Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?

Go down 
+3
motokid
bigg
oic0
7 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?   Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer? EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 10:33 pm

I'm arguing with some sport bike people and they don't understand why I would prefer a phone app that tells me when im speeding with a buzz. They think I'm just a lazy person who doesn't want to pay attention. Ok I am a bit lazy, but am I the only one that finds it a hassle to carefully manage your speed and avoid tickets with our speedometer that is completely out of your line of sight in the normal seating position? Looking down to check it causes me to take my eyes off the road.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?   Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 4:55 am

Usually I go by feel ( I know it's not accurate but whatever). So I know for example that in third gear, at that amount of throttle/engine noise/vibrations I will be doing roughly this speed. Usually accurate to about 5-10 km/h.

If I want to know for sure, or am driving by a 30 km/h or 50 km/h section (this is where its the most likely here that there will be speed traps, or cops around the corner in town) I look at the speed from time to time. Its just a quick glance so I don't find it too much of a hassle. Unless you're driving in insane traffic conditions (at which point the speed limit would be useless anyway) I don't feel like I am risking my safety by checking the speedo for a fraction of a second.

Much more dangerous for me is when I get distracted by the surroundings/ looking at the scenery Shog

but yes, the speedo is not in the line of sight with the normal seatiing position, but then again, I feel like pretty much most bikes have the same issue...
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?   Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 am

oic0 wrote:
I'm arguing with some sport bike people

Heeelllllllllooooooooooooooooo - there's your sign. poser2

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?   Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 5:39 am

I hate looking at most digital gauges....give me white analog any day.
I remember the guy on the corner, when I was a kid, had an old monte carlo loaded,...and in his speedo was a settable stick, like an old oven timer...set it to the speed and it would buzz when you passed it. I really cant understand why every speedo doesnt have that feature.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?   Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 6:45 pm

If you can't look down for a split second occasionally to check your speed, and can't judge how fast you are going by comparison to other traffic or by how fast you're passing stuff on the sides of the road, consider other forms of transportation.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?   Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 7:45 pm

I said id like an app not that im brain damaged. Its morning, youre speeding to keep up with traffic and not get run over, but would like keep it under 10 over as thats where a ticket gets serious. Underpowered bike has speed variations with wind and inclines so my speed moves around making it darn hard to stay within a 2 or 3 mph range without looking down all the time. Ive been managing it for the last year but help from an app that buzzs if i go over a limit would be nice
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?   Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 12:18 pm

After 32 years of riding I don't need a speedometer. I can tell you, within a few mph, how fast I'm going just by feel.

That said, when I do look down for split second the speedometer on this bike seems just fine to me. I like how clean the dash panel looks. Wish it had a fuel guage more than anything else. On an upright bike like this where else would they put the speedo, on a pole sticking up in front of you? It's never going to be as easy to look at as when you're leaning forward on a sport bike and your chin is inches away from the fuel tank...
Back to top Go down
Opie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?   Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer? EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 12:27 am

I like the digital speedo. Although it's always 8% to 10% high, it's super easy to read.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?   Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone else find it annoying to read the speedometer?
Page 1 of 1