Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Airbox Flapper Mod Questions

Go down 
+2
pbnut
IceWolf
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
IceWolf

IceWolf

Airbox Flapper Mod Questions Empty
PostSubject: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySat May 18, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm thinking about taping down the airbox flapper as many others have, but I have a few questions before I commit to it.

1. Are there any noticeable performance gains? Where in the powerband are these gains? Will it make starting acceleration any smoother?
2. I heard that this makes the bike louder. Does it make the exhaust louder or is it just air intake noise?
3. Will this lean out the bike? I have my bike running just the way I like it. Will I have to increase some settings on my programmer to offset this?
4. Is there any chance that driving in the rain or off-road with the flapper down will damage anything?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 3:16 am

IceWolf wrote:
I'm thinking about taping down the airbox flapper as many others have, but I have a few questions before I commit to it.
Before removing the airbox door completely I disconnected that flapper and pulled all the associated crap. I never did anything with the flapper, and honestly I don't think it'll move unless connected. With the big hole in the top side I don't think there's enough suction to pull that flapper up. If it was moving then I couldn't tell.

1. Are there any noticeable performance gains? Where in the powerband are these gains? Will it make starting acceleration any smoother?
Noticeable might be a stretch. I thought this was a sound thing more than anything. I could be wrong.
2. I heard that this makes the bike louder. Does it make the exhaust louder or is it just air intake noise?
Should just be intake noise, and I doubt it's much of an increase.
3. Will this lean out the bike? I have my bike running just the way I like it. Will I have to increase some settings on my programmer to offset this?
Potentially, in whatever rev range it's activated.
4. Is there any chance that driving in the rain or off-road with the flapper down will damage anything?
I don't even use the airbox door. Water has never been an issue, at least on the street where I ride pretty much full time.
Very happy
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 8:02 am

I never felt the difference when I did the "flapper mod". dunno

I also now ride with no airbox door. Now THAT makes a difference. thumb

Think about where that flapper door and "snorkel" are. To get water in there you'd have to be almost completely under water. Like, balls deep.

When I did flapper mod I did not have an efi programmer, so if you already have one you're fine without making any adjustments.

You have a powercore exhaust - loud from the flapper mod isn't going to be noticed.... poser2

Bottom line from my point of view, go ahead and do it, and never think twice about any negative impact it might have. I'd say about 98%, if not more, of all wr250r/x owners have done it and I've never seen one post about it causing any harm or damage to anything.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
IceWolf

IceWolf

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 10:29 am

Well now I'm thinking I should remove the airbox door then. I looked all over the interwebs and couldn't find much information on removing the door. I was planning on following this guide to glue down the flapper: http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/air-intake/68-flapperrem

And then following this guide to remove the AIS system: http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/air-intake/72-aisrem

Could anyone point me to an airbox door removal tutorial or tell me how to deviate from the above guides in order to remove the airbox door like Motokid has done?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 10:45 am

1) remove side panel

2) remove screw

3) remove two hinge pins (c clips prevent hinge pins from falling out)

4) airbox door falls off into hands

That simple.

If you're riding on street most f time this is great mod.

If you're riding in dirty dusty sandy conditions.....might want to re-think it.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
IceWolf

IceWolf

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 11:05 am

Well I was planning on doing quite a bit of dirt trail riding this summer...sigh. If I just glue the flapper down, is this process reversible? You're not breaking anything off, right? I'd imagine it would just be a matter of finding a solvent for the glue and reconnecting the solenoid.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 11:11 am

You can take the door on and off. Just be careful with those tiny e-clips as you pull them off so you don't loose them.

Back to top Go down
IceWolf

IceWolf

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 11:16 am

gatorfan wrote:
You can take the door on and off. Just be careful with those tiny e-clips as you pull them off so you don't loose them.

I was actually talking about gluing down the flapper and leaving the airbox door in place. Is this reversible as well?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 12:05 pm

IceWolf wrote:
Well I was planning on doing quite a bit of dirt trail riding this summer...sigh. If I just glue the flapper down, is this process reversible? You're not breaking anything off, right? I'd imagine it would just be a matter of finding a solvent for the glue and reconnecting the solenoid.

Use a small self-tapping screw instead of glue. thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
IceWolf

IceWolf

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 12:15 pm

motokid wrote:
IceWolf wrote:

Use a small self-tapping screw instead of glue. thumb

Good idea. That would be a lot easier to remove than heat-resistant glue. poser2

Still thinking about removing the airbox door though. Does anyone have any experience driving off-road regularly with the airbox door completely removed? I ride street over 90% of the time since there aren't any trails around my area, but sometimes I'll make the trip and ride on some dirt. I'm just worried about the air filter getting too dirty.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:27 pm

IceWolf wrote:

Still thinking about removing the airbox door though. Does anyone have any experience driving off-road regularly with the airbox door completely removed?

I don't. But certainly it boils down to the odds of getting water in there so it depends where you're riding.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:34 pm

gatorfan wrote:
IceWolf wrote:

Still thinking about removing the airbox door though. Does anyone have any experience driving off-road regularly with the airbox door completely removed?

I don't. But certainly it boils down to the odds of getting water in there so it depends where you're riding.

Not just water - dust/sand/dirt.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
IceWolf

IceWolf

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:59 pm

motokid wrote:
1) remove side panel

2) remove screw

3) remove two hinge pins (c clips prevent hinge pins from falling out)

4) airbox door falls off into hands

That simple.

