Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fork Service-Oil and Levels?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kabulpostie

Fork Service-Oil and Levels? Empty
PostSubject: Fork Service-Oil and Levels?   Fork Service-Oil and Levels? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 8:46 am

Hey guys,
New WR owner here picked up my 08 monday and I know the forks haven't be serviced since then and the right fork seal is completely blown. I'm taking it in for service this week and am wondering if the standard 5w oil is going to be best for my size and weight. I'm 155-160lbs without gear and at this point am not willing to spend money on re valving etc.

Second, how much oil should I tell them to put in. Ihave searched and am a little confused as I have seen recommendations for anywhere between 115-130..and I can't figure out if that is a volume that is dumped into the fork or if it's how much space from the top of the fork to the top of the oil?

This is my first Dirt bike so I apologize for my ignorance.

Thanks for the help  thumb 
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Re: Fork Service-Oil and Levels?   Fork Service-Oil and Levels? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 1:34 pm

I use 5w set at 120mm which is the measurement from top of from tube fully bottomed (see post below).  Pretty easy to do yourself without any special tools.  There's pretty good instructions on racetech.com, YouTube, and I posted my suspension upgrade.  Just do the fork seal part.....

Last edited by LordEndo on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Fork Service-Oil and Levels?   Fork Service-Oil and Levels? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 8:17 pm

A measurement in millimeters is with the spring removed, the spring guide removed, the rebound damping push rod removed (goes through the damping rod), the fork tube and damper rod bottomed, and all of the air bled from the oil.
Then, you measure from the top of the oil to the top of the outer tube (fork bottomed).

If you have no other preference, tell them to set the oil level at the standard spec., which is 105mm.

The standard oil and viscosity is what I'd go with (KYB 01), which is approx. 5wt.
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Re: Fork Service-Oil and Levels?   Fork Service-Oil and Levels? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 9:17 pm

YZEtc wrote:
A measurement in millimeters is with the spring removed, the spring guide removed, the rebound damping push rod removed (goes through the damping rod), the fork tube and damper rod bottomed, and all of the air bled from the oil.
Then, you measure from the top of the oil to the top of the outer tube (fork bottomed).

If you have no other preference, tell them to set the oil level at the standard spec., which is 105mm.

The standard oil and viscosity is what I'd go with (KYB 01), which is approx. 5wt.

Lol....+1 on yzetc's post - disassembled and bottomed.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t10154-ghetto-racetech-upgrade
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork Service-Oil and Levels?   Fork Service-Oil and Levels? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fork Service-Oil and Levels?
Page 1 of 1