Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR450R

Go down 
+6
TwoBuells
Wallrat
saddletramp
Nanabijou
pbnut
sophijo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
sophijo

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: WR450R   WR450R EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 9:29 am

I saw a comment in a recent post re "waiting for a WR450R" release and wondered if there really is one in the pipeline?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 12:07 pm

Wishful thinking.
Back to top Go down
Nanabijou

Nanabijou

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:45 pm

sophijo wrote:
I saw a comment in a recent post re "waiting for a WR450R" release and wondered if there really is one in the pipeline?
I've been thinking about this too.   There certainly seems to be lots of demand for it (at least as far as requests go) on the ADV rider forum.

But I think that a WR350R might work even better.  Yamaha could develop a WR350R (based on the same characteristics of the WR250R) and use the same basic chassis and design to create a YZF-R350 sibling?

Here's why I think this would work.

1. People on the ADV forums have been demanding a larger displacement version of the WR250R for quite some time. There are even petitions that have been created in support of such a bike. Ideally - it would have roughly the same weight as the WR250R - yet with about 12 more hp (30hp vs. 42 hp) if one takes into account the current hp/cc ratio of the WR250R.

2. The WR250R has an enviable reputation for reliability, low maintenance, 26,000 mile valve adjustment intervals, and considerably more power than most other 250cc singles. To have the same kind of bike with 100 more cc's would appeal to those looking for more power (a little better for highway riding) - but still capture the essence of what makes the WR250R a great bike (excellent for tighter trail riding that larger and much heavier bikes such as the KLR650 - aren't suited for).

3. By creating a YZF-R350 single - Yamaha could capitalized on the same cost saving strategy that Honda has embraced with their CBR250R (sporty) and CRF250L dual-sport siblings (i.e., parts sharing). They could even build the bikes in Thailand.

4. Rumours abound regarding Yamaha's mythical YZF-R250. Yet - no bike has surfaced yet. Perhaps now that Kawasaki has released a Ninja 300 and KTM has released a Duke 390 (and will soon release the RC390 sport-bike equivalent) - Yamaha is reconsidering. By developing a YZF-R350 - it would put them back in the game - with a bike that could compete with these new entries. With similar power to the Duke 390, a YZF-R350 would also be compatible with the new A2 licence rules that require bikes to adhere to power-to-weight limits in other countries.

Just some thoughts....

Mike
Back to top Go down

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 2:49 pm

A local dealer, Desert Valley Powersports in Prosser, WA, had a WR450R on the floor the otherday :).

It was a new WR450F to which the dealer added a dualsport kit and got it licensed. It was about $1,000 over retail.
Back to top Go down
Nanabijou

Nanabijou

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 4:28 pm

dhally wrote:
A local dealer, Desert Valley Powersports in Prosser, WA, had a WR450R on the floor the otherday :).

It was a new WR450F to which the dealer added a dualsport kit and got it licensed.  It was about $1,000 over retail.
I'm sure that would be a fun bike - especially for the dirt.  But I'm used to WR-R kinds of valve adjustment intervals, and maintenance schedules.  I suspect the WR450F will be much more intensive in that department. ;)

Mike
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:20 pm

Probability of a 450R, or even 350R, in the near future is pretty slim in my view. The folks seeking a pure power rush seem to migrate orange so the market in NA might not support development/testing/certification of a new model. Would I consider a 450R if it became available? - Sure, but you know what, this 250R does absolutely everything I ask of it with no complaints. If I want to loft wheels, I change sprockets. If I want to go on a longer trip that involves a lot of asphalt, I change sprockets, maybe tires. But for just all around great useage for a dualsport I have zero complaints on the 250. We just need to ride it within its' design limits and not compare it's performance outside those limits. I took it on a 4000 km (2400 miles) trip to Newfoundland this summer and never once did I wish for a larger bike. YMMV but this one plain works for me.
Back to top Go down
sophijo

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 10:24 am

What sprocket do you use for "alot of ashphalt"?
Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 10:53 am

dhally wrote:

It was a new WR450F to which the dealer added a dualsport kit and got it licensed.  It was about $1,000 over retail.
In states like California this isn't an option. We lost our ability to get plates on dirt bikes back in 2004. Only option we have now is either an illegal plate via an inept DMV employee or wait until the factory pays CARB their "protection money" to get the magic emissions sticker which allows the bike to be street legal.

Currently the market is pretty sad for good, lightweight factory plated dual sports. Just KTM, Husky, Beta, and Husaberg come to mind. The rest are underpowered, overweight, or both. If a <280 lbs WR450 was available and it had a decent maintenance schedule, I'd consider it instead of my KTM in a heartbeat. Unfortunately we're going to lose models instead of gain them. Our latest regulations pertaining to gas cap vapor recovery has caused manufacturers to announce that they're just going to discontinue sales of less popular models in Ca rather than waste the money on R&D.
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 6:56 pm

does a WR450 really weight 280lbs? I thought it was lighter then and wr250r:dunno: 
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 7:45 pm

TwoBuells wrote:
does a WR450 really weight 280lbs? I thought it was lighter then and wr250r:dunno: 
It is, if you mean the WR-450F.
Claimed wet weight (all fluids and tank of gas) is 273 pounds.

WR-250R = 295 pounds, wet weight.

Subtract about 20 pounds for dry weight figures.

The confusing part is that for decades, the Japanese factories listed dry weights.
Now, since a few years back, they switched to wet weights.

