Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?

Go down 
+24
Rusty Shovel
dfoustou
NateLePain
Aleeoop
saddletramp
skierd
Jäger
abchel
GusinCA
Prairieparson
bigg
Arkmage
Biglake
ramz
oic0
BuilderBob
motokid
ejfranz1
PYG RYDR
WRXR
mvonhatten
IAmABug
mucker
mdr
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mdr

Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? Empty
PostSubject: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 7:20 pm

This is my first post, and I'm not yet a WR owner, but that is the reason for my post here.

My brother and I are planning a trip to Deadhorse Alaska this coming summer. He already rides a F650 Dakar, I haven't bought a bike yet. I like the Dakar, and I realize it is a better street bike than the WR. My concern is that I live on the Oregon coast and rarely, if ever, will need to ride on the freeway, with the exception of this trip. I like the WR for just about everything else (weekend camping, logging roads, commuting to work) except for the Alaska trip, which is really the reason I'm buying a bike.

Background, if it matters, I'm in my early thirties, road street bikes for 3 years before I had kids, haven't ridden in five years.

So, what I'm asking is, will I be able to keep up with the F650? Will the lack of wind protection kill any enjoyment of riding to Alaska? Can the WR handle two weeks of 300-400 mile days? Would I be asking too much from the WR?

Yes, I've seen BigDogAdventure, but I'm afraid we'll be doing a bit more highway than he did (my brother and I are not retired!)

Are there any other issues that I should be aware of?

mdr
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 7:32 pm

The wrr won't mind a bit. Though you could find a nicer hwy bike, it'll run hwy all day if needed.
Back to top Go down
mdr

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:06 pm

mucker wrote:
The wrr won't mind a bit. Though you could find a nicer hwy bike, it'll run hwy all day if needed.

Thank you. Is there anything that will give me more wind protection? Or will I be hating going above 55 mph?
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 9:17 pm

You could look into a aftermarket windscreen for it. I have seen a few peeps on here that use them. My brother has a DRZ400 and he puts a windscreen on it for days he is doing longer rides and says it helps a ton.

One thing to consider as well is the stock gas tank is only 2gals. Most average 150kms to a tank. Might want to price a larger tank or carry gas somehow.

As for the bike, chances are you will tire LONG before the bike does. These little things rock and go like the energizer bunny.
Back to top Go down
mvonhatten

mvonhatten

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 9:20 pm

They do make windshields for dual sport dirt bikes. If you search the site I think there are some threads on here with pictures and reviews.

The WR won't have any issues on the highway. The riding style will wear you out though. Highway speeds for long periods on the WR would be very demanding to your body. I say go for it and write up a nice report! Get a nice street helmet (no visors or mx helmets) to minimize drag on your head.

If you are thinking about using her as a commuter and to zip around town, you can't beat the WR because of the amount of fun you can have with such little maintenance. It almost makes you think you are doing something wrong.... :hmmm:
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 9:32 pm

I hate going on the highway with mine. I am 6'4 and the wind hits my chest pretty hard. You have to find lots of gas stations on your way. Plus, the seat is really not made for longer trips. My butt hurts after 45 mins. Look into a Kawasaki KLR for a trip like that.
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 10:38 pm

mdr wrote:
This is my first post, and I'm not yet a WR owner, but that is the reason for my post here.

My brother and I are planning a trip to Deadhorse Alaska this coming summer. He already rides a F650 Dakar, I haven't bought a bike yet. I like the Dakar, and I realize it is a better street bike than the WR. My concern is that I live on the Oregon coast and rarely, if ever, will need to ride on the freeway, with the exception of this trip. I like the WR for just about everything else (weekend camping, logging roads, commuting to work) except for the Alaska trip, which is really the reason I'm buying a bike.

Background, if it matters, I'm in my early thirties, road street bikes for 3 years before I had kids, haven't ridden in five years.

So, what I'm asking is, will I be able to keep up with the F650? Will the lack of wind protection kill any enjoyment of riding to Alaska? Can the WR handle two weeks of 300-400 mile days? Would I be asking too much from the WR?

Yes, I've seen BigDogAdventure, but I'm afraid we'll be doing a bit more highway than he did (my brother and I are not retired!)

