Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What do you use and why?

Go down 
+15
Crawdaddy
bash3r
Jäger
WRRSam
YamWOW!
motokid
skierd
oldirt
chicko
SheWolf
YZEtc
asheville thumper
inspector
The Yeti
lancek
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

What do you use and why? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:14 pm

lancek wrote:
........Hope to make it easy for replying by using a simple list........

Chain
Clean with: Garden Hose
Lube with: WD-40

Plastics
Clean with: Garden hose and whatever is handy in garage (Windex/diluted simple green/ etc.)
Protect with: What do you use and why? - Page 2 Icon_scratch What do you use and why? - Page 2 851577

Oil and filter
Type: Rotella T (now at ~1200 miles)
Changed every: 500-1,000 miles depending on use since last change (like Jager said, oil change is price of 6" sub....easy/painless and can only help get keep engine happy)......oil filters from Rocky Mtn ATV @ ~$3

Air Filter
Type: stock
Oil: whatever moto foam filter spray I happen to have handy in garage.......I have tried'em all......the only one I WILL NOT use again is No-Toil.......that stuff is a PITA.....
Changed every: I'm used to cleaning the filter after almost every ride on my KTMs but the filter is protected much better on my WR250R (at the moment).......I've only cleaned/oiled it twice in the first ~1,000 miles........if I open up the airbox more I'll need to clean/oil it more often.....

Tires
Front - Pirelli Scorpion.......speed rated/agressive/DOT tire
Rear - Dunlop 606 rear......speed rated/agressive/DOT tire (winter/desert riding)......Pirelli MT43 Trials tire Spring/Summer/Fall - the MT43 is a DOT tire and it's "The BOMB" in hardpack/rocky conditions at ~10PSI.....it's my rear tire of choice for everything but sand......

Adders - I'll add a riim lock in the rear when I mount the Pirelli MT43 on the rear this Spring (since I'll run it at low PSI)

Adder 2 - I also took my wheels over to the local KTM shop and borrowed their balancer.....glued weights on the rims opposite the valve stems as apropriate to balance wheels.....
Back to top Go down
Max Pwr

Max Pwr

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 10:12 pm

Chain
Clean with: A quick scrub down with a nylon bristle brush in bucket of kero...when it needs it.
Lube with:Any off-road spec chain lube (even supercheap has this stuff)
Plastics
Clean with:CT-18(truckwash - get it at supercheap)/Degreaser secret combo diluted mix. Spray on with pump bottle, leave few mins, wipe down with sponge and rinse (don't let mix dry on bike)
Protect with: Lanolin or Silicone spray. Provides great resistance to future build up of dirt on next ride/s.
Oil and filter
Type:Manufacturers spec
Changed every:1000-1500km (I inly do dirt riding so change oil/filter at shorter than recommended intervals to help protect engine)
Air Filter
Type:Twin Air (not really much diff. over stock unit so far as I can feel when riding)
Oil:Any foam filter oil...Spray on is easiest but be sure to really work it in there...
Changed every:I at least CLEAN mine after EVERY ride as a rule, dirt in engine = no go...
Tyres
Front - why:Dunlop D606 Front and Rear...Fitted for free at Dealer rather than shitty Trailwings that come standard.
Rear - why:They have been really good to me so far and have achieved more than 1700KM on rear, 20% tread left (dirt riding only)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Hope that helps Lance, good to see a fellow Aussie on the forum, sometimes I feel a little lonely amongst all the miles, lb's and feet/inches...                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Cheers, Max
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Chain

Clean with: using the stuff from Krause racing (Sidewinder chain) it is natural citrus smelling stuff
Lube with: synthetic lube from Krause as well because they recommend it for the substantial investment in his stuff

Plastics

Clean with: gasoline
Protect with: don't

Oil and filter

Type:Mobil 1 AT4
Changed every: when it looks dirty, when the bike naps in the water
Air Filter Type: OEM
Oil: SX filter oil (the blue stuff)
Changed every: dirty ride or when it looks dirty

Tyres (you mean tires Very happy)

Front - why: Dunlop 606
Rear - why: recommended
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Jäger wrote:
Chain
Clean with: Plain old water & a Grunge Brush. Orange Cleaner added to water if it gets that mucky. Blow dry with compressed air.
Lube: Often, using up an assortment of left over gun oils right now, applied with a pinpoint applicator.

