Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Handel bar help

Go down 
+9
Daamud
adamoto
mick wr250r
Racig
skierd
Arkmage
RattTongue
zestymac
D J
13 posters
AuthorMessage
D J

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 12:19 pm

So today I went for a ride on my newly aquired wr250x Very happy and stopped at my local Wal-mart to get a pair of boots so I can take my motorcycle endorsement class. It's required so I have to do it. Got the boots, now realized the box doesn't fit in the back pack baldy I need a luggage rack. So put the boots on cause my shoes are smaller so I can crush down the box. Awesome good to go now. On my ride home (south Florida so no fun roads all flat and straight) I find our fair grounds parking lot is wide open so I let my self in wink Still new to bikes I practiced some 2nd gear wheelies and rolling burnouts in the gravel. After a little bIt of that I'm off on my way, take the neighborhood route home ( has some twistie roads) I see these jumps and dirtbikes tracks wings so I'm already there haha, riding around for but getting used to the offload terrain I'm going to leave and hit a bad stretch of bumpy grassy with lose sand mixed in it catch a patch just right and then the slow motion kicked in.
I see the front wheel go down and I'm in the air, tuckmy self in and get ready for impact! Thankfully I landed on my back with the box for some protection! bow I got up shoot it off picked the bike up and my handel bars are bent cry only stock but still. I'll put pics up in a little

So my question is what Handel bar would you guys suggest? Are the one fit all kinda thing. Sorry first bike, first fall, I just want to get out and ride again.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Maybe you should just wait until you crash on the other side and they'll be evened up.... lurk
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:21 pm

The stock bars will bend if you look at them wrong. Don't make the mistake that I did and replace them with some more cheap bars. I promptly bent the cheap bars the very next time I rode. Second time I replaced the bars, I got some Pro-Taper SE 7/8" bars. If you get 7/8" bars, like the Pro-Taper SE, it will work with the stock bar clamps. There are a variety of heights and bends. I got mine from Rocky Mountain ATV. I swear there was a chart at Rocky Mtn that gave the specs for the different bends/styles, etc. but I couldn't find the link. I am pretty sure it was posted in these forums some where so you may want to search around a little. Additionally, a google search will probably yield the specs on the stock bars for the WRR if you want to try and replace with a similiar bend.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:27 pm

I got the easton EXP bars... don't do that unless you like not having options for mounting anything to them.

Stick to standard bars (7/8 or 1-1/8") from one of the major brands (Renthal, Pro Taper, etc) and it's hard to go wrong.

I like "High Bend" bars myself. Makes it easier to shift my weight to the rear for sand offroad and wheelies (or attempts at them) on road. Right now I'm running CR High Bend.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:57 pm

+1 on the Pro taper products. Wide range of bends and colors an plenty strong, I prefer the higher bends with less pull back.... The OEM handlebars and footpegs seem to be made out out of melted down Daewoos...
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 2:04 pm

zestymac wrote:
The OEM handlebars and footpegs seem to be made out out of melted down Daewoos...

That is a valid comparison. My handlebars bent way too easy and my pegs are missing about half of their original mass at this point.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 3:00 pm

The Fastway footpegs were the second thing I bought for the WR. Ive had em on a bunch of bikes and really like them....
Back to top Go down
D J

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 12:45 am

RattTongue wrote:
The stock bars will bend if you look at them wrong. Don't make the mistake that I did and replace them with some more cheap bars. I promptly bent the cheap bars the very next time I rode. Second time I replaced the bars, I got some Pro-Taper SE 7/8" bars. If you get 7/8" bars, like the Pro-Taper SE, it will work with the stock bar clamps. There are a variety of heights and bends. I got mine from Rocky Mountain ATV. I swear there was a chart at Rocky Mtn that gave the specs for the different bends/styles, etc. but I couldn't find the link. I am pretty sure it was posted in these forums some where so you may want to search around a little. Additionally, a google search will probably yield the specs on the stock bars for the WRR if you want to try and replace with a similiar bend.

I did some searching after posting, the demension throw me off because I have no idea what would be better, only ridden the WRX. Are the 7/8 tapers much sturdier? I don't mind replacing the bar clamps Its a one time change kinda thing. I am going to hold off till Monday and go to my local cycle gear and see what they have in stock.

Arkmage wrote:
I got the easton EXP bars... don't do that unless you like not having options for mounting anything to them.

Stick to standard bars (7/8 or 1-1/8") from one of the major brands (Renthal, Pro Taper, etc) and it's hard to go wrong.

