Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rain or Fog

Go down 
+4
wristpin
bigg
Coop
motokid
8 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Rain or Fog Empty
PostSubject: Rain or Fog   Rain or Fog EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 5:38 am

This morning I rode into work in some extremely thick fog. I think I'd actually prefer to ride in rain over thick fog. At least visibility in rain is better than about 2 feet in front of bike.

Plus - I felt all damp and clammy when I got off bike.

So what's your preference (so to speak)?

Would you rather ride in rain, and get much wetter, but be able to see better, or in thick fog that still leaves you damp AND makes it difficult to see?

By the way - it's dark when I ride in to work....so consider my question around the fact that the sun's not out.

What you think?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

Rain or Fog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rain or Fog   Rain or Fog EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 7:02 am

I agree with you, I would take rain over heavy fog any day. I live in the Laurel Mountains in SW Pa and at the top of a road called "3-mile hill" so unfortunately I get stuck in the fog a lot, especially this time of year for some reason.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

Rain or Fog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rain or Fog   Rain or Fog EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 7:13 am

I quite like riding in the rain (if it's not raining too much) or at night because it requires much more attention than just normal riding. You are completely focused on it, so in a weird way it's relaxing (mind doesn't wonder about thinking of other things). But fog is a bit too much GAHHHH it's just plain too dangerous to justify choosing fog over rain I think.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

Rain or Fog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rain or Fog   Rain or Fog EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Id rather be damp than wet most importantly. Rain on whatever face protection you are wearing reduces visibility to a level I feel uncomfortable with equally to most foggy conditions I encounter. I feel in most foggy conditions the road surface will provide better traction for evasive maneuvers or stopping faster than a wet road. I hate to ride in either one, but I would prefer fog.

If you are talking about not being able to see more than 2 feet in front of you during very heavy fog or wicked thunderstorms that's scary enough in a car or truck, I would pull way over then get behind someone else and keep your distance and your fingers and toes on the brake levers.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

Rain or Fog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rain or Fog   Rain or Fog EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Its raining out right now. Here's a pic outside where im sitting now. They started putting up the fences for the RNC next week. The convention center is the building in the background. To your question, would much rather be wet than not being able to see. Rains here daily and I really dont mind it. The frogg toggs keep me pretty dry.
Rain or Fog 2012-013
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

Rain or Fog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rain or Fog   Rain or Fog EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Hate rain, first the visor fogs up, then my glasses fog up. You crack up the visor just a bit, then you get water droplets on the inside of your visor and glasses. Second rainiest state after Hawaii though so I have done rain plenty of times.
Have never ridden in fog though. There is often fog here over pastures, ponds, ditches, etc.. but rarely very thick over the road.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

Rain or Fog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rain or Fog   Rain or Fog EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:44 pm

oic0 wrote:
Hate rain, first the visor fogs up, then my glasses fog up. You crack up the visor just a bit, then you get water droplets on the inside of your visor and glasses. Second rainiest state after Hawaii though so I have done rain plenty of times.
Have never ridden in fog though. There is often fog here over pastures, ponds, ditches, etc.. but rarely very thick over the road.

Yep, I love motorcycles and ride a lot but I have no desire to prove how badass I am by intentionally going out for rides in the rain. I just stay inside the extra risk isn't worth the reward of riding in more challenging conditions.

Fog sucks too. I say neither.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

Rain or Fog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rain or Fog   Rain or Fog EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:48 pm

I am an all weather rider. I commute a lot. This past winter when the transmission went out of my civic I rode a few times down into the teens even. Rain isn't really bad if you have good gear. T-storms suck because of the high winds. I still prefer rain over fog.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Rain or Fog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rain or Fog   Rain or Fog EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:58 pm

I think you're simply going to have ride when you have to ride regardless of weather.

Like there is a choice ? If that's the case, I'll take 65-70 degrees, RH ~ 60%, no wind.

Tell me where to place my order..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rain or Fog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rain or Fog   Rain or Fog Empty

Back to top Go down

Rain or Fog
Page 1 of 1