Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Down shifting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rockwell

Down shifting Empty
PostSubject: Down shifting   Down shifting EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 10:33 am

When i down shift to 1st or 2nd gear the bike feel like the clutch is not engaging and jerks forward. it only happens some of the time does anyone know what is wrong?  cry
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

Down shifting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down shifting   Down shifting EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 10:41 am

can you describe your problem a bit better? It's not very clear what you mean...

so this happens when driving around in 3rd and dropping it to 2nd while riding? or does this happen while standing still?

what speed are you downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st?

the "jerking forward" is kind of confusing me. if you are driving and downshift to second or first while going too fast, the bike tries to slow down, not to "jerk forward". you'll loose traction at the rear, bike will dive forward and engine will try to keep up by going up in revs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Down shifting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down shifting   Down shifting EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 10:49 am

What are you doing with the throttle when down shifting? 

I can't ever imagine downshifting into first gear on these bikes. eeek

I'll have to pay attention to see if I ever go from 3rd to 2nd as well. (except when rolling to stop)

I'm guessing you're either still going to fast to make that kind of transition, or your throttle hand might be doing something wrong. 

You have no issues downshifting from 5th to 4th? Or 6th to 5th? Or 4th to 3rd?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
rockwell

Down shifting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down shifting   Down shifting EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 11:14 am

sorry it has only happened when going 40mph or greater, and come up to a red light and have to slow down so i pull in my clutch and will down shift into first and ride my breaks tell i stop.
but when i am down shifting and hit 2nd gear the bike lerch forward, then 1st is evan worse.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Down shifting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down shifting   Down shifting EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 11:27 am

How fast are you moving when you downshift to 2nd and then 1st?
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

Down shifting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down shifting   Down shifting EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 11:42 am

the way I understand your statement, it sounds like you are downshifting from 40mph into 2nd, and soon after into 1st, and then apply the break to slow down.

40mph is WAY to fast be downshifting into 2nd, let alone first. if you are in 3rd doing 40mph, approaching a light, apply your brakes till you have slowed to about 20mph, with the bike still in 3rd gear. at about 20 put it into second. you can then either leave it in 2nd till you are at a complete stop, put it in neutral, wait for the light and the put it in first to go (this is what I usually do) or you can change in 1st when you are still rolling, but are almost stopped. I try not to shift into 1st at speeds over 10.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Down shifting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down shifting   Down shifting Empty

Back to top Go down

Down shifting
Page 1 of 1