Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What do you reckon??

Go down 
+2
motokid
bfgjohno
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bfgjohno

What do you reckon?? Empty
PostSubject: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptyFri May 17, 2013 10:36 am

Recognised brands of motorcycle oil retail here for US$30 a litre !!

A new brand has hit the local market priced at US$5 a litre.

I know there's something to be said for "you get what you pay for" and 30 bucks gives you a whole lot of peace of mind but any thoughts beyond that?

The oil is Motorol SAE20W/50 Magic 4T, SL/CF - CCMC G-2. Produced by www.motorol.ae. States it's specifically formulated for motor cycles. and is made from premium base oils and advanced additives - reducing wear, excellent wet clutch performance, excellent corrosion protection, high shear stability, high RPM, high temperature performance

John

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptyFri May 17, 2013 10:55 am

I'm not a huge fan of experimenting with the one thing that could make or break my engine.

I'd rather (and I do) pay more for something I know is reliable and consistent then take a chance on ......

It's a major plus that our motorcycles don't hold a lot of oil, so being picky and paying more per liter isn't a bank breaker.

At the very least, I'd wait to see if the cheaper oil stands the test of time and your regional conditions, in other peoples machines. dunno

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptyFri May 17, 2013 3:26 pm

$30 a litre...WTF!?

Canadian prices are usually higher than the States...and I get the name brands between 10 and 20 per litre.

I've been using Bel-Ray @ 10.99...seems to work flawlessly so far.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptyFri May 17, 2013 4:26 pm

mucker wrote:
$30 a litre...WTF!?

He's in Kenya, Africa.

I'm not really shocked at that price for where he is.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptyFri May 17, 2013 6:35 pm

I'd run the 5 dollar stuff.

If it meets the specs its good enough, just change it more often, thats more improtant than what oil you pour in the motor IMO.
Back to top Go down
georgis4

georgis4

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptySat May 18, 2013 1:11 pm

And i thought €12 for 1 liter motul 5100 15-50w was too much here....wtf?
Back to top Go down
bfgjohno

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptySat May 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks for all the thoughts....... And shock at the price of the real deal!

Looks like Total have brought in some 20w50 4 stroke oil now. From the specs sheet it's API SG, JASO MA2 level.

At least it's a brand I recognise. Need to check out the price but do those specs sound okay? Am i right that 20w50 seems okay for the temperatures out here (10-40 deg C)?

Asante sana,

John
Back to top Go down
georgis4

georgis4

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptySat May 18, 2013 5:19 pm

20w50 is more than fine especially at 30+ celcius;-)
Even with 0 you can use it just let the bike warm up before you ride.20-50 is what yamaha dealers here put on our wr's unless you tell them otherwise:-)
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptySun May 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Shell rotella t6
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptySun May 19, 2013 12:31 pm

miniceptor86 wrote:
Shell rotella t6

Do they have that in Kenya, Africa? deal

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
bfgjohno

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Haven't found rosella t6. Will check tomorrow.
This stuffs mineral rather than synth. Don't want to open a wasps nest but......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you reckon??   What do you reckon?? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you reckon??
Page 1 of 1