Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

flatlands raceing skid plate noise

Go down 
+31
wwguy
Diamond K
Leo167
WolfpackFBNS
Jens Eskildsen
rsteiger
Fiftygrit
Gath3r13
Evol
Tewster2
doc_simple
blusmoke
rarepartbuilder
Biglake
oldschoolsdime92
MADDOGGIE501
abc23
michiko
greyrider
tmate
LordEndo
DorianHellas
bracky72
AZNoob
mudmullet
f1isbest
grnd0
Dogen
Adaycj
motokid
jcasey
35 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jcasey

jcasey

flatlands raceing skid plate noise Empty
PostSubject: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:38 am

Has anyone figured out a way to fix the noise from the plate? Mine is real loud at highway speeds and when backing off gas deaccelerating . :hmmm:
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:49 am

Yes - insulate the plate with something. I think some have coated it with a brush-on plastic-coat style stuff.

Some just use a foam insulation material with a sticky backer and stick it on plate.

It's been mentioned numerous times around here. Just not sure where at the moment.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:51 am

Bingo. <-- clicky

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Adaycj

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 8:25 pm

I sold my aluminum plate, but I used a chunk of rubber flooring material and it quited the noise. I just cut it in the shape of the plate. Avoid things that are too thick, it makes the bolts a pain to get in.
Back to top Go down
jcasey

jcasey

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 am

thanks all. I have glued a piece of rubber material on the plate. Waiting for it to dry and will put it back on today. I will post the results.
Back to top Go down
jcasey

jcasey

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Works great! It still makes a little noise but if you had not heard it before you would not notice. You can hear the motor now!!
Back to top Go down
Dogen

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 pm

jcasey wrote:
thanks all. I have glued a piece of rubber material on the plate. Waiting for it to dry and will put it back on today. I will post the results.

What exactly was the rubber material you used.
The skid plate noise drives me crazy!
Back to top Go down
grnd0

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:51 pm

I just took mine off. Drilled a bunch of holes, sprayed auto undercoating on the inner
side, and put 3m double sided mounting tape on the frame rails where the plate might
touch. Rode today and it's 75% quieter. Very happy Very happy
Back to top Go down
jcasey

jcasey

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:53 pm

I used the stuff truck companys use to keep stuff from sliding. It is about 1/16" thick. Glued it to plate. I would think any rubberlike materal would work. I would say the noise is 95% gone. You can hardley tell it.
Back to top Go down
f1isbest

f1isbest

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 9:40 am

jcasey wrote:
I used the stuff truck companys use to keep stuff from sliding. It is about 1/16" thick. Glued it to plate. I would think any rubberlike materal would work. I would say the noise is 95% gone. You can hardley tell it.

I went to Harbor freight and bought the rubber step matte which has an adhesive on the back. I works fine.

Back to top Go down
Dogen

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 6:01 pm

I had trouble finding a suitable sheet of rubber to line my skid plate until I came across a roll of tool box liner at Princess Auto (kind of like Canada's version of Harbour Freight).
I only lined the bottom and not the wings. I used silicone to glue it to the plate.
I am happy with the results. I would say it reduced the noise by 75%. I wonder if lining the wings would improve that but I don't think I will. The noise at it's present level doesn't bother me anymore.

flatlands raceing skid plate noise IMG_0957
flatlands raceing skid plate noise IMG_0961
Back to top Go down
mudmullet

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm

I used some reticulated foam that I had leftover from making sailboat cushions. Strips rubber cemented to the skidplate, between the frame rails and it knocked out 85% of the noise. The howling is pretty much gone.
Back to top Go down
AZNoob

AZNoob

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 5:03 pm

grnd0 wrote:
I just took mine off. Drilled a bunch of holes, sprayed auto undercoating on the inner
side, and put 3m double sided mounting tape on the frame rails where the plate might
touch. Rode today and it's 75% quieter.    Very happy    Very happy  
That's what I'm doing now before install, I probably read this a month ago and got the idea.... No extra holes although that's always an option.
Using some "Premium" rubberized undercoating from the Dome Hepot and plan to apply 4-6 coats maybe depending on how it looks after the first two dry. I considered the harder non-skid/flight deck stuff but figured it would be a little too hard to absorb noise.

thanks for the tip!
Back to top Go down
bracky72

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 8:22 am

Use garden hose gaskets as spacers on the back side of the skid plate. It removes all contact between the plate and bike. No more vibration. The sell them in multipacks at home improvement stores.
Back to top Go down
DorianHellas

DorianHellas

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 4:03 pm

I installed my skid plate from Flatland, and I have no issues when it comes to noise. I've seen people glue bike tubes to the parts that touch the frame and add rubber washers in order to get rid of the noise.
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 10:28 pm

I wrapped my frame rails in inner tube from an old mtn biking tube and zap strapped it on. Has never been a problem.

flatlands raceing skid plate noise Image_zps8210f976

Back to top Go down
tmate

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Just bought a skid. Trying a coat of line-x on the inside. Going out this weekend. Hopefully the noise wont be a problem.
flatlands raceing skid plate noise Photo1_zps582eca8c
flatlands raceing skid plate noise Photo2_zps2119f65e
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 11:27 pm

I sprayed mine inside and out with black gravel guard, like they use
on the rockers of cars, no noise from mine, I used blue locktight on the
bolts so they wont vibrate loose, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
greyrider

PostSubject: skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:52 pm

I got a can of Plasti Dip Spray from hardware and sprayed on 5 coats on side facing up over several days and then got some electrical grommets for the bolts. Seems at least 75% quieter.
Back to top Go down
michiko

PostSubject: noise made worse   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 6:49 pm

stuck some rubber sheeting on my yesterday and if anything the noise is worse!
Back to top Go down
abc23

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 1:39 am

I used dynamat on mine (car audio sound proofing) WORKS AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
MADDOGGIE501

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 11:02 pm

[quote="michiko"]stuck some rubber sheeting on my yesterday and if anything the noise is worse![/quote

I just used some half inch foam weather stripping. i stuck it on the bottom of the frame rails and on the rear most part of the skid plate. No more noise.
Back to top Go down
oldschoolsdime92

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 2:43 pm

I used the combination of adhesive weather strip on the frame rails, and plasti dip on the plate, and you can't even tell its there anymore.
Back to top Go down
Tewster2

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 3:28 pm

I had Rhino Liner sprayed on mine plus put a layer of rubber floor mat cut to shape and put rubber washers between the plate and mounts........I took the thing off and put it in the closet.......gonna get a piece of 1/4 inch think rubber...cut to size... mount it with the front two bolts and fold it back under the motor and secure it with the two underside bolts....not as protective as the metal plate but my sanity will be restored thumb
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Dont bother with a rubber mat as a skid plate, it will bend or rip when you actually need it, that stuffs just too soft.

Go get a big plastic cutting board and mount it the way you described but you will need to heat it to bend it. These are as tough as the alum ones, I have one on my other bike, it was a pita to bend but works great. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: flatlands raceing skid plate noise   flatlands raceing skid plate noise Empty

Back to top Go down

flatlands raceing skid plate noise
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next