Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New rider in NH

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NH_2012WRR_Rider

NH_2012WRR_Rider

New rider in NH Empty
PostSubject: New rider in NH   New rider in NH EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 10:19 pm

I have had my 2012 WR250R for just over year now.  I had street bikes in the past.  Nothing exotic. Cheap ones.  A 88 Honda Hawk, which I put ~60k miles on when I was stationed in VA Beach, and a 2003 Honda Shadow which I bought after getting my BSEE.  Those bikes are gone.  The first wrecked a few months after getting out of the Navy and the latter a casualty of a divorce.  Now I am 44 and own a bike like I always wanted as a kid.  Sometimes I am surprised I bought it.   I never have regretted it.  I'll open my door to the garage and just soak it in.  When I bought it I hoped to get good use of it.  I wondered if it would be a flash in the pan moment.  Quite the opposite.  It has exceeded my expectations.  I ride it every day possible to and from work.  It is a short commute. 3 miles, no highway. On the weekends I would ride dirt roads.  I was having fun but longing for more.  It is a "dual" sport after all.  This past summer I upped the ante.  I bought a truck and two ramps.  (At first I just bought one ramp but chickened out loading my bike.). I am doing all this, loading bikes, unloading bikes, etc for the first time at age 44.  At 44,  I have discovered a whole new exciting world of OHRV trail riding.  I love it.  I am inspired by the pictures I see on this site to do even more.  Thank you Yamaha for putting more life in my life.
Back to top Go down
wraw bite

wraw bite

New rider in NH Empty
PostSubject: Hi neighbor!   New rider in NH EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 7:15 pm

FYI- you're not the only one jumping onto one of these things later in life! I'm 50 and bought my first motorcycle ever (WR250R) a few weeks ago. Just passed the testing requirements for MA class M license yesterday at the Street Wise Cycle MSF training center at MOM's (Motorcycles of Manchester South) in Foxboro about 1.25 mi south of Gillette on Rte 1. I had a hack mini-bike as a kid, but never a proper motorcycle. I sold my Suzuki KQ Oct 30 2013 and bought the used 2008 WR Oct 31 (Craigslist listing a few days prior)thumb . It has been getting harder and harder to take ATV trips north due to kid's sports involvement. I am a NHATV Club Member and loved taking my kids to the trails of NH with their own quads. Gonna miss that quad. They have a great trail program in your state. MA is lame. I've covered a good amount of ground in NH. I snow board at Bretton/Cannon usually and take my boat to Winnipesauke occasionally. The only thing missing is a camp in the NH Woods! Love it up there. Look for me wearing a white Nolan N104 helmet and Joe Rocket jacket.
Back to top Go down
NH_2012WRR_Rider

NH_2012WRR_Rider

New rider in NH Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rider in NH   New rider in NH EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 pm

That's cool. Why the switch from the ATV? Generally I see that there are more places that allow ATVs than trail bikes. I would not mind owning an ATV but for now I really enjoy challenge a trail bike affords. I have been out on trails three times in the last two months and will go again this Friday. Two most recent were at Hopkinton Everett. It is a really great place. There are wide open areas of dirt and sand and trails that offer differ challenges. From packed dirt to roots to rocks to creek crossings. I have a ball. Last time I spent 4 hours riding. I can handle some trails but had to turn back on others. I go on my off Fridays so I am not in anybody's way. I lay my bike down each time I go. It was hard to take the first time. But in a way I am relieved that it has received a few scratches so I dont stress anymore. I got the Flatland radiator guard and skid plate package. Still no handguards. I had to replace a clutch lever. I carry a spare with me now. I ride with a flourescent yellow jacket and have a black Ford F150 FX4 super cab. Sounds like you got your share of toys. Good for you.
Back to top Go down
NH_2012WRR_Rider

NH_2012WRR_Rider

New rider in NH Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rider in NH   New rider in NH EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 9:20 pm

My goal this evening is to successfully post a picture. Some people have some outstanding posts. really nice forum
Back to top Go down
wraw bite

wraw bite

New rider in NH Empty
PostSubject: Hey Neighbor   New rider in NH EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Admittedly the simple answer is a few too many toys and interests and not enough time to do'em all! The WR allows me to ride public roadways around here too AND venture where the pavement ends (where permitted)bannana .  I got the ATV's for seasonal versatility and because NH allows minors to ride (within their rules which are ok by me). Plus my son has no digits on his left hand and a motorcycle was/is a bigger challenge for him than a quad. I would go with the kids and we had a great time together. We've been to Hop/Everett. It's getting beat up though. So I stopped riding there. Me and the kids got lost in Sullivan County trails one time and we went thru hell and high water (literally) until it was dark and finally got back to civilization (we followed locals then broke off but took a wrong turn down a closed trail that was a stream full of holes and boulders). After that episode I always packed camping gear/flares in case of emergency. I usually go to Little Monadnock Family Trails in Swanzey near Keene thumb  Now without the quad...cry  Been up to North Country in Stratford, Mt. Moosilake, Salmon Brook, Bear Brook State Park (for the annual Toys for Tots Ride), Jericho Mountain, Pisgah, Warren, etc. Like I said, I've covered a lot of ground in NH.  

You must be aware of this trail information link:

http://www.nhstateparks.org/experience/atving/trail-information.aspx
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

New rider in NH Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rider in NH   New rider in NH EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 8:35 pm

hello, I live in Connecticut and I take my wrr to new Hampshire every summer...the white mountains are a great place to ride......
Back to top Go down
NH_2012WRR_Rider

NH_2012WRR_Rider

New rider in NH Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rider in NH   New rider in NH EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 10:44 am

Where do you go?   Last year was my first year at it.  I have gone to Hopkinton Everett, which is just west of Concord.  I am interetested in trying some places further north.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New rider in NH Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rider in NH   New rider in NH Empty

Back to top Go down

New rider in NH
Page 1 of 1