Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration

Go down 
+7
dirtytrixx400
rydnseek
ramz
mwakey
toast
motokid
PonchoV
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
PonchoV

Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 4:26 pm

OK! a little up date. Bike is running a bit better. Have been on the phone w/ Chris of Dobeck in MT. Yes, the FMF fuel programer is American designed & made in MT.
Chris has talked me through a couple of changes but only after a strick test ride(s) & reporting back w/ my findings.

Today, just a few minutes ago, I spoke to Matt who wrote the program for our wr250r/x. They are treating my little issues like I just bought a jet plane from them. Talk about customer service. Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 61865

Seems that my x was getting a bit to much fuel during hard throttling. A stock system can do the same. Having the stock exhaust but removed the valve in the pipe didn't throw a wrench into the works.

Also learned, hope I say this correctly, the lights signal the up grading levels to the stock fuel settings. That is to say that if I punch out/down the blinking lights to the lowest setting then I'm just setting the fuel injection back to Yamaha stock.

Where some of the real brain working comes to my aid is that now we are working on the second set of lights (last three).

My first 3 modes are now 3-0-0. I have to tell you that the bike still is not perfect but the studdering is way down on the scale from where it started. Power is greater than before & I am very confident after a bit more testing & input from the Chris & Matt show, my x will be even better.

Matt was test riding a wr250 w/ & w/o the stock muffler while working on the program. There was an after market muffler when not using the stock can.

Well I am off for some more riding.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 6:50 pm

You say your first three modes are now 3-0-0. How did you get mode 2 and mode 3 to zero? I thought the lowest setting you could go was 0.5 (which is the stock Yamaha setting).

You also said you had the jerking before you installed the FMF, so how do you explain that?
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Mark,
I can only tell you what Matt & Chris have related to me during about 5 phone calls & a couple of emails.

As to explaining the same jerking before the install of the FMF, The only thing that I have done differently is to install an iridium plug recently. Heck I haven't even changed the tire pressure. Well actually a KLR riding bud did wire up my Zeta signals, we blew a fuse but nothing else different.

The big difference is in my riding style. During the day of the FMF install I really got on the throttle through the lower gears.
Never before that time had I hit the throttle that hard on this bike. Everything had been a bit on the sedate side of shifting. I will tell you that the high speed riding I did was very gradual. Went to 94 a few times just to feel the over all bike's behavior.

But if you're looking for something that you can feel good about then I can't help you as to just why the bike runs now or ran the way it did, other than what I have been told after
getting help from Matt & Chris.
Maybe that is not right either. I received a lot of possibility to look into from other riders. I looked into all of them.

For me, there is still a lot of mystery inside this Yamaha.

The bike is still not perfect but it is much better.
Just did the last changes to the last three modes.
That also helped. But there is still some studdering but now in a different gear & not at a hard throttle snap.

I directly asked Matt about removing the valve from the stock muffler forward pipe. He said it might raise the decibels & would lessen the back pressure. But then so does the after market exhaust.

As so far as the bottom setting in mode 2&3, those are from Chris. His simple terms to me helped me to understand what is going on. I know he had to get down on my level & it worked. If you say there is no zero but only a .5 at the bottom then I believe you are right.

This is not my first fuel injection bike (3rd) but it is the first one which I took things off of & welded things on to.

Honestly I think I'm going to have to get out of my lazy comfort zone & take the time & learn more about this 250.
There is a lot going on that I totally have no clue about. But I'm looking forward to taking it to KLR/DR country. You want to come? Promise to have a cooler full of iced Budlite.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 10:01 pm

PonchoV wrote:
Promise to have a cooler full of iced Budlite.

Did you say BUD Light? He wanted a BUD Light! Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 723941 Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 500735
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 10:07 pm

OK OK ! you can come too Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 983966 might be a party building somewhere.......
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 5:25 pm

#1 rule
Never modify your bike if it has a problem
It all gets messy, no one will help you diagnose it and you're lost

Fix first, then mod

#2 rule
If your bike had a problem before you put a mod on, dont keep messing with the mod trying to fix the original problem

In the end you may be able to adjust an aftermarket part to mask the original problem but you never fixed the problem

When you discover a problem stop what you are doing and if you have to, back up through whatever changes you have made even if you have to go back to stock

And you cant really blame the dealer or manufacturer if they wont give you warranty on something like this
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Actually that is pretty good wisdom.....even comming from a guy in pruple.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 12:42 am

Actually the pic isn't me LOL
In my work I've seen a lot of mods for the wrong reasons
Made a lot of mistakes while modding stuff too
I just know the hard way when i see it happening
Good luck
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

0007onWR wrote:
Actually the pic isn't me LOL

Well, thats not the way we see it.... That is YOU all the way! Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 851577
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 10:31 am

wink Actually Red is MUCH better looking IRL...although seeing him in a banana hammock would be rather...interesting... Very happy

flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 11:49 am

For Europe versions there are certain restrictions taking place in second and third gear, because these gears are used to perform homologation tests needed for legalizing this type of motorbike for street usage. These effects will engage at second and third gear when doing full throttle acceleration and every motorcycle over here has got them somewhere. They can be mechanical for carb.bikes or electronical for FI bikes.
Usually if set up properly you would not realize these effects apart from not receiving full acceleration.
But in case you opened up your airbox removing the door moving in synchronization with those 2nd and 3rd gear restrictions, you may very well encounter too much air for too few fuel at those moments the restrictions take place. This may very well result in sudden loss of power for a moment.
Since you experience it at 2nd and 3rd gear only I very much suspect this.

Reattach airbox door, make it operational, deactivate the FMF programmer and retest for those effects. Airbox door in my opinion is first in line to be a potential problem here when not perfectly matching the FI mapping. BTW such effects are quite common for carburator bikes with mistaken jettings.
Same may probably apply for EXUP, I cannot really tell, but for sure there is no relation to AIS removal. AIS is operational only with closed throttle (this is why we realize slight sound irregularities when closing throttle while running). It will just burn the blow by through fresh air injection. There is no relationship to the catalytic converter as well, which is controlled through the Lambda sond.

Happy testing!
Phil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Uh, how would the bike know what gear you are in? There is no gear position sensor, just a neutral switch... Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 1:26 pm

SpaGuru wrote:
Uh, how would the bike know what gear you are in? There is no gear position sensor, just a neutral switch... Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 Icon_scratch

Since I have not disassembled one I cannot tell, but many bikes here know about. Also I cannot tell for US bikes, but doing this in second and third gear only sounds very suspicious.
Back to top Go down
PonchoV

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 12:19 pm

Just an update on my bucking X.
It now runs great. Every once in a while it take a little more cranking to get it started when hot.
But that is really not often nor much of an issue for me.
Want to thank everyone for adding their wisdow to help me.

Had some tuners read all the postings & what flatboarder posted sent them to run a vin search. flatboarder is correct about some Euro bikes & many early 08 wrx were equal to Euro bikes. Very little difference says the helpful tuners. Note they did no changes to my bike & like the way it ran, after all the help from the good guys at FMF. Only suggested a richer setting later if I wanted a little more lower end.

They also checked the chain. Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 613970
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration   Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Major bucking, 2nd gear strong accelleration
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2