Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Intermittent starting problem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ThuntDon

Intermittent starting problem Empty
PostSubject: Intermittent starting problem   Intermittent starting problem EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 2:38 am

This is my first post, and of course it's because I have a problem. The bike is a 2009 WR250R. I use it for riding street (work) and dirt. I have two set of wheels for it. When I first had problem the bike was about 6 months old and had the normal oil, and filters attended to. I was at 8000' camping out and getting ready to ride for the day, it wouldn't start. The fuel pump was working (I coild hear it pumping up to pressure). After cranking for a couple of minutes, I hooked up my generator to a battery charger, so I wouldn't kill the battery. After maybe 6-10 minutes of cranking it started and ran fine! I had never had any previous indications of hard start or poor running. After this the bike continued to run as expected. This went on for at about two more years with no problems. When this week going out to the garage to ride my bike to work, and it did the same thing. I cranked for about a minute, resting for several seconds between trys, and gave up! After getting back later that day I tried again, nothing! It just didn't want to start. Now I did the same thing that I did while camping, and that was place a charger on the battery to prevent killing it. Cranked some more, nothing. Dis conected battery and removed the ECU so as to re-set it. Took out spark plug, it looked okay and there was good spark at electrode. Note: while cranking I could smell gas fumes, so I guess there was some attempt at fuel injection. Got new plug, tried again, checked air filter, was quite clean. Continued cranking, and after about 5 minutes it was starting to get sounds like some life was coming back into the machine. Then it started, ran fine, and started again and again. It now looks like it starts fine and runs well. However, I don't want to take this bike into the boonies and have it do this again. Does anyone have a clue to what might be happening?
Thanks, Don
Back to top Go down

Intermittent starting problem
Page 1 of 1