Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Flat, Boring Saskatchewan

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Novy

Flat, Boring Saskatchewan Empty
PostSubject: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 2:27 pm

I've been waiting a few weeks for some decent weather (something like 10 degrees celcius and less than 20km/h winds) during my days off to finally go on my maiden voyage. I'd only been touring around town with quick rips on the highway, I've been wanting to put some real miles on. This is my first of hopefully many adventures with a goal to post as many pictures as I can that contradict my thread title (for those of you who don't know, there is a common misconception that there is nothing at all in Saskatchewan besides flat, treeless fields).

From Thursday to Friday evening we had almost an inch of rain. Doesn't sound like much but at this time of year with the amount of moisture still in the ground it doesn't disappear quick. The weather forecast showed Saturday being the only half decent day in the near future. I waited until the late morning to see how quickly it was drying up while contemplating where I was going to go. By 10am I figured it would be do-able and started gearing up with the intention of riding in a familiar area while exploring some new roads. I started by putting the rotopax on to my nomadic rack, and then worked on getting my photography gear together as I hate to leave home without it. I quickly concluded that I am in need of yet another camera backpack. I like to keep my 70-200f/2.8L on my 7D (wildlife shooting is far too spontaneous to have to make a lense change), and also like to keep my Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for landscape. My Kata HB205 backpack is way too big, and the Swiss Gear sling bag way too small. I elected to take the sling bag with the WA mounted and carry the zoom in my tail bag (which I planned to leave at home). Mounting the tail bag atop the rotopax was a pain but eventually I got it. I filled the bottom with foam to ensure the lense wouldn't see such harsh vibration. Figured a way to secure my tripod and then it was time for a quick lube of the chain before getting my gear on. I was torn on what to wear, the temp was still climbing but I didn't want to overheat or freeze either. Elected to put on some long johns under my Thor Static pants, and then my Thor Static jersey under my Icon Arc jacket. The combination was pretty much perfect. Could have used some gloves that were a bit warmer than my Icon Arcs.

Flat, Boring Saskatchewan 6934591618_2944be94fa
IMG_0329 by bman32_320, on Flickr

I decided to head east off the start and then south to end up between Round Lake and Crooked Lake in the Qu'Appelle valley. Many of my summers were spent at Crooked Lake when I was younger, but I have not been there for about 5 years. Being the 2nd last downstream lake in the Qu'Appelle chain, it was hit really hard last year by the flooding that was experienced in SE Sask. The first 50km was highway, followed by about 20km of gravel. The gravel had been graded recently and was quite soft. I found my front tire wobbling a lot and I have to keep my speed around 50km/h most of the way. Once in the valley I was back on pavement. I took a quick ride through the east end of the lake down to the spillway. The cabins on this end suffered a lot of damage as this is more or less the lowest area of the lake. I stopped down by the water briefly.

Flat, Boring Saskatchewan 7080668991_7711f7041e
riding 010 by bman32_320, on Flickr

From there I took a rip up an old trail I knew to get to the top of the valley. I stopped for a bit of a break, had a snack and some water. Found it was fairly warm when not moving and had to take my jacket off.

Flat, Boring Saskatchewan 7080673743_78e9dcf8dd
riding 014 by bman32_320, on Flickr

After that I followed a gravel road through the valley a little ways before heading back north to Neudorf, east down highway 22 and north home on highway 47. I'd like to start further east some day, as close to the start of the valley as possible and follow it west closer to Regina, maybe make it a multi day trip.
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Ya' gotta love the way the blue on the bikes kinda stands out in pictures. thumb

How about a picture or two of your project truck? droooool
Back to top Go down
Novy

PostSubject: Re: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 5:13 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17118323@N04/sets/72157625864888014/

Was hoping to get it done this year but my ambition level has been almost non existant lately. The bike has been a bit of a distraction as well.
Back to top Go down
foofighter

foofighter

PostSubject: Re: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Hey Novy, I'm also on the Sask Dual Sport Forum. Saying Hi to a fellow Saskatchewan WRR rider! You are going to really fall in love with that bike! I know I did.
Back to top Go down
mix123

PostSubject: Re: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 9:53 pm

I wonder how many WRR/X's there are in Sask...You two and me so far that I know of. I wouldnt mind taking my X down some of those valley roads some day soon.
Back to top Go down
foofighter

foofighter

PostSubject: Re: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 am

Mix123 are you located in Saskatoon?
Back to top Go down
mix123

PostSubject: Re: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 am

Nope. Regina.
Back to top Go down
Still_lost

PostSubject: Re: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Flat and boring yup that's Saskatchewan, I just bought a wrr so there are now at least four wrr here.
I got to say thou they don't like the wind out that much.
Back to top Go down
Novy

PostSubject: Re: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:39 pm

Cool, good to see more of them popping up. Where are you located? Swing by saskatchewandualsport.com if you haven't already.

Yeah, the wind is a bit of a chore on these things. Light bike, high center of gravity. I've found upwards of 25km/h starts taking a bit of work and 40km/h is on the verge of being unbearable, at least pushing me outside my comfort zone. I'm a rookie to riding on the highway yet though so I might learn to cope with it a bit better.
Back to top Go down
Still_lost

PostSubject: Re: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Ha ha just checked out that site, watched a vid of a couple a guys out for a winter rip ha that's what happens to sled necks when there's no snow. I had my vstrom out but it's got a windscreen and heat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flat, Boring Saskatchewan   Flat, Boring Saskatchewan Empty

Back to top Go down

Flat, Boring Saskatchewan
Page 1 of 1