Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mucker

mucker

Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... Empty
PostSubject: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Just coming off a set of 606's...this being my second season, with my bike.
The rear tire has no flaws to me, but the front...well, let's just say, the weak point...though it held up.

I'm still, learning to ride, and love going where I can. So, I enjoy the racing topic...but getting there, is my primary concern.

Yesterday, I ordered the MT43 set...tubes, and rim lock.
I decided against tubliss....just doesnt fit my budget, and faith....tho sounds cool.

The shop advised one rim lock on the rear, and none on the front.
I'll follow that advise, 'cause it sounds reasonable...but I've heard of front rim locks too...?

Anywho, I'm putting a set of 43's on...am I missing anything?
And I have been thinking about these tires and doing some homework for the entire time...so?

...THX...
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 7:44 am

I have run the mt43 on the rear only,and the dunlop 606 f/r. I removed the front as it liked to roll over in the corners and went with a kend trackmaster. At this time i am trying the Vee rubber trials rear,so far so good.
Never liked a trials tire up front,it never felt planted. About everything i read told me not to do it. Hey i had to try. Only thing i had go wrong was i melted the center knobs on the dunlop with to much air. I had mounted it on another bike and never aired it down after i set the bead. With the center melted,think of dove chocolate, it still went another year on my KDX.
Unlike the 606 the kenda k760 front is d.o.t tire and has held up well. I use this on the front of the WR/R and the KDX as its only 56.00 $

I cannot tell anything diffrent from the mt43 and the 606 on the rear. My mt43 still looks new after one year.
One thing i did notice was Vee rubber has a tire called a VMR-021 front for the old style dual sport bikes with a little larger knob than the VMR-308 trials tire.
And yes i run a rim lock on the rear of the WR/R as i have torn the valve stem off the tube in the past. With low air i can spin the rim in the tire,some guys run one on each side to balance the tire and keep the tire on the rim if it gets a flat. On the off road only bike i run a rim lock up front,shakes to much on the street unless you balance it. I have seen tubes get the valve torn out on the front if the tire slips on the rim,it can happen.

http://veerubberusa.com/motorcycle/trail.php
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Ya, I figured I'ld go all out and try the front as well.
If that doesnt work out, either of them, then I will at least have answered a question thats been nagging me the last couple years.
I can barely wait to get 'em on, and see what all the fuss is about... :)
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Well, long story short, I have to bring my bike back to the shop to get the wheels ballanced.
Rim locks without ballance = barely rideable....hence the reason I made a big deal about it.
I 'm not even gonna mention how upset that can make one feel.

Regardless, my first ride was barely rideable.

The ride home was at 15 psi...and f'd up as you could imagine.
At 10 psi, around the yard they felt great...but that wasnt the test I was hoping for.

I guess I have to get it in for ballancing this week...while working out of town a few days...ugghhh!

Patience is a virtue...
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 10:23 pm

After a good ride or two...

These tires are everything they say they are.

I followed about 60+ km of atv trails, through very hilly/tight terrain, mucked out, wet roots, lil boulders and slate stickin out, creeks, sand trails/pits, dirt/fire roads
At 10 psi, I know my tires spun less than my guide, on a new honda 500 4x4, with nice tires at 3 psi.

Regardless, I just rolled over everything up/down/left/right...looking for places to test my tires. Only spun out when I tried to, or was goofin around.
On the trails, they were well planted and confidence inspiring...I am looking for obstacles and ingoring all rough terrain, except deep muddy ruts.

On the road, they do squirm slightly, or walk a bit, as i've heard...but nothing scary, just that big tire expressing itself.
...But, at hwy speed, the vibrations in my grips has vanished...and were sturdy overall.

And my braking has improved a bunch, everywhere, it seems.

They made that rough/ hilly trail, feel alot smoother and flatter.

Though road riding isnt an issue, I probably lost some top speed/ handling.....it's kinda hard to tell on a dirt bike.

As far as off road goes....I am more pumped than ever, to go find a trail they suck at...as if a challenge. Going farther than before sounds like fun to me.

So far, they make my bike feel better than I hoped...and a big change in feeling at that. :)
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Its like cheeting aint it.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 pm

I cant comment on wear yet...but there is plenty of casting leftovers, to yet, wear away. Just lite stuff that is yet to wear off.
My tires are almost broken in. And my first test told me....you got to come up with a better test than that.

They probably raised me a level in enduro riding.....not that I was considered any level.

Heck, they might make some local enduros possible for me... thumb

...and I went with a rim lock f+r, for hwy purposes, with >10 psi

If it works out, then i should try tubliss next time....just because I'm greedy.
Back to top Go down
thumpergirl

PostSubject: Re: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 am

How much taller is the bike with the MT43 rear tire? I heard it was pretty big. I'm barely able to touch as it is, but am considering these tires. I haven't heard many opinions about the height, but I'm a little reluctant because of that... Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 4:32 pm

I'll measure it up later...but feels like it added a good inch or so, compared to my 606, which was a bit tall too...at 10 psi.
I assume dropping the pressure more would relieve that a bit.
I used to flat one foot easy, at the stop light...now my heel is lifted.

On the bright side, I don't seem to put my foot down near as much as I used to, off road. Just keep on rollin.

*From the rim to the ground, with no weight on it...front 2 1/2"....back 3 3/8"
...they do squat a lttle under my 180+ lbs
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi,
I've got the Pirelli mt43 rear and Scorpion pro front , 9psi front, 6psi rear with the Tubliss system and the 43 has great traction. It has extra rubber where it meets the rim acting as a rim guard. It is a tubeless tire so it holds air better than a tube type tire if you are running the Tubliss system. This tire shines over roots and rocks with stellar traction and soft ride. I got stopped on a incline with the rear tire perpindicular to a wet root. I rocked back a bit, smoothly engaged the clutch and walked right over the root with nary a spin or slip. In heavy mud it is best if not spun up, tractor through. I haven't had the 43 on that long so I can't comment on wear but I am very impressed with the traction.
I tried a Michelin x-lite trials and had nothing but punctures finally ending with a ripped carcass parallel to the radial plys. I was able to complete a hero section at the Big Woods Ride for Research with the Michelin totally flat thanks to the Tubliss system but I couldn't do the road sections at the 40 to 45 mph needed to keep up with my buddies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...   Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's... Empty

Back to top Go down

Well...I've ordered a set of MT43's...
Page 1 of 1