Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cam Chain Tensioner

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Corycy

Cam Chain Tensioner  Empty
PostSubject: Cam Chain Tensioner    Cam Chain Tensioner  EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:14 pm

So on my way out west I have developed a rattle that gets louder with the rev of the motor. I have read other post where other have had this same noise and it was the cam chain tensioner going bad and no longer working.

So I took it to the shop in Great Falls, MT. They took it apart and everything was fine. He even said he doesn't hear anything wrong or worries him. He said it sounds normal with a top end with 41K.

I don't know what to think. The motor is a lot louder now than before I started this trip.

Maybe I'm over worried?

Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: Cam Chain Tensioner    Cam Chain Tensioner  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:26 pm

I was driving along when the bike started to skip. I pull in the clutch and the motor cut off. I pull off and try to restart. It was sounding like the starter was having a hard time turning the motor over. I stoped and tried again and it cranked right up. At this point the bike sounds really bad. Hissing and a noise like someone is trying to shift in reverse in their car while moving forward.

I have to keep going because I dont have cell signal. So after about 5 mins the over heat light comes on, luckly though i had signal and was able to get a ride.

So it's in the shop now and all they see is a loose cam chain. Could a loose cam chain cause all these problems?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Cam Chain Tensioner    Cam Chain Tensioner  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Not sure if it's possible on these motors but have the shop make sure the cam timing didn't skip. Sure sounds like it might have though that usually means bent valves.
Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: Cam Chain Tensioner    Cam Chain Tensioner  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Good thinking. I have them replacing the chain for now, so the cost is on me as yamaha does not replace worn parts. I would imagine they would check that when replacing the chain.
Back to top Go down
Huron52

PostSubject: Re: Cam Chain Tensioner    Cam Chain Tensioner  EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 am

This might be unrelated but on my 2004 YAMAHA FJR I have replaced the cam chain tensioner two times. Now YAMAHA has brought out a revised cam chain tensioner from the original part. They indicate that it will not wear out as quick. Time will tell. The bike now has 219,000kms on it.
Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: Cam Chain Tensioner    Cam Chain Tensioner  EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Well the shop is claiming the chain is worn. Funny because 800 miles ago I brought it in and the said it wwas fine. Makes me think they did not even check it.
Back to top Go down
Huron52

PostSubject: Re: Cam Chain Tensioner    Cam Chain Tensioner  EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 9:24 pm

I think I would have to agree on that assessment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cam Chain Tensioner    Cam Chain Tensioner  Empty

Back to top Go down

Cam Chain Tensioner
Page 1 of 1