Is it safe to ride the bike after doing these four steps without removing the AIS components? In other words, is it safe to open the side panel, unplug the tube from the solenoid, take out the airbox door and solenoid as one unit, put the side panel back on, and do a test run? Am I missing any steps? It seems TOO simple. scratch
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 5:38 pm

The AIS has nothing to do with air box mods, you can leave it alone if you want.

IMO taking the airbox door off makes the airbox just like a gasgas or ktm airbox (they have no door you take the side pannel off and the filters exposed) they work fine unless you go in deep water. The amount of dust/dirt that gets on the filter will be unchanged, if you go on a dusty ride you need to clean the filter after every ride with a stock or modded airbox.

I cut a 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 hole above the air filter for max air flow while keeping the opening up as high as possible since I ride off road in wet conditions alot.
This mods not for everyone tho, you cant undo it without making the top of the airbox ulgy.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Forget the flapper. You can pull the stuff that operates it though. It's not worth messing with in my opinion.

Give the door removal a try. If you don't like it it's completely reversible. Don't forget to adjust that programmer.
Back to top Go down
IceWolf

IceWolf

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks Biglake. Very insightful. I do have one more question for you since you seem pretty knowledgeable. I'm leaning towards removing the AIS components, the solenoid connected to the top of airbox door, and the cables that are connected to it, and removing the airbox door. It's my understanding that if I do this and need to put the airbox door back in place, the flapper will be stuck in the closed position unless I glue it open because the solenoid is what makes the airbox flapper move up and down. Correct?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 6:12 pm

The flapper will flop around in the breeze. There's no spring to hold it shut. It'll just lay there so long as the bike is upright. There isn't enough suction, with the door on or off, to suck it shut so long as you remove the actuator.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Leaving the AIS on after removal of stock exhaust might result in unwanted backfiring.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
IceWolf

IceWolf

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 6:17 pm

pbnut wrote:
The flapper will flop around in the breeze. There's no spring to hold it shut. It'll just lay there so long as the bike is upright.

Interesting. If that's the case, wouldn't that cause sporadic throttle response or some other undesired behavior?

Last edited by IceWolf on Mon May 20, 2013 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 6:20 pm

pbnut wrote:
There isn't enough suction, with the door on or off, to suck it shut so long as you remove the actuator.
If there isn't enough suction there, it's not restricting air flow enough to matter.
Back to top Go down
IceWolf

IceWolf

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 6:29 pm

pbnut wrote:
pbnut wrote:
There isn't enough suction, with the door on or off, to suck it shut so long as you remove the actuator.
If there isn't enough suction there, it's not restricting air flow enough to matter.

So if everything connected to the airbox door is removed, the flapper will remain open even if I don't glue it down? Then what's the point of people gluing theirs down? I'm completely lost here. I feel like I need someone to explain it to me as if I'm 10 years old at this point. GAHHHH

I guess ultimately what I want to know is: What's the difference between gluing the flapper down and not gluing it down when nothing is connected to the airbox door? Is there any difference?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 6:54 pm

If you dont glue or screw the flapper down after you unhook the actuator from it, it will bounce around, this may make a anoying noise, I dont know if it actually makes any noise as I went from stock to gutted flapper and an extra hole above the fliter.

It takes 10 seconds to drive a screw into the flapper to hold it down just do it and be done with it lol.

With the airbox door off you dont need any other openings in the airbox that hole is more than big enough, you would never be able to tell if the flapper was opened or closed with the door off.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Biglake wrote:
If you dont glue or screw the flapper down after you unhook the actuator from it, it will bounce around, this may make a anoying noise, I dont know if it actually makes any noise as I went from stock to gutted flapper and an extra hole above the fliter.

It takes 10 seconds to drive a screw into the flapper to hold it down just do it and be done with it lol.

With the airbox door off you dont need any other openings in the airbox that hole is more than big enough, you would never be able to tell if the flapper was opened or closed with the door off.

+1 thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
IceWolf

IceWolf

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Biglake wrote:
you would never be able to tell if the flapper was opened or closed with the door off.

But isn't the flapper a part of the airbox door? So if I remove the airbox door, then the flapper wouldn't even be on the bike. Unless I'm thinking the airbox door is something else. I was led to believe that the airbox door was the device with the flapper inside of it underneath the seat. Isn't the airbox door the thing that was removed in the picture below?

Airbox Flapper Mod Questions IMAG0693-1
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions EmptySun May 19, 2013 10:56 pm

IceWolf wrote:
Biglake wrote:
you would never be able to tell if the flapper was opened or closed with the door off.

But isn't the flapper a part of the airbox door? So if I remove the airbox door, then the flapper wouldn't even be on the bike. Unless I'm thinking the airbox door is something else. I was led to believe that the airbox door was the device with the flapper inside of it underneath the seat. Isn't the airbox door the thing that was removed in the picture below?

Airbox Flapper Mod Questions IMAG0693-1

The airbox door is on the RH side of the bike under the side panel.

In your photo the top of the airbox has been removed. Some folks don't like to do that since it may make it easier to ingest water but I had a DR650 that I ran for many many miles and creek crossings like that and it was just fine... even with a couple of underwater immersions. Granted I killed the bike before the motor could suck the water in but once I dragged it to the other side I just drained the airbox and was running again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airbox Flapper Mod Questions   Airbox Flapper Mod Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Airbox Flapper Mod Questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next