Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Check that airbox!

Go down 
+5
skierd
motokid
asheville thumper
YZEtc
greer
9 posters
AuthorMessage
greer

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 5:19 am

I picked up a used '08 Tuesday, decided to change the oil and check basic maintenance items while I waited on my Yamalink to arrive. I nearly died of fright when I opened the airbox door:

Check that airbox! 351kitporchDakarWRrad035

Thank goodness the family of mice had already moved out.

Sarah

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 am

I agree 1000%.
Rodents can move on in even if the bike is sitting in a spot where you don't think that's likely.

The poor ol' air filter is often a neglected maintenace item.
It's extremely important, at least as important as your engine oil and oil filter.
Without a properly functioning air filter, your engine will be toast. :)
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 7:18 am

WOW! Do you have any idea how long it had been sitting?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 8:56 am

When you say "picked it up" did you ride the bike with all that in the airbox??????

Better to find that sooner rather than later.

WOW!!!!

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
greer

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:03 am

The bike has 1700 miles on it, I have no idea how long it had been sitting. I hadn't ridden it, brought it home in the back of our pickup. I was relieved to see the air filter looks brand new since I gave it a good going over with the shop vac.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:14 am

Interesting. Good find. Kinda not my style to buy a motorcycle that I had never ridden around a parking lot at least.

Best of luck. You'll love the WR.

Is it an X or R?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
greer

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:18 am

It's an R. You don't find many for sale with a Yamalink installed, so it's tough to test ride.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:46 pm

[smartass] hmmmm.....I don;t have a Yamalink and my bike runs fine. [/smartass]

Very happy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
greer

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 1:22 pm

That's OK, at least you are a long-legged ass.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 2:37 pm

greer wrote:
That's OK, at least you are a long-legged ass.

Sarah

All 5 Feet 7 inches of me. thumb thumb thumb

Thanks though....don't think I've ever been referred to as long legged. Not ever.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
greer

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 3:04 pm

My hat's off to you for managing that bike as is. I'm still on tiptoes with the link installed. Having a blast, though.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
skierd

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 3:23 pm

cheers Glad you decided to pick one up! You'll get used to the height soon enough... one thing to note, I sat on HF's bike when I stopped by his house for some maintenance and his was a lower than mine, and mine was loaded. Neither of us have the yamalink I think, but he does have all of the preload taken off of the rear shock. Might be worth looking into while you're digging around.

Also make sure the air filter is still in one piece with the mice living in there...
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 6:34 pm

Sarah, I'd:

*Remove the air filter from the airbox
*Remove the foam filter from it's metal guide or "cage" as it's often called
*Clean the foam air filter with some foam air filter cleaner, rinse it with water, and dry it with paper towels
*Pour on some foam filter oil (I love Maxima FFT)
*Work the filter oil through the entire filter, squeeze out the excess, and then wrap the filter in some paper towels and give it one more squeeze to make sure the excess oil is out.
*Put the air filter back into the bike in the reverse order that you took it out

You'll be left with a clean filter with a thin coating of sticky oil all over it.
This is how the filter stops the dirt that would otherwise wreck your engine parts.
Do this often.
I do mine once a week, with a mix of street and dirt riding.

The rear shock absorber has what's called a ride height adjuster, which means the length of the shock absorber can be reduced by threading in the bottom shock mount.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Mine wasn't as bad   Check that airbox! EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 12:46 am

as yours. Still dirty thou.

Check that airbox! Image001-6

Check that airbox! Image005-5
Back to top Go down
greer

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 5:56 am

Thanks everybody! The air filter had very little dirt on it, just dried grass that the shop vac removed entirely. The inside of the airbox is clean as a pin too, once I took the vac to it. I think it's OK, but I'll check again.
We lowered the bike with the shock, but I left some preload; I'll take the rest of that out and give it a whirl. I'll be glad to have a little more foot down. Thanks again for the help, everybody.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 6:20 am

Sarah, you might also consider raising the forks up a bit to help lower the bike. You'd be surprised what a few mm of adjustment will make to the ride height.
Back to top Go down
greer

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 9:32 am

Yes, I should have mentioned that, we raised them 5/8". Thanks again.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
jyam

jyam

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 11:25 pm

GAHHHH i cannot believe that..those air filters eeek never have it lookin' like that AT ALL!!!!
some people Rolling Eyes
as for the sod... do some landscapping i guess budah
WOW!

ja
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 10:45 pm

Could try some mothballs to keep future rodents away?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Check that airbox! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check that airbox!   Check that airbox! Empty

Back to top Go down

Check that airbox!
Page 1 of 1