Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising

Go down 
+3
motokid
IAmABug
thelandman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
thelandman

14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising Empty
PostSubject: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptyThu May 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Used a 106 link chain.. couldn't have gone any less. Gps says its doing about 70 at an indicated 66mph on the speedo. Engine seems less busy. Can't seem to get the sprocket cover to fit though...will be working on that now.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptyThu May 02, 2013 10:48 pm

WOW...talk about TALL gearing. Looks like you could do 180kph with that setup. Going downhill with a tailwind drafting a semi. Does the bike have any get up and go at all. I have 13/44 for my SM setup and think its to tall. Cheers and good chugging
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptyFri May 03, 2013 5:41 am

I'll bet all the scooter drivers and Prius drivers are having a ball blowing by you in stop-n-go traffic...... amazon amazon hide poser2 poser2

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Execelon

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptyFri May 03, 2013 10:04 am

Any performance mods? Is this a r/x?

I've been thinking of going 14/43 as it is alittle buzzy but I try to avoid the highway and enjoy the roads
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:39 pm

This would be an 09 X... 6 gear is sorta like an over drive gear now. Downshifting if needed is easy.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:52 pm

I think 5 and 6 are overdrive...?
And if you can't redline 6 in stock gearing...why would you gear higher, for any reason?...unless its all down hill where you are...
Anywho, just curious...
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptyFri May 03, 2013 9:16 pm

No redlining here. Just trying to lower the engine rpms on the commute. Less vibrations..and hopefully a little better mpg.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptyFri May 03, 2013 9:55 pm

I guess you could calculate the perfect rev you should cruise at.

But I can't help seeing the 250 cc's for just that.

You can be off a little...and its just 250 cc's

I'm not so critical on that...I like that it only gets so bad.

How you ride it, miser wise or performance wise, says the most.

Your throttle hand says the most...your strategy comes second.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptySat May 04, 2013 10:43 am

I wouldnt be surprised if you lost a few mpgs with the extra tall gearing.

If the motor is lugging and workig hard to stay up to speed due to being geared too tall you end up twisting the throttle further to maintian speed, compared to a motor thats running free at higher revs that takes very little throttle to maintian speed.

I had a couple guttless cars that got better mpgs in drive instead of od because they were lugging in od.

My 650 KLR also lost a couple of mpgs when I tried tall gearing on it, it didnt have enough power at low revs to pull 5th at less then 100km/h, revving the snot out of a motor doesnt hurt mpgs all thet much, trying to go 120 plus km/h does tho, its more about the speed you ride at not the revs.
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptySat May 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Will find out. There appears to be an rpm drop of about 500 at 70mph. Will update soon.
Back to top Go down
timmyooo

timmyooo

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 11:10 pm

whats the top speed you hit with this gearing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising   14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising Empty

Back to top Go down

14/39 sprocket set-up for highway cruising
Page 1 of 1