Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Throttle responce is slow.

Go down 
+2
bigg
mcdoudlehopper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Throttle responce is slow. Empty
PostSubject: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptySun May 13, 2012 10:04 am

When I twist my grip quickly, (in neutral, on stand) the engine kinda goes VA-VROoOM. Throttle responce is slow and almost like the bike hickups before revving. Also having this when taking off at stop signs. Bike is 2012 with 500 miles and no mods. Maybe someone can point me somewhere or its going for warranty.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:25 am

Does it do this when the engine is still cold? Or when its properly warmed up?

Just after turning it on in first and second gear I get some hesitation at quick throttle openings (say from 10% to 80% throttle). However it only does this when it's still properly cold. I checked and it literally takes 1 minute/max 2 minutes of riding and it goes away. (so it's technically still "cold" as the oil isn't up to temp but I guess the engine warmed up).

So I would say not to worry about it if it only happens on cold starts. Should be nice and smooth however if the engine is warm

Edit: just read that it also bogs down when taking off from the lights... scratch scratch

Has it done this since the beginning?

Last edited by bigg on Sun May 13, 2012 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:28 am

Depending on how critical you are this might just be the stock tuning.

I had similar complaints about mine before installing a programmer. Particularly there was a lag that made it difficult to rev match sometimes... put on an FMF and that is no longer an issue.

Might be worth meeting up with someone else in your area or getting one of the dealer techs familiar with the WR to take it on a quick ride.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptySun May 13, 2012 9:00 pm

When I get to work in the A.M., I will check it while fully warmed up. Probably could use to clean my airfilter also. Been riding for about 2 months and got around 600 miles. Doesnt seem dirty though. Saving for a programer. kumbaya
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptyTue May 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Responce is better while warm but still not right. Gonna try some seafoam. Found throttle cable was a little stretched as well. Was getting on and off lurching while slower speeds. Throttle responce still sucks.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Removed the AIS and did the airbox mod today. Seems like hesitation is now a little worse. Throttles up beautifully on a slow roll but snap the throttle and it pukes before revving.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm fairly certain the issue is a lean tip in as mine got much better with the fuel programmer.

The fact it got worse when you opened things up suggests I'm right. Get a programmer.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:34 pm

good to hear more reasons for a programmer, Its next on my list. Ordered my skid plate today.
Back to top Go down
firejosh

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Just wondering if you went with a programmer and if it helped...holding my breathe here...
Back to top Go down
pantera1

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 6:16 am

I bought my 2008 R in August. Piped, FMF programmer, air filter mod, AIS, etc.

The bike ran well, but had some areas where I felt fueling could be better. Programmer was set 3-4-1-8-4-4.5

Now that the temps have dropped, throttle response also dropped off, particulary at lower rpms. It seemed like it wants more fuel. Warmed up was better.

Yesterday with temps in the upper 40's, I put the programmer at 4-5-1-8-1-1. The first two values are cruise and acceleration, so they got more fuel. The last two numbers were lowered to add more fuel sooner in acceration and full throttle modes.

It improved all the areas in was lacking in! The throttle response is much more linear vs the on/off choppiness it had. I'm gonna ride it like this for a few days and get a better feel for the settings.

The cooler weather for sure made the bike run different. Yamaha seems to be very lean from the factory with alot of their bikes, FI or carburated.

This was my first experience playing with a programmer. It sure is alot quicker that jet changing or shimming a needle. lol
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 1:13 pm

pantera1 wrote:
I bought my 2008 R in August. Piped, FMF programmer, air filter mod, AIS, etc.

The bike ran well, but had some areas where I felt fueling could be better. Programmer was set 3-4-1-8-4-4.5

Now that the temps have dropped, throttle response also dropped off, particulary at lower rpms. It seemed like it wants more fuel. Warmed up was better.

Yesterday with temps in the upper 40's, I put the programmer at 4-5-1-8-1-1. The first two values are cruise and acceleration, so they got more fuel. The last two numbers were lowered to add more fuel sooner in acceration and full throttle modes.

It improved all the areas in was lacking in! The throttle response is much more linear vs the on/off choppiness it had. I'm gonna ride it like this for a few days and get a better feel for the settings.

The cooler weather for sure made the bike run different. Yamaha seems to be very lean from the factory with alot of their bikes, FI or carburated.

This was my first experience playing with a programmer. It sure is alot quicker that jet changing or shimming a needle. lol

Thanks for these numbers. I had my PP set where I really liked it at 75 ish deg F. This morning on my commute it was around 40 deg F and I noticed a difference, especially with the off-idle drop. I thought the stock ECU would automatically add fuel as the temps got lower, but maybe it needs a little more help with the programmer. Funny, I never had a problem with my carbed bikes and they usually ran better at colder temps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throttle responce is slow.   Throttle responce is slow. Empty

Back to top Go down

Throttle responce is slow.
Page 1 of 1