I like "High Bend" bars myself. Makes it easier to shift my weight to the rear for sand offroad and wheelies (or attempts at them) on road. Right now I'm running CR High Bend.

zestymac wrote:
+1 on the Pro taper products. Wide range of bends and colors an plenty strong, I prefer the higher bends with less pull back.... The OEM handlebars and footpegs seem to be made out out of melted down Daewoos...
I like the look of the EXP bars but I will run hand guards and mirrors of some sort. I want a bit thicker bar but does that mean new grips and throttle tube as well? I think I want a higher bar.

Offroad has gotten me twice now but first time was under 15 mph Shog sugar sand.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 1:20 am

I bent my ProTaper SE's just as easily as I bent the original stock bars. The ProTaper Evo's (1-1/8") held up well for me though. Fat bars all taper to 7/8" at the controls so you can use the stock throttle tube and controls.

If you're gonna go down, there are few better places to do it than deep sugar sand. Nice soft landing usually. thumb
Back to top Go down
Racig

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 6:42 am

Arkmage wrote:

Can you explain? Are the Easton bars much narrower or wider than 7/8 or 1-1/8"?
Back to top Go down
mick wr250r

mick wr250r

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: handle bar confusion   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 9:22 am

can someone explain what the diffrent specs mean for bars whats good to use and whats not
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:04 am

Racig wrote:
Can you explain? Are the Easton bars much narrower or wider than 7/8 or 1-1/8"?

The center section where the bars clamp is 1-3/8" so after market windscreen, some types of handguard clamps, etc won't fit it. There is only one company that sells a scotts steering stabilizer mount for them. Highway Dirt Bikes top clamps won't work with them.

They have a longer 7/8" straight section for controls than pro taper bars which is nice, but you're going to have to go custom if you want to clamp anything in the center.
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:33 am

I have the Easton 1 3/8" bars and I love them, but they also make a 1 1/8" bar for those who are worried about mounting options. Also I bought these Easton hanlebar mounts for mounting my Acerbis handguards and the quality of these is awesome thumb

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/EASTON-EXP-HANDGUARD-BAR-MOUNT <--- Click here
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:42 am

Those mounts are pretty slick. I ended up getting some cyra triple clamp mounts and a set of thread in inserts on the bar ends.
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:49 am

Yeah, those mounts could be used to mount up other things as well, and for $25 bucks they are a pretty good deal. I also heard Easton was working on a steering stabilizer that works with their hardware.
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 12:03 pm

http://cruxstudio.com/portfolio/steering-stabilizer-mount.php

Found it. Can't find whether it's available or not.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 1:10 pm

http://www.hillsboromotorcycles.com/eshopprod_cat_6412_product_942866.1_38quot_Stabilizer_Mount.htm
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Tusk CR-HI 7/8'' from Rocky Mountain ATV for me. Have them rotated forward a tad. They fit me just right (6'2'').

Been down a few times.....Not bent yet. And cheap too.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/229/947/-/12330/Tusk-T-10-Aluminum-7-8%2522-Handlebar
Back to top Go down
millert85

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 7:02 am

mick wr250r wrote:
can someone explain what the diffrent specs mean for bars whats good to use and whats not
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t3718p20-handlebar-height-stock-vs-scots-kit-difference

have a read thru that thread. plenty of irrelevant info to you, but on the 2nd page i have a couple of posts that explain the measurements of bars and a diagram or too on how it works. feel free to pm if you got anyother questions. if there is enough interest i'll pull all the bars out of their boxes at work and write up a full pictorial guide to bar bends.
Back to top Go down
sewerat

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 7:54 am

Im interested in knowing what the max riser would fit with stock cables? I'd like the most height I can get without changing any cables.
Back to top Go down
D J

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 1:45 pm

I ended buying the pro taper bars in the 1 1/8th, cr hi bend they are really comfortable and change the appearance greatly.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 6:03 pm

I took the stock bars off before I bent them. I bent a pair up myself out of 4130, 5 inches taller. 1" diameter so everything fits.
Back to top Go down
jmoney

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Easton EXP Stabilizer Mounting Kit   Handel bar help EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Resurrecting an old thread here in hopes someone may know where to track down the stabilizer kit for the easton exp 1-3/8" bars or even someone that has a set they may want to part with.

Arkmage wrote:
http://www.hillsboromotorcycles.com/eshopprod_cat_6412_product_942866.1_38quot_Stabilizer_Mount.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Handel bar help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handel bar help   Handel bar help Empty

Back to top Go down

Handel bar help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X General Discussion-
Jump to: