Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

High Temp sealant?

Go down 
+3
gatorfan
Smashey
xaman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
xaman

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 6:30 pm

I tried searching for a while but came up empty...

I've got a used Megabomb header and Q4 coming tomorrow, install hopefully on Friday. Hoping to have all the needed supplies on hand for a quick install.

Should I use some sealant between the header and pipe, or is it tight enough without?

I dug around and found some high temp thread sealant, and some regular RTV silicone, but no High temp RTV... Wondering if I Need to run to the auto parts store?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Smashey

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 7:10 pm

shouldnt need it, im not sure it would help anyway the exhaust gets rather hot... lol
just clamp it together like its intended
Back to top Go down
xaman

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I thought I read that there was no clamp with the megabomb and Q4 setup? Maybe I'll get lucky and the original owner will have included instructions :)

Tomorrow is the day. I've already done the exup and airbox, and installed the fmf programmer in prep. Can't wait to test it out!

Maybe my servo module thingy will arrive today too. Does anyone know offhand if I take it off tomorrow and it throws the check engine light, will the light simply go away once I install the plug? Or is it better to wait till I have the plug in hand to remove the stock pieces?
Back to top Go down
Smashey

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Q4   High Temp sealant? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:44 pm

You might be right about the q4.
With the servo module you want to plug in the replacement after taking the motor out, you might risk the cel coming on if you turn the key on in between. Best to wait.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 9:56 pm

It'll come with instructions.
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 10:16 pm

Even if the seller doesn't include instructions, it's pretty hard to screw it up. The pipes will only fit on the bike one way.  I sealed the pipes with high temp RTV, but then I also put anti-seize on the header flange bolts and locktite on the can mounting bolts.  I'm just particular about fasteners like that.
Back to top Go down
xaman

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 11:36 am

Got it all bolted up. The harder part was getting the old one off.

Anyone know what the torque specs are for the header flange bolts? I have a tendency to over toughen things, but I don't want it to leak either :)
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 2:39 pm

xaman wrote:
Anyone know what the torque specs are for the header flange bolts?

I'd like to know that too.  I couldn't find it anywhere, and just tightened them up 1-2-1 until they felt snug.  Fortunately, I'd had my arm calibrated the week before...  poser2
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 5:50 pm

xaman wrote:
Got it all bolted up.  The harder part was getting the old one off.

Anyone know what the torque specs are for the header flange bolts?  I have a tendency to over toughen things, but I don't want it to leak either :)

14 ft-lb
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 6:10 pm

BuilderBob wrote:
xaman wrote:
Got it all bolted up.  The harder part was getting the old one off.

Anyone know what the torque specs are for the header flange bolts?  I have a tendency to over toughen things, but I don't want it to leak either :)

14 ft-lb

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ajsalida

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 6:33 pm

I just did this exact thing couple of weeks ago. No clamps, fit is very snug so any excess sealant you put on will get scraped right off as you assemble. I put a very thin bead around the end of the header, smeared it with a paper towel, slipped the Q4 pipe end over it. I doubt you really need any but I figured why not. Permatex high temp black sealant.
Back to top Go down
xaman

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 12:28 am

I got it done and had a nice test ride. Everything feels good, much better than stock. Sounds better too. Thanks for everyone's help.

14 lbs isn't much, I'm glad I asked!

Back to top Go down
xaman

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 1:09 am

Forgot to mention, the new exhaust melted my blinker:

High Temp sealant? CB7746EA-99AE-4236-A681-89532A01BD5A

poser2 

The stocker never hurt it, guess I need a new mounting point and a new blinker...

Here's another before the mud:

High Temp sealant? 2E4EB274-2338-4537-97CD-2CE58086B5FE_1
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 3:10 pm

xaman wrote:
Forgot to mention, the new exhaust melted my blinker:

High Temp sealant? CB7746EA-99AE-4236-A681-89532A01BD5A

poser2 

The stocker never hurt it, guess I need a new mounting point and a new blinker...

Doesn't appear that you had stock turn signals on that bike.
Back to top Go down
xaman

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 7:46 pm

No, thankfully they are just cheap aftermarket ones, mounted closer to the pipe than stock too. But I'm still surprised it melted the housing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

High Temp sealant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Temp sealant?   High Temp sealant? Empty

Back to top Go down

High Temp sealant?
Page 1 of 1