Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New X owner

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Derogatory Term

Derogatory Term

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: New X owner   New X owner EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 am

Just traded in my 96 FZR 600 for a very clean 2009 wr250x. The dealer put on off road tires scratch so I might as well use them up. I haven't been able to take this thing off road yet but I'm very curious to see how this thing handles going from off road to street tires. Anyway to the point of this topic. How well does this thing truly handle off road on gravel/dirt/mud with actual street tires?
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 11:23 am

Get an 80/20 tire and youll do fine ,- the mud, you need a knobbie for that. Something like the Shinko 705's.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:03 pm

You can go everywhere offroad (except sand and mud) regardless because of the seating position, low weight, and ground clearance. Better tires just let you turn and stop faster off road. Not worth the trade off IMO since the increased weight reduces on road fun. I go in the woods, dirt service roads, and on single track with pilot powers on.
Back to top Go down
Derogatory Term

Derogatory Term

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 3:12 pm

oic0 wrote:
You can go everywhere offroad (except sand and mud) regardless because of the seating position, low weight, and ground clearance. Better tires just let you turn and stop faster off road. Not worth the trade off IMO since the increased weight reduces on road fun. I go in the woods, dirt service roads, and on single track with pilot powers on.

From looking at these http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/80%2020%20Dual%20Sport I think thats what is currently on my bike. I'll look at my tires when I get some time for the details. Hopefully when I switch over to street tires I'll be able to fully put my feet down when stopped.
Back to top Go down
Derogatory Term

Derogatory Term

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 7:17 pm

oic0 wrote:

I just looked at my tires and the shinko 705's are what I have!
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 7:33 pm

I had those before my current tires. They're ok but they reduced my mileage and made the bike less responsive at lower speeds on the road. Completely different feel with Pilot roads and pilot powers due to the profile, weight, and size. I wouldn't buy them again unless I were very broke (they are super cheap).
Back to top Go down
Derogatory Term

Derogatory Term

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:16 pm

I THOUGHT MY MILEAGE SEEMED LOW! Anyway wanna trade? Pray
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:28 pm

Most of that is most likely your wrist, not the tires :P They're not THAT much heavier ;) I got over 70mpg when breaking mine in, never come close since.
Back to top Go down
Derogatory Term

Derogatory Term

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:43 pm

I have what's called a need for speed. You supermotards might not be familiar with that disease hide
Back to top Go down
Derogatory Term

Derogatory Term

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 11:13 pm

Also when you had those shinkos on, did you get head wobble at 80mph+ and in a semi's dirty air?
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 12:16 am

Yeah at high speed a little breeze would give it head shake. Nothing serious but it would keep doing it until I physically stopped it. Also you might wanna glance at GPS on your phone etc... as with most bikes the stock speedo is off bad. About 7.7% stock. With the taller tires you have more like 4% or so. On that note the stock odometer is spot on but is going to be slow with those tires. You'll have to do some math compensation to properly calculate your gas mileage. I think it was miles x 1.035 but I could have the percent wrong.

Most bikes and cars you get your best mileage on the highway because of the lack of stops. Our bikes actually do better at the lower speeds in spite of the stops.
Back to top Go down
Derogatory Term

Derogatory Term

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 11:51 am

lmao this bike is seriously ass backwards. Knowing this new information I probably won't calculate my mpg until I get street tires. But even than, 1.035 won't make a huge difference. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New X owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New X owner   New X owner Empty

Back to top Go down

New X owner
Page 1 of 1