If you have a dry weight figure in mind for one bike, and somebody gives you a wet weight figure for another bike without specifying it is wet weight, your eyes might bug out.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Yes, a 350 or 450 motor would be more fun.
But I'm at the point in my riding career where I've begun to realize that speed hurts, and with a bigger motor I just always seem to be hauling ass for no reason other than it's fun. But crashing when you're 43 at anything greater than about 20mph isn't a good option anymore. And I don't ride street anymore (except to connect dirt trails when needed) and so I don't need the extra oomph.
My ideal would actually be an electric bike that could go 200 miles on a battery, even off road. I'd line up for that kind of silence and torque.
But for now, I just can't get over how much I love my little, quiet, spunky, efficient, and reliable as dirt 250. There's a certain charm in having a small bike, you have to think ahead, you have to slow down and smell the flowers. it's just a whole different mentality that I've come to enjoy. Who do you admire more, the guy who rides cross country on a BMW1200farkle or a 100cc Triumph from the 70's? it's like that with my bike. When I ride the Soboba in Southern California and I can make it up hills that much bigger bikes can't seem to manage people tell me I have "skillz". This is a good feeling.
So yes, make the 350 or 450, but I think I'd still just like to slow down a bit. After all, what is off roading if it's all a blur?
Back to top Go down
sophijo

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Roger that!
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Sophijo - been away for a couple days so just noticed your question. I normally run 14/50 (followed BigDogAdventures recommendation and like it) but go to 14/48 for the longer asphalt trips. Works for me. YMMV.
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 12:06 am

I also used to think that a wr450/350R would be a great idea, but I changed my mind. First, the WRR will go 70 just fine in most conditions. While we all might like to get there a little faster, the WRR is quite good. (mine is bone stock) Second if you really want a more powerful bike off road, then its probably the WR450F that could meet your needs. But what clinched it for me was riding the WRR into a very stiff wind last week. It wasn't all that stable, especially in traffic. So I could see the WRR into a stiff head wind much over 65 or 70 to be potentially putting the rider in a hazardous condition. I got it to about 62 in 5th and that was all I could get. Not that much fun. I wouldn't want to ride that way for very long. So I tend to think Yamaha knows what they're doing.
Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 7:34 am

I think that most people that are happy on a 250 aren't the type of people that would want a 450. I get on my dad's WRR and I really like the bike - I'd even argue for it as my 1st choice for certain rides. However I can honestly say I'd get bored with the power on it. Now when I hop on my KTM 450 (also plated), I'm pretty much grinning from ear to ear whenever I twist my wrist. Sure there's more frequent maintenance on the 450, but I knew that before I bought it and I work on bikes for a hobby so it doesn't bother me. I would like a seat that's wider than a 2x4 though...
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 10:19 am

Maintenance is fine. Breaking down isn't.
And from all my experience, and those of lots of others (including the two who are now on their way back to England to get more money since the 2nd bike is now making loud grinding noises in the engine) it's an issue.
Nothing in the motorcycle world compares to the reliability of a Yamaha.
Back to top Go down
Nanabijou

Nanabijou

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 10:36 am

GusinCA wrote:
Umm.  Except maybe a Honda.  But I understand what you are saying and your point is well taken.   It just seems that Yamaha has been slow out of the gate recently.   I think their FZ-09 will be a big hit.  But I'd like to see more new releases, particularly in the small-displacement segment.   With Honda's new CBR300 likely coming here in the new year - they're into the 2nd generation of their CBR250R and Yamaha hasn't even released their much rumoured and anticipated YZF-R250 yet.  Heck - even Suzuki just launched their Inazuma (GW250) here.  Where is Yamaha?

Mike
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Yeah, I guess Honda is ok too... :)

They just don't make a dual sport like the WRR. If they made one that competed directly with the WRR in power, EFI, etc I would consider it...
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Nanabijou wrote:
 Where is Yamaha?

Mike
I've been thinking about this recently as well. what with the ninja 300 and CBR300 you kinda wonder why yamaha doesn't make a competitor. I'm sure that 300cc engine would also fit nicely in a WR300R wink 
Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 11:02 pm

GusinCA wrote:
Maintenance is fine. Breaking down isn't.
And from all my experience, and those of lots of others (including the two who are now on their way back to England to get more money since the 2nd bike is now making loud grinding noises in the engine) it's an issue.
I haven't broken down yet but I also spend quite a few hours after every ride doing preemptive maintenance - to both the KTM and the WRR actually.  I'd agree with the other replies that when it comes to reliability, Honda still owns that crown.  Its certainly been true of the Honda's and Yamaha's that I've owned over the years.

But you miss my point.  Anyone that's really happy with the WRR isn't the type of rider to be begging for a WR450.  I merely used my KTM as an example of a 450cc dual sport, and was not suggesting that it was superior to a (potential) Yamaha 450 dual sport.  I ride the WRR and think, "this is a pretty good bike, but needs at least 1.5x more power and to drop a good 30 lbs before I'd consider it for my own use."  That's more than a simple "oh its a little anemic" or "its a tad heavy". As I said, I'd consider selling my KTM in a heartbeat if a plated WR450 was available (and it didn't weigh as much as a Yugo).  I'm not brand loyal, I just ride the bike that fits my needs the best.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 1:14 am

A KTM450 would be better than a Yamaha WR450R. It would probably be lighter, more powerful, handle better and have better suspension.

The only two downsides would be the added maintenance and the price.

Totally agree with you, and there are quite a few loyal KTM owners out there that have never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 7:17 am

I agree the KTM would still be better for power and handling. But despite my best efforts I don't use that bike to its full potential so a WR450 would probably suit me just fine if it stayed fairly close to the F model. I really like the 450 size but our selection of factory plated dual sports in that range pretty much blows right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WR450R Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR450R   WR450R Empty

Back to top Go down

WR450R
Page 1 of 1