Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Standard chain

Go down 
+2
DragonNester
Corycy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Corycy

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Standard chain   Standard chain EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 9:16 am

Well I put new sprockets and chain on for an up and coming long trip and I went with the standard chain this time. I must say I was pretty impressed on how much hp felt like it was getting to wheel. Hills coming out of my neighborhood than I would normaly have to stift down for, now it just keeps pluging along. Plus the bike now finally coast, with the o-ring chain it felt like putting on the breaks as soon as you pull in the clutch.

Happy so far standard chain, I'm looking to see how happy I will be down the road.

Has anyone tried a stanard chain with the wr? How did it hold up? What was your maintenance like?

I seen that there was some talk of using standard chains somewhere but i could not find it again.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard chain   Standard chain EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 10:25 am

I too,switched a non-o-ring chain and like it for the same reason....less friction. I believe it will require more maintenance to last as long, though. I've been taking it off to clean and lube (soak in oil). One good thing....when I take it off for maintenance, the process exposes the sprockets for cleaning and inspection.

I have only a 600 hundred miles on it. So, I don't know how it will wear over time. If it even comes close to an o-ring chain, I'll stick with it.
Back to top Go down
Corycy

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard chain   Standard chain EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Yeah I think keeping it clean and lube will help it go a long way. I have a 5k trip starting this coming Tuesday so we will see.

I see you from east Tn. I'm in Friendville. You near that area?
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard chain   Standard chain EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Hey neighbor,
I'm in Greenback....what a great motorcycling area we live in. Peace YAM Where do you ride? I usually just do stuff in the Cherokee National forest, with the exception of a few close by trails.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard chain   Standard chain EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 9:38 pm

My bike came with a standard chain with 13/52.
Since then I switched back to 13/42 and an O-ring chain.
When you hold them both in your hand, there is quite a difference.
Compared to bicycle chains, its like a new chain compared to a very rusty, seized old chain...night and day.
I guess the o-ring stays its way for a longer time, with little attention...so if abuse and neglect is your dish...that's the way to go.
If you you don't mind cleaning your chain after a dirty ride, a standard chain makes alot of sense.

I'm thinkin a standard chain with a strict wd40 regimen for simplicity's sake...
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard chain   Standard chain EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 6:59 am

My experience with the two types of chains:

Motocross bikes, which are "high-maintenance bikes", the kind of bike that is supposedly just the opposite of a "low-maintenance bike" like a WR-250R or WR-250X, come with standard chains (non-O-ring) because a standard chain costs less and will require at least some cleaning and lube to keep it alive for any length of time.
Also, I believe another big reason is because it is assumed you'll be at a motocross track and very close by to your pit and toolbox for any chain adjustment, if needed.

When I started riding dirt bikes, that's what all bikes came with.
You can clean and lube that chain after each and every ride, but you'll still need to make a slack adjustment much more often.
That's just fine and dandy as long as that's what you're after and accept that.

These days (actually, for the past 15 or 20 years), O-ring chains come on practically all bikes that aren't the lowest-priced models in a manufacturer's line-up or motocross bikes.
Dual-purpose bikes have them, off-road bikes (not motocross bikes, but bikes intended for high-performance off-road riding) have them, and street bikes have them.
Reason?
They last much longer with little upkeep because the rubber O-rings are used to seal grease into the critical pin joint, the joint that, once worn, makes the chain toast.
Even a used bike with an O-ring chain maintained by a lazy slacker stands a good chance of still being in decent condition.
There are limits to that, of course, like anything else.

My opinion:
If you want to take your "low-maintenence" motorcycle and install a high-maintenence chain, go for it.
I know what it takes to keep a standard chain alive, and that's cleaning and lubing immediately afer each ride.
Seems a poor choice to me, mainly because the O-ring chain stands a much better chance of lasting longer no matter what you do, and never seeing dirt and water will give you the best shot of achieving that.
Back to top Go down
Corycy

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard chain   Standard chain EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 10:36 pm

DN- I race Mountain bikes at a high level so I'm gone all the time, but when I travel I always take the wr and the long way round. Some of my favorite stuff is around the ocoee area. I alway hit that up when I have to make my way south. Cheokee is nice as well. I 'll always take Citico to the Cherohala. My wr is setup for the long haul , so it becomes a handful on single track. Question: Do you know if River rd in open? Last time I was there they had it closed at the Tn/Nc bourder.

As far as the chain. Had a quick 300 mile trip and it just so smooth. It's a trade of I guess. With all the extra time I have not checking valves I guess I can spend it on the chain.
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard chain   Standard chain EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 7:04 am

Corycy wrote:
...Question: Do you know if River rd in open? Last time I was there they had it closed at the Tn/Nc bourder...

I don't know about that. I sometimes ride Smithfield Road (between hwy 68 and Green Cove), but ever since they shutdown Upper Tellico OHV Area I don't venture into NC via River Rd.
Back to top Go down
duanew

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard chain   Standard chain EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 11:37 am

Corycy wrote:
Question: Do you know if River rd in open? Last time I was there they had it closed at the Tn/Nc bourder.

I went from River Rd. to Davis Creek road about a month ago. It says that the road is closed but it is not hard to get through there with dual sport bike. Just go around the signs.
Back to top Go down
skrew

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard chain   Standard chain EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 10:23 am

My 2 cents.. Since I have Scottoiler vSytem installed on my commuter wrX, I am thinking to get non-sealed chain again and again. As my chain always lubricated with desired portion of cheap engine oil, I don't need to lose on frictions and can save some part of hp and $$ on cheap non-sealed chain. I think for commuter it can even improve MPG as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Standard chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard chain   Standard chain Empty

Back to top Go down

Standard chain
Page 1 of 1