Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

to use a EFI programmer or not?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
seattlewrguy

to use a EFI programmer or not? Empty
PostSubject: to use a EFI programmer or not?   to use a EFI programmer or not? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 12:36 pm

i searched around for quite sometime and could not find my answer, so here i am.

my question/concern is this: my bike isn't even here yet (will be this Saturday!) but i am very close to getting an FMF EFI programmer anyway. i do not have any air mods or exhaust mods. i am also not trying to argue the power gain from a programmer, but more of the hassle and the the money. i got a EFI bike so i wouldn't have to worry about jetting and elevation issues. living in Washington, i don't know what elevation(s) i would be riding at, they do vary and i would rather not worry about it honestly. without and EFI programmer, would the bike still have issues maintaing proper fuel to air ratios at higher elevations?

any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: to use a EFI programmer or not?   to use a EFI programmer or not? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 4:54 pm

...IMHO, no. The bike will be fine. That's where particularly FI bikes are better than carb'd bikes, elevation.

All the mods to airbox, exhaust, and fuel add up to a peppier bike, but not huge gain in horsie-power.
My bike has all that stuff done to it by the PO, and yes, it's much more responsive than my bud's bone stock WR.
Very snappy=funner to ride, but mods=ca$h.
As a note, I removed the Yosh RS2 loud pipe and installed the stocker. It's just as fun to ride.

I'd concentrate on stuff you really need first. Handguards, skidplates, heated grips and such.
Maybe a K&N air filter. A larger rear sprocket helps alot offroad.
Most value's mod, again in my opinion, is a bigger gas tank.
Take the fuel programmer bucks and buy yourself an IMS 3 gallon.

You'll have funner longer. Very happy
Back to top Go down
seattlewrguy

PostSubject: Re: to use a EFI programmer or not?   to use a EFI programmer or not? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:21 pm

yeah, i am thinking of a rear sprocket for sure.

after i ride a bit i will probably want to do air/exhaust mods and have a programmer. i just don't know the elevations of where i ride since they change and how that would affect my riding.

mainly because i am not that mechanically inclined. which is why i left my DR650 all stock except the tires.

i have ridden with some guys in the past who had WRRs. i should ask them if they have programmers and if they change their maps and what not.

thanks,
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: to use a EFI programmer or not?   to use a EFI programmer or not? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 7:16 pm

With or without the programmer altitude will affect the bike the same. The programmer just allows you to fine tune your ride to how you like it, unless you plan on adjusting it all the time depending where you ride to get the perfect power all the time. It would be no different riding from sea level to 15000ft with or without it. Having the programmer makes the bike more responsive for sure and helps alot with low rev take offs etc.

I ride from 300m up to 2000m all the time and never adjust the EFI on the bike. Beautiful thing about EFI.
Back to top Go down
seattlewrguy

PostSubject: Re: to use a EFI programmer or not?   to use a EFI programmer or not? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 7:23 pm

IAmABug wrote:
With or without the programmer altitude will affect the bike the same. The programmer just allows you to fine tune your ride to how you like it, unless you plan on adjusting it all the time depending where you ride to get the perfect power all the time. It would be no different riding from sea level to 15000ft with or without it. Having the programmer makes the bike more responsive for sure and helps alot with low rev take offs etc.

I ride from 300m up to 2000m all the time and never adjust the EFI on the bike. Beautiful thing about EFI.

that's exactly the answer i was looking for, thank you. time to pull the trigger on that programmer.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: to use a EFI programmer or not?   to use a EFI programmer or not? Empty

Back to top Go down

to use a EFI programmer or not?
Page 1 of 1