know where the slack is, I was just adding that it varies according to suspension compression. That's why MX bikes look like they have very loose chains when compared to road bikes. I've observed that those that come from road bikes sometimes have their chains too tight on bikes like the WRR. They ignore the recommended tension because it "looks too loose".
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 7:07 am

^ That is quite true.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc   Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain - How Much It Moves - Magiksc
Page 1 of 1