Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Passenger pegs?

Go down 
+4
rvsixer
f3joel
motokid
mixie
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mixie

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Passenger pegs?   Passenger pegs? EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 3:28 pm

I am looking for a used WR250X and found one. I read through a whole bunch of great postings in this forum.

A few outstanding questions:
- Seller of a 2008 says it doesn't have passenger footpegs -- they didn't make them for that model. Is that true? Can I buy them and without major work install them (stock pipe)?
- Seller says that only some 2008 models had problems with the pump described in some articles? Is that true -- and can I verify with the VIN? Looks like it is a $250 potential problem otherwise...
- The bike comes with a rear Pirelli Sport Demon -- how would classify it from a road/dirt % perspective? I have 1/2 mile access road, flat, but with small rocks and lots of shallow mud.
- How vital is it to add a engine guard for -- I read on this forum that the California plumbing must be first removed to fit it.
- To install the YamaLink (lowering) -- does the entire bike need to come off the ground or can it be installed on its sidestand?

Many thanks!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs?   Passenger pegs? EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 5:26 am

mixie wrote:
I am looking for a used WR250X and found one.  I read through a whole bunch of great postings in this forum.  

A few outstanding questions:
- Seller of a 2008 says it doesn't have passenger footpegs -- they didn't make them for that model.  Is that true?  Can I buy them and without major work install them (stock pipe)?
- Seller says that only some 2008 models had problems with the pump described in some articles?  Is that true -- and can I verify with the VIN?  Looks like it is a $250 potential problem otherwise...
- The bike comes with a rear Pirelli Sport Demon -- how would classify it from a road/dirt % perspective?  I have 1/2 mile access road, flat, but with small rocks and lots of shallow mud.
- How vital is it to add a engine guard for -- I read on this forum that the California plumbing must be first removed to fit it.
- To install the YamaLink (lowering) -- does the entire bike need to come off the ground or can it be installed on its sidestand?

Many thanks!
Welcome.

1) Footpegs for passengers came on stock 2008 wr250x's. Not sure why you'd be told otherwise.

2) yes - some 2008 models had fuel pump issues. Many did not. The build date can tell you something about how susceptible your bike might be to failure.

3) I'd say that perelli sport demon is 100% street tire. Can you ride it on gravel and through some mud? Sure.
What's on the front wheel?

4) Engine guard is not vital if you're mostly riding on street. PLus, if you have the california crap on bike that acts as an engine guard already.

5) I can't imagine how it'd be possible to add lowering link while bike is on it's side stand. But I don't have one of those so maybe somebody else can answer that.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs?   Passenger pegs? EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:51 am

You need a stand to get the rear off the ground to install a lowering link.
Your bike originally had passenger pegs.
You can probably buy a set off here, post a WTB in the for sale section.
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs?   Passenger pegs? EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 11:08 am

mixie wrote:
- Seller says that only some 2008 models had problems with the pump...Looks like it is a $250 potential problem otherwise...
The pump is a $129 issue:
http://ca-cycleworks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=wr250r%2Fx&x=0&y=0

A (fugly imo) guard that can be used with the CA canister. My preference is to just move the canister:
https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=144_167_175&products_id=473&zenid=f7cfe910f464be09427ed6220ee97114
Back to top Go down
Ben10281

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Footpegs   Passenger pegs? EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Might be worth it to take a closer look at the frame where the footpegs attached.  I came across a WR when I was searching that had cut off the helmet lock and footpeg brackets then just ground the attachment points smooth and repainted the frame.

As long as the mounts are still welded to the frame you can purchase the passenger pegs and bolt them back on, but if the welded mount is gone you would be S.O.L. for sure.

Here are pics of both passenger pegs.

Passenger pegs? Photo%202-L

Passenger pegs? Photo%201-L
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs?   Passenger pegs? EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Ive got an extra set of pegs if your interested.
Back to top Go down
mixie

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Thank you for all your responses   Passenger pegs? EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:14 pm

Passenger peg: the seller learnt from your photo that the mounting tabs are still here. Once I get the bike, I'll take crazy-dave's offer to sell me passenger pegs!
Fuel pump: it is a 5/08 model with VIN JYADG22Y78A000168 -- rvsixer or motokid: is a that a model likely to have the problem?
Front tire: Bridgestone with about 1k left on it -- probably the original tire since the bike has only 4k on the odometer.

Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs?   Passenger pegs? EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Sounds like the person you bought it from wasn't the original owner.
As a guy that shelled out for a new pump when needed, well way after needed.
I just got tired of waiting for it to cool down and start again...
I wouldn't worry about the possibility of a fuel pump going out on you.
Worst case I had to do was wait 1 1/2 hours to start it again.
Back to top Go down
SkylandClyde

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs?   Passenger pegs? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 7:48 pm

Probably a bit late on this but, does anyone have a pair of passenger pegs available off the 250r? I'm seeking a set!
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs?   Passenger pegs? EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 1:29 am

I have a set of passenger pegs for sale
TwoBuells@verizon.net
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Passenger pegs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Passenger pegs?   Passenger pegs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Passenger pegs?
Page 1 of 1