Are there any other issues that I should be aware of?

mdr

Check my signature. From my current stable, my preference for the kind of riding you are describing, the Triumph Tiger 800XC is my choice.
Back to top Go down
ejfranz1

ejfranz1

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm 6'2" and the after market wind screen on my XT225 just deflected the wind into my face. Prefer to ride with out one. You will need a different seat; after an hour of hwy driving on my WR, I need a break!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:13 am

Can a wr250 be ridden to Alaska? Absolutely. Just ask Skierd. thumb

Will it hurt the wr250? Nope.

Will the wr250 be able keep up with some other bike? As long as the other bike never goes faster than 90 mph - sure.

Would I volunteer to do such a thing? No F'n way.

Stock gas tanks limits you to about 70-ish miles at elevated freeway speeds and loaded down with gear.
You'd need to replace with aftermarket IMS 4.7 gallon tank, or carry multiple rotopax containers.

Stock seat would need to be replaced.

As others have stated - you'll wear out before the bike does.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:15 am

Not dissing the WR... I love mine, but if I were bikeless and contemplating a trip such as you are, I'd consider a KLR 650 instead. Simple and bulletproof, will do highway and offroad, and the '08+ bikes have excellent wind protection.

Oh, and they're cheap as well. You can find low mileage, well farkled examples for far less than a new WR.

Me at the Dragon last year:

Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? BRP-10-11
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 11:22 am

I agree on the windshield thing. With the bolt upright seating position and low bars, windshields just aren't tall enough unless you are a very short rider. I bought one and didn't use it for long. I bought it for the winter but it made me colder as it just took the cold stream of air and compressed it into a super freezing air blade directed at my neck lol. It also made things louder inside my helmet, even with ear plugs because of the increased volume of air hitting it. Poo on wind shields.

Overall though, the WRR / WRX are more city toys. None of their positive traits are evident on the highway, not even the gas mileage as it drops at higher speeds. Like someone else said, the KLR and DR are the more highway capable dual sports. There is also the KTM 690 which is almost as light as the WR but more than twice as powerful... also about twice as expensive lol. Its advantages only extend to the motor department.
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:41 pm

Quote :
Can a wr250 be ridden to Alaska? Absolutely. Just ask Skierd.

Sorry, skierd only rode across the USA and then up the west coast to WA. He took a ferry to Alaska.

But he has been riding around Alaska a bit...

Last edited by ramz on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:47 pm

I'd look for a used KLR or DR650 those bikes are built for trips like that, use it for the trip then sell it when you get back home and get the wr for your local riding, its way better for off road biased day trips than the 650s.
I've done 500 km days on the KLR with a mixed group of bikes, the guys with KLRs and the like were kinda aniod when the smaller bikes had to stop for fuel every 100 or so kms. We lost the smaller bikes on the highway too, its not that they wont go 120 km/h plus but who wants to be on a 250 doing that for an hour or so at a time lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 pm

As a very happy WRR owner, with over 11k miles ridden, I would not start out on a trip like that with such a difference in bikes. Trying to keep pace with the Dakar in both MPH and miles per day would be impossible. The WRR is not the bike of choice for such an adventure, unless it is partly your desire to complete such a trip on a small displacement bike.

And... I agree with negative comments made about windscreens for the WRR. Unless you are short enough in the saddle for the wind to flow over you, you will be buffeted by some pretty unpleasant turbulence.

If I am invited to make this trip, I will be looking for a bigger bike...
Dale
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 pm

I have never had a better hwy bike. Matter o fact my wrr is my first bike in 25 yrs.
If a ride to alaska was possible, i would take it.
I guess with nothing better to compare it to...i'ld try anything.
I've driven most of the day on the hwy...as long as it aint to cold, my speeds dont overwhelm me.
Wind noise is a bother, but earplugs help that...
The wind at 120 kph aint that bad, even with a dual sport helmet.
As long as im dressed for the weather...my butt will outlast the gas tank...I hope....heh.

Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:43 am

The big thing for me is highways. My bike feels like its got power to spare on back roads shielded by trees. Even at 70+, although its still revving to the moon. Then I get up on the highway at the mercy of the winds and it sucks. A slight headwind can feel like youre dragging a boat anchor. At least with my tall wide arse sitting on top.
My bikes sweet spot is about 60-65mph. The motor doesn't feel stressed and you never need to downshift for hills etc... like you would at 55.

