Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
skierd

mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead Empty
PostSubject: mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead   mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 12:43 am

For those of you who have dirt tires on your X wheels, and mount your own tires... how hard have you found it to break the bead on dirt tires compared to street tires? I'm thinking about going back to the stock R wheels for the simple ease of mounting and dismounting tires compared to the street tires on X wheels, but I don't want to give up the quicker handling of the X wheels.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead   mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 8:25 am

I never had dirt tires on my wheels, but I used to change tubeless tires on my other bikes and I use this:

mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead IMG_2444

Used some scrap wood to make it. It works like a charm to break even the toughest beads. I changed the street tires on my X wheels, but don't remember it giving me a problem.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead   mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 11:52 am

As soon as I can find a way to put that in my tank bag my worries will go away. :)
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead   mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 3:33 pm

skierd wrote:
As soon as I can find a way to put that in my tank bag my worries will go away.  :)

No worries.  

Dirt tires are, generally much easier to break the bead on than street tires.  I just changed front and rear last night (took off Shinko 244's and mounted MT-43/MT-21 combo) with no tools necessary to break the bead.  

Lay your new tire on the floor, lay mounted tire on top of new tire (new tire will keep rotor/sprocket off the ground) and step on old tire with your foot alongside of the rim.  Pop goes the weasel.

Don't try to put your foot in your tank bag, though.   thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead   mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead Empty

Back to top Go down

mounting dirt tires on x wheels, breaking the bead
Page 1 of 1