Once the stockers wear out, will be switching to Sidewinder Titanium II sprocket/countersprocket and 12,000 Smartchain. Probably do their 520 to 428 conversion while I'm at it - while performance gains may or may not be noticeable, strength is about the same as is cost. Reason for going all the way on the drive: I ride alone most of the time for lack of riding partners, a long, long way from where I might run into another vehicle. Had a 70 mile walk out once about 30 years ago; don't want to do that again. I place a lot of value on bulletproof.

Plastics
Clean with: Water, soft dishwashing brush, and patience. The odd shot of Orange Cleaner when req'd.
Protect with: ???????. You mean... like, wax my dirt bike?????

Oil and filter
Type: Rotella T Synthetic 5/40. Very high quality, yet cheap like borscht at Wally World
Changed every: First 20 miles, then 400 miles, then 1000 miles. Now every 1500 or less, depending.

Air Filter
Type: OEM
Clean: 1500 km or less, depending on appearance
Oil: Maxima FFT

Tires
Front - stock: Perfectly fine for my riding around here on hard dirt roads, soft trails, and slab
Rear - same
Pressure: factory - my riding doesn't require airing down and less chance of a pinch flat.

Hi Jaeger,

I went with the Sidewinder Ti2 for the exact same reason (13/46 but also bought a 12) I too have made that long walk out after hiding my bike in the woods. Plus never buying another should pay back some over time. I stayed with 520 because should the chain need replacing in a pinch, it is more common.
Back to top Go down
slolane

slolane

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Chain
Clean with: I do not clean mine.
Lube with: Pro Honda Chain Lube.

Plastics
Clean with: Automotive soap and water.
Protect with: Maybe not so much protect but I wipe down with Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. I use it on all my bikes and it's great.

Oil and filter
Type: OEM filter, Yamalube oil.
Changed every: 3000 or less.

Air Filter
Type: K&N, clean semi-monthly or with oil changes, whichever is first. I use the K&N Filter charger/cleaner.

Tyres
Front - Switching from stock to Shinko 705's for something a little more dual sport... I ride 90 street/10 dirt so I didn't want a knobby
Rear - Same as above.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 9:44 pm

Chain
Clean with:kerosene, scrub brush from $1 store, rags to dry
Lube with:chain wax, doesn't fling all over and doesn't attract dirt like lube.
Plastics
Clean with: dishsoap/water
Protect with:plexus, not really to protect but when they start to get swirls/scuffs a shot of plexus will restore them a bit
Oil and filter
Type:shell rotella T 0-40 full synthetic, OEM filter
Changed every: depends
Air Filter
Type:stock
Oil:K&N oil in a spray bottle
Changed every: time I clean it obviously
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 am

lancek wrote:
Im new to bikes and learning a lot on the fly and with input from people on this forum. What I wouldnt mind knowing are points that most of you take as a given but may not be so obvious to a newby like me. There are also lots of products found in the USA or UK that are not available here in Australia, well not easliy anyway so any similar products that you may know of would be appreciated too.