Regardless, my ass wouldn't be able to take it. Heck, my nuts go numb on my commute sometimes lol.If you go through with it try one of those seat mods that uses 2 liter bottles on either side to widen the seat and add cushion
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:27 pm

skierd long distance adventures:

How I spent my summer vacation, or 6000 miles on a WR250R

Chasing dreams and the ghost of my soul

Chasing Dreams, vol. 2

That boy gets around! Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? 61865
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 1:51 pm

I put 170 miles in on saturday. About 80 going and 90 coming back. Had a several hour visit in the middle.

By the time I got there (almost entirely highway) I wasn't sure I wanted to ride home. By the time I got home my back and ass hurt like hell and my hands/feet were numb from vibration.

It's now 3 days later and I'm still kind of sore.

This is with an aftermarket seat, almost stock gearing (14-46), a lynx fairing (which I can't run any higher than 1/2 way or the turbulence starts to beat me up and will make me ill in a few miles), and better bars/grips.

Long and short of it... I had planned to set this bike up for adventure touring and even after some mods in that direction I'm not seeing the results I had expected.

I'm keeping this bike for around town, commuting, and mostly offroad dual sport stuff, but I think I've convinced myself a KLR, V-Strom, or F800 will be in my future depending on budget when I get the bug to go farther.

I'm hesitant to spend the money, but another thing I might be willing to try is a corbin seat (1" shorter) and some lower foot pegs to see if it makes the windshield more effective. If it weren't for the wind noise and turbulence I think all my major discomforts would go away except the hand/feet numbness which I can tolerate. I can even tolerate the ass pain, like bicycles you quickly adapt when you're putting on a lot of miles.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 3:50 pm

Nothing quieter than no windshield, a good fitting helmet, and some ear plugs. Serenity in my helmet Very happy I couldn't bring myself to cruise at 90 though. Thats not too far from redline! Especially if its a true 90, not a uncorrected speedo displayed.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

honestly I think this varies from rider to rider. I have no problem doing long trips of even 600 miles in one day. that is with luggage, averaging 65 mph. Stock seat, stock gearing. Though I am pretty light and skinny. and I haven't tried doing it day after day for weeks Very happy just a couple days.

I think you can do it on the wrr, with the correct mods. Surely a different bike would be better for JUST this trip. But how much do you want this bike AFTER the trip? No point getting a KLR now if later you don't want/need it, but want the WR instead. Maybe you can find a cheap KLR just for this trip?? and then maybe sell it after, or keep it when you get back but also buy a WR Very happy thumb Very happy
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 1:06 am

I'm in the middle of making mine an adventure touring machine. No trip to Alaska planned, however. Anyway, I just mounted a windshield bracket that I bought and then mounted a good size Givi windscreeen on. Now I ride at 70 with virtually no fighting of the wind at all. 70 mph is almost as smooth as on my old Honda ST1300. Bought a Sargeant seat, and its comfy for hours. Other farkles are being planned. Trip to Alaska? My only serious concern at this point would be the small gas tank and being able to carry enough gear. Still working on those problems.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:26 pm

See I've turned mine into a dirt bike with blinkers, so I'm no expert at this. Big rear sprocket and knobbies means it is terrible on the street.

That said, you will never find another bike as reliable and well made as this little machine, and in my opinion, going slow on side roads and dirt roads is the best way to see somewhere, not freeways.
And if I lived in the pacific northwest (where I just spent a few weeks this summer) I would much rather have the 250 for all the amazing trails I went on up there...
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Have you made a decision? Lots of opinions voiced here, but no response from the OP.

WR is a great bike, but having been to Alaska, I'd be inclined to choose a bike that would make the experience most enjoyable. So much to see.

As I see it, getting there will be the greatest challenge. Highway miles and stops for fuel.

Once you're there, I think the WR would be good, but carry lots of fuel. Many of the places you will want to go are far beyond the range of the standard WR tank. Not many options for fueling up on the Dalton Hwy or the Denali Hwy, which are definitely routes that you should take.

I didn't ride a KLR in Alaska. I rode a V-Strom. But the hard-core guys (and gals) were on KLRs. Saw quite a few BMW GS bikes as well.
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Look at this guys post

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 10:03 pm

I've always thought it would be fun to ship the bike all the way to the top and then ride down. Not sure I have the sitting ability for there and back... :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?   Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad idea to ride a WR to Alaska with a F650 Dakar?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next