Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Noob with questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kabulpostie

Noob with questions Empty
PostSubject: Noob with questions   Noob with questions EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 9:51 am

Hey There,
Have had my bike for a week or so and am interested in mods that don't require any programmers.. So flapper mod and EXUP or do those require some reprogramming?
Thanks for any help.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Noob with questions   Noob with questions EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 12:08 pm

If I were keeping stock exhaust, I would NOT remove or disconnect EXUP.

The EXUP does not rob performance, and some say it helps with low range.

That's just me though.

You can do flapper mod.

Gearing change would be something you could do, although that messes up your speedo without also buying a speedo correction device.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Re: Noob with questions   Noob with questions EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 12:35 pm

+1 on that.

If you're not changing exhaust and putting a programmer on, just switch to a 12t front, adjust your chain and it'll be like a different bike.....
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Noob with questions   Noob with questions EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 12:44 pm

I would do the gear change first and see what you think. IMHO that is the best bang for the buck.

If you want to try it out at very little cost just pick up a 12 tooth front sprocket and see what you think. No need to replace the chain then.

If you like it you may want to consider picking a new chain, front, and rear sprocket at some point along with a SpeedoDRD to correct the speedometer for the gearing change (http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59). You don't need the SpeedoDRD you just need to know your speedometer will be off.

As far as a new chain and sprockets go I am running a 14 tooth front sprocket and a 50 tooth rear sprocket which comes close to the same ratio as running the stock rear sprocket with a 12 tooth front sprocket. The reason I am running the 14/50 combo is I was trying to avoid wear on the swing arm chain guide. You will find this to be a pretty controversial topic on the WRR. Many run the 12 tooth front without issues and some have issues... same thing can be said for the 14 tooth sprocket.

In your case I would probably wait to change the sprockets and chain until after you wear out the current set and then go bigger if you want.
Back to top Go down
kabulpostie

PostSubject: Re: Noob with questions   Noob with questions EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Unfortunately I just bought new sprockets and chain. The bike is an 08 and only has 5500 miles or so on it. I was cleaning the chain and noticed that pieces of o ring were falling out so I decided to replace them all. I occasionally have to ride a pretty good distance an a 65mph stretch so I was reluctant to gear down. I may pick up a 12 tooth (easier to change out is my guess) to see how I like it. The speedometer already seems wildly inaccurate so I'm too worried about that yet...I was looking up trail tech products and may pick up something.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Noob with questions   Noob with questions EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 3:36 pm

kabulpostie wrote:
Unfortunately I just bought new sprockets and chain. The bike is an 08 and only has 5500 miles or so on it. I was cleaning the chain and noticed that pieces of o ring were falling out so I decided to replace them all. I occasionally have to ride a pretty good distance an a 65mph stretch so I was reluctant to gear down. I may pick up a 12 tooth (easier to change out is my guess) to see how I like it. The speedometer already seems wildly inaccurate so I'm too worried about that yet...I was looking up trail tech products and may pick up something.

Gearing down may help higher speeds a bit, since the bike makes more power in the upper RPM range to overcome the aero drag. I have 13/45 gearing and can cruise at 80 mph comfortably (well, maybe not comfortably, but the engine doesn't seem too stressed...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noob with questions   Noob with questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Noob with questions
Page 1 of 1