Hope to make it easy for replying by using a simple list, please add too if you think of anything else:

Chain
Clean with: Winzer Wurth chain cleaner
Lube with:Putoline DX11 around 300 miles. I go easy, as if you over-do it, lube goes all over the tyre & wheel (yikes!!) after a couple of miles...Plastics
Protect with: Ice car polish
Oil and filter Motol
Type: 5100 Semi-synth
Changed every: 3000 miles
Air Filter
Type: Yam own brand (was serviced before I purchased)
Oil:
Changed every:
Tyres
Front - why: Stock (stick like sh*t!). Can't really fault them...
Rear - why: As front

ACF50 on exposed metal work: great against road salt!
Serious cleaning: Turtlewax NanoTech car shampoo: really good at repelling dirt & maintaining shine!
Toothbrush for fine detailing....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: CLEANING CHAIN---READ OWNERS MANUAL- EVERY 300 MILES OR WET   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:55 am

After reading some responses here, I am compelled to tell you all to read your bloody owners manual. YOU MUST CLEAN YOUR CHAIN, SPROCKETTS, SWING ARM, SPOKES, AIR FILTER, ETC.. EVERY TIME YOU GET WET OR DIRTY. I can't believe some of you actually don't clean it at all. Robing yourself of hp and letting your bike go to sh*t. Wow, one guy actually uses WD-40 on his o-ring chain..... Dude, learn about corrosive materials. There are plenty of products at race shops or dealerships that degrease far better than WD-40. horse
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:06 am

Can't say the intervals I do mine has hurt anything, considering how often my Monster gets dirty and the life of my chain/sprockets. I'm still on the same sprockets and chain for over 8000 miles. What do you use and why? - Page 2 29721 I don't use WD40 on my chain, but do squirt gorilla snot on it after I wash it and every so often in between. You go with what works, and it works.

PostSubject: Do work!   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:12 am

Chain
Clean with:Kerosene and light bristle brush
Lube with: Maxima Racing Lube or Wax -- NOT WD-40!!!
Plastics
Clean with: Soap and water
Protect with: Um, why?
Oil and filter
Type: K&N
Changed every:when dirty in sight glass or about 1500 miles.
Air Filter
Type:K&N
Oil:K&N
Changed every:
Tyres
Front - why: Avon Distanzia- cause stockers suck!
Rear - why: Avon Distanzia- cause the battle-axes blow chunks!

I do use WD-40 after washing bike down on all metal parts exposed to elements, except chain and brake discs, of course. Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptySat May 15, 2010 4:49 am

Surfer-X wrote:

I do use WD-40 after washing bike down on all metal parts exposed to elements, except chain and brake discs, of course. Peace YAM

Try ACF50 - its like WD40, but has great anti-corrosion, is thicker, lasts longer, polishes better, & costs a LOT more. Oh, & apparently the USAF use it on their jets!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptySun May 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks mash100. I will give it a go! So, you hail from the gray skies of London? My family is from Clapham Common and Bristol. I'm 1st generation in the States... You must love the WR250 going around town. Great to see worldwide support- oh yeah love those Avon D's.... Thanks mate! freaky
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: ACF-50   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptySun May 16, 2010 12:23 pm

Wow... Mil-spec anti-corrosive agent! Says good for 24 months on most aircraft electrical and avionic systems. Serious stuff dude. Anybody try this stuff? http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 17, 2010 7:56 am

Surfer-X wrote:
Wow... Mil-spec anti-corrosive agent! Says good for 24 months on most aircraft electrical and avionic systems. Serious stuff dude. Anybody try this stuff? http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php
Its good sh*t alright! You can either get it sprayed on by your stealer at around £25, or get a can online for about £12 including postage. So 3 times more expensive than WD, but has way better anti-corrosive properties, & the can seems to last 3 or 4 times longer than WD. I have to keep my X outside under a rain cover all year, & so far, so good. The 2 year protection would probably be true if you didn't clean your bike for that time... It also polishes up most metals & plastics & apparently is good for lubing cables etc.
BTW: the UK is not ALWAYS grey/damp/cold, but as soon as I can afford it, I'm thinking of emigrating to Hawaii!!!! At least the roads around here are great for an X.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you use and why?   What do you use and why? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you use and why?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: General Maintenance Discussion-